ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else sick of the kids and their gun law crap?

Agree with them or not, think they're vapid or not, most every HS sophomore and above will be eligible to vote in 2020. Will they? Historically, turnout in the 18-24s is low, but Obama got more of them out and for the moment (at least), they seem as politically active as any generation since Vietnam.

If they stick with it their biggest contribution could be bringing out the votes of young adults.

Reactions: hawkifann
I guess attacking some people that have personally experienced gun violence is a tactic that qualifies as a "bottom of the barrel" response. They have made some very calculated, sensible statements and have offered some reasonable solutions. I suspect there is a middle ground, but the gun advocates are adopting the "they're going to go door to door" to confiscate weapons fear mongering.
They are attacking lawful gun owners, NRA members, and concerned parents and Grandparents who, disagree with their ill-advised solutions, as terrorist and murders,expect some push back.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
Personally, I'm not tired of reading about high school kids caring about what happens in this country. I'm not tired of high school kids playing an integral role in organizing what some have referred to as the largest march in Washington D.C. history.

What am I tired of hearing? The "talking point" that these kids need to quit asking the government to do something and that they should be doing something else to try to help others in need.

First . . . politicians are elected (a.k.a. "hired") to "do something" as part of the government. They are "hired" to represent their constituents and paid to listen to what the citizenry has to say. The First Amendment of the Constitution includes the words "right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Like it or not, these kids have a grievance. They are airing it in numbers. Large numbers. Historically large numbers. And . . . to translate for the DT Barnum supporters in the audience . . . the numbers were "huge." They were "amazing." Consequently, when I hear guys like Rick Santorum complain about fellow U.S. Citizens demanding action from our elected officials and belittle these high school kids as not doing anything productive . . . I shake my head. When we get to the point where politicians feel compelled to belittle high school student for engaging in an activity which forms the bedrock of our society, there is something wrong.

Second . . . and related to the above point . . . I am sick and tired of hearing politicians - who have no problem taking millions of dollars from lobbyists demanding action on a particular policy or issue - who appear to be offended and bothered by the hundreds of thousands of high school students who are demanding action on a particular issue. Since when do the lobbyists have a monopoly on appealing to the politicians for policy change? (I ask that rhetorically) When I hear folks complain about these high school kids demanding action on guns but don't have any issue with the NRA paying millions of dollars to politicians . . . I shake my head. So freaking stupid.

Personally, I'm not tired of reading about high school kids caring about what happens in this country. I'm not tired of high school kids playing an integral role in organizing what some have referred to as the largest march in Washington D.C. history.

What am I tired of hearing? The "talking point" that these kids need to quit asking the government to do something and that they should be doing something else to try to help others in need.

First . . . politicians are elected (a.k.a. "hired") to "do something" as part of the government. They are "hired" to represent their constituents and paid to listen to what the citizenry has to say. The First Amendment of the Constitution includes the words "right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Like it or not, these kids have a grievance. They are airing it in numbers. Large numbers. Historically large numbers. And . . . to translate for the DT Barnum supporters in the audience . . . the numbers were "huge." They were "amazing." Consequently, when I hear guys like Rick Santorum complain about fellow U.S. Citizens demanding action from our elected officials and belittle these high school kids as not doing anything productive . . . I shake my head. When we get to the point where politicians feel compelled to belittle high school student for engaging in an activity which forms the bedrock of our society, there is something wrong.

Second . . . and related to the above point . . . I am sick and tired of hearing politicians - who have no problem taking millions of dollars from lobbyists demanding action on a particular policy or issue - who appear to be offended and bothered by the hundreds of thousands of high school students who are demanding action on a particular issue. Since when do the lobbyists have a monopoly on appealing to the politicians for policy change? (I ask that rhetorically) When I hear folks complain about these high school kids demanding action on guns but don't have any issue with the NRA paying millions of dollars to politicians . . . I shake my head. So freaking stupid.
For the record, as it turns out, this wasn't even the biggest march on Washington in the past year, let alone ever. I don't think they should be belittled, but I don't think their numbers, significance or influence should be inflated, either.

I agree they are right to demand action by their legislators, whether or not I agree with the specific actions they are demanding.

Your comment had nothing to do with mine, as far as I can tell. That's why I questioned what you were trying to say.
What exactly did you mean by your comment?

"Nothing extreme about the anti-gun forces."

What exactly did you mean by your comment?

"Nothing extreme about the anti-gun forces."
My point was that, just as there are extremists on the pro-gun side, there are extremists on the anti-gun side. Just look at the signs and statements from the rally.

You said being pro-gun hasn't worked (if I read your sarcasm correctly), which (1) had nothing to do with what I wrote, and (2) isn't correct, anyway; if it were, the anti-gun people wouldn't be having the marches and rallies.

My point was that, just as there are extremists on the pro-gun side, there are extremists on the anti-gun side. Just look at the signs and statements from the rally.

You said being pro-gun hasn't worked (if I read your sarcasm correctly), which (1) had nothing to do with what I wrote, and (2) isn't correct, anyway; if it were, the anti-gun people wouldn't be having the marches and rallies.
My point is simple: there are those who called for a few basic regulations as it relates to guns and the right (and Obama's admin actually) has done next to nothing. Instead, NRA supporters keep going to the extreme.

I am not aware of any of these kids who have called for outright gun confiscation. I myself am against that. Yet, we end up with tons of stupid memes and talking points from the right and nothing gets done. Nothing.

And then reasonable adults start bashing these kids. The kids aren't the problem. The adults are ...

Reactions: Rudolph
They are attacking lawful gun owners, NRA members, and concerned parents and Grandparents who, disagree with their ill-advised solutions, as terrorist and murders,expect some push back.
Given the media and ad push from the NRA, I don't think you've chosen a very sympathetic group. The NRA, and it's members in a "guilt by association" stance, have to be willing to compromise. Whether that's more thorough background checks, age limits, or sale of certain weapons...they have not shown any attempt to look for middle ground.

Everyone realizes the vast, vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. But unfortunately the acts of a few have put the spotlight on them. It's no different than a comparison to how DUI laws have become stricter because of bad decisions by a few.

The fear mongers that have pushed the idea that the goal of these protests is total gun confiscation are doing their own a disservice. And the more that they show an unwillingness to compromise... the more extreme the opposing view will become.

Overall, I believe the public sentiment is with the youth at this point.

But unfortunately the acts of a few have put the spotlight on them. It's no different than a comparison to how DUI laws have become stricter because of bad decisions by a few.
But, but, but cars don't drive drunk, people do.

So why have a law against drunk driving when people will do it anyway? Such a stupid law. Hasn't prevented any deaths. People should be allowed to drink and drive if they want. ;)

Reactions: naturalmwa
If this movement is the beginning of getting NRA and other lobbying groups' money out of politicians' pockets, I will be thrilled. The days of politicians acting in THEIR interests, based on bribes, and not the interests of the American people need to end. If these kids move us in that direction, I hope they keep it up.
What about the oil companies and the other bigger lobbies. Why pick on just the NRA? Convenience?

Protesting was so important to democracy that our founders wrote it into the constitution.

It's ridiculous to senators tell people that their protests about the problem are meaningless.

Whenever someone tells you that you should be doing something else and not protesting. That's when you know that they don't have a good solution they just know they hate your solution.

And quite frankly I can tell these protests are having an effect because the right has all but abandoned their usual talking points on guns and gone straight for ad hominem attacks on teenagers who where shot at. They go from they too young to understand these things, to "other teenagers eat tide pods", to look she wore a Cuban flag, she's a dirty commie lover.

My wife watched a protest that because my brother was there to counter protest. The counter protestor's argument against what was being protested. Basically " 'merica" They chanted "USA, USA, USA".

You know your side is losing the argument when the only response you can come up with is 'merica.

Trump supporters have displayed the confederate battle flag at Trump rallies. I'm sure you were outraged.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tru...yozaAhUBL6wKHU3FCKAQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=873

Among others...

1200px-charlottesville_-unite_the_right-_rally_35780274914_.jpg

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Given the media and ad push from the NRA, I don't think you've chosen a very sympathetic group. The NRA, and it's members in a "guilt by association" stance, have to be willing to compromise. Whether that's more thorough background checks, age limits, or sale of certain weapons...they have not shown any attempt to look for middle ground.

Everyone realizes the vast, vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens. But unfortunately the acts of a few have put the spotlight on them. It's no different than a comparison to how DUI laws have become stricter because of bad decisions by a few.

The fear mongers that have pushed the idea that the goal of these protests is total gun confiscation are doing their own a disservice. And the more that they show an unwillingness to compromise... the more extreme the opposing view will become.

Overall, I believe the public sentiment is with the youth at this point.
Compromise is a funny word use here. Compromise would suggest give and take. Say gun control proponent want universal back ground checks, gun rights supporters want to de-regulate suppressors. We give you universal checks you give us suppressors, we have compromised.

Your idea of compromise would be gun control groups want to take away 10 things,gun right groups willing give up 5 . In your mind we have compromised. That is not a compromise at all.

For the record, as it turns out, this wasn't even the biggest march on Washington in the past year, let alone ever. I don't think they should be belittled, but I don't think their numbers, significance or influence should be inflated, either.

I agree they are right to demand action by their legislators, whether or not I agree with the specific actions they are demanding.

I, too, have no interest in getting into a DT Barnium debate over size of crowds, etc. That written, when you look at the numbers of young people who participated on Sunday and consider them to be motivated voters . . . politicians would be well advised to not ridicule their efforts.

I, too, have no interest in getting into a DT Barnium debate over size of crowds, etc. That written, when you look at the numbers of young people who participated on Sunday and consider them to be motivated voters . . . politicians would be well advised to not ridicule their efforts.
I will say -- again -- that they should not be belittled. And I have never suggested it wasn't a big crowd. 200,000+ is one hell of a big crowd, one of the biggest of the year in Washington.

Reactions: Gimmered
What about the oil companies and the other bigger lobbies. Why pick on just the NRA? Convenience?
Did you not read where I said "other lobbying groups"? NRA sounds like a great place to start since they are fighting against people who are trying to stop mass shootings.

I don't know if I'm sick of it, but I think the significance is being wildly exaggerated -- which was completely predictable.

The media loves these kids because they're coated in teflon,... You really can't criticize them without getting immediate push back...

I look forward to the posts getting upset with pro-life marchers for not addressing the root causes of abortions, not compromising, trying to take away constitutional rights, not leading with the nuance, not proposing reasonable reforms, etc.

Hell, there was schooling shootings when I was in high school, and we didn't act like we knew what was best.

How about embracing the kids on the fringe instead of looking for the Gov to solve it for you?

I blame their parents. This generation is soft because of their parents. The crazy thing is, we didn't grow up soft.
278cxv.jpg

Did you not read where I said "other lobbying groups"? NRA sounds like a great place to start since they are fighting against people who are trying to stop mass shootings.
Nobody is fighting against stopping mass shootings. They just have a different opinion of how to do it. When you see a reason I shouldn't own a gun, I see a reason why I need one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT