ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else sick of Bill Raftery?

Have been sick of him for years.

It doesn't seem like he really understands anything about the particular teams playing or the big picture of what's going on. He just states mindless observations and tries to squeeze in his stupid, annoying little catchphrases from time to time.

You could just make a soundboard of different Raftery quotes and hit them at random times and you'd get the same effect as his color commentating.

Bill Raftery will celebrate his 81st birthday next month.
So his contract with CBS TV could expire before he does.
His catch phrases belong in the Smithsonian Institute and
so will his coffin.

I used to really like Raftery, but if you listen, he usually knows next to nothing about the teams he is announcing. I usually really dislike Wisky, but I thought they were getting screwed regularly by the zebras, especially down the stretch. Purdon't showed that they are not as good as some think they are. Gard outcoached Painter today.

well. I am getting tired of him today that is for sure. CBS tends to keep color guys too long (i.e. Al McGuire in the past).

Even Grant Hill has gone downhill.

B1G is lucky to have some great analysts--Hummel, Bardo, Davis, Morris... Except for Andy Katz.

Even Grant Hill has gone downhill.

B1G is lucky to have some great analysts--Hummel, Bardo, Davis, Morris... Except for Andy Katz.
I could do without Bardo. He used to be better than he is now. I don't know if he stopped doing research before the games he called or if he just doesn't care, but he's getting a lot wrong these days.

Bardo is the worst... Him and all his Illini alum on Big Ten Network are sickening homers. Get rid of all of em.

LOL...to funny. Most Illini fans think he goes over the top to praise whoever Illinois is playing so he doesn't seem like a homer. It's funny to see how different fan bases view things.

Personally I like Hummel a lot, but I'm reading more and more fans who do not. I think he does a really good job of explaining the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSC72
LOl...to funny. Most Illini fans think he goes over the top to praise whoever Illinois is playing so he doesn't seem like a homer. It's funny to see how different fan bases view things.

Personally I like Hummel a lot, but I'm reading more and more fans who do not. I think he does a really good job of explaining the game.
Hummel is the best of the BTN announcers IMO.

Bardo is the worst... Him and all his Illini alum on Big Ten Network are sickening homers. Get rid of all of em.
I disagree, and Illannoy is at the top of my "hope they fail for the next century" list. Nothing better than watching the Orange Crush sad.

Katz is the one guy, who I think sucks. Hummel is probably my favorite, although most of the B1G analysts are really good IMO. They were also stud BB players.

I have an attachment to the older generation announcers, if only because they're a link back to growing up. Objectively, alot of them should have retired a long time ago, but their voices resonate... Dolph, Berman, raftery, mush-berger.... I missed not being able to listen to two guys named Jim on the radio. Hell, I even miss listening to sid Hartman up here in the twin cities

I could do without Bardo. He used to be better than he is now. I don't know if he stopped doing research before the games he called or if he just doesn't care, but he's getting a lot wrong these days.
Bardo sucks a$$
He is beyond annoying.

Reactions: LukaDuka
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT