ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else sick of the kids and their gun law crap?

When you see a reason I shouldn't own a gun, I see a reason why I need one.
Yep. Insecurity.

It's ok. I'm all for you having a gun!

I thought he made a good point. One of the reasons nothing will ever get done.

I would also suggest the left get rid of the signs ban all guns when they are marching, would probably also help with conversation.

Reactions: Gimmered
Nobody is fighting against stopping mass shootings. They just have a different opinion of how to do it. When you see a reason I shouldn't own a gun, I see a reason why I need one.
There could be myriad reasons why you "shouldn't own a gun". A history of domestic abuse. A history of mental illness that includes threats of harming yourself or others. A criminal background.

Are you suggesting that violent felons or the mentally ill have a "need" for a gun because some think they "shouldn't own a gun"? Seems kind of extreme to me.

There could be myriad reasons why you "shouldn't own a gun". A history of domestic abuse. A history of mental illness that includes threats of harming yourself or others. A criminal background.

Are you suggesting that violent felons or the mentally ill have a "need" for a gun because some think they "shouldn't own a gun"? Seems kind of extreme to me.
Absolutely not. What I referring to is these acts of violence or mass shootings. I have no problems with background checks and other regulations, and restrictions. I just understand that they won't go very far to prevent these things.

I understand there's lots of idiots that already own guns that shouldn't that is why I feel the need to.

But more importantly I really enjoy shooting.

To answer the original question... Yes, the NRA, its brainwashed minions and the politicians the NRA has paid substantially... They are all sick of the kids who were shot at.

What the fvck are you talking about?

They're trying to start a goddamn dialogue because, frankly, the adults haven't done anything for them.

Just like any group that has concerns and is sick and tired of seeing little if anything changed. They are tired of it and are letting people know it.

From 1990 to 1999 there were 62 shootings on school property resulting in 89 deaths.

2000-2009: 63 shootings 105 deaths.

2010 - present: 146 shootings 161 deaths.

There's a trend and it's not for the better. If the adults aren't capable of making some changes, then perhaps the youth can.

I for one welcome their opinions and call to action.

Guns have been around for the entire existence of our country. The AR-15 has been around and for sale to civilians since the '50s. When scientists run an experiment they use a control group and an experimental group. I ask, what has changed since the 1950's? What happened during the 1990's, then the 2000's, and on into the 2010's that could possibly be different then all other points in the history of this country?

Oh yeah, computers and by extension cell phones then smart phones. Starting in the 1990's and exploding in the 2000's and 2010's computers, smart phones, and the advent of "social media" have changed our society and the way kids interact. Cause and effect.

Cause: a detachment from the real world by delving into the cyber world, a lack of human interaction, a lack of human relationships and working through problems and conflict resolution, access to a non-stop barrage of influence and content, cyber bullying that never ceases.

Effect: kids who become young adults who have mental issues and problems in dealing with the society. Result, mental illness, disengagement, violence, shooting up schools, their tormentors.

Solution: why are we focusing on guns? Guns have been around the entire time and are not the root cause of our issues. Why do we not address the real issue, a detachment from society, a breakdown in human interaction? Time to put limits on smart phones, tablets, computers, etc. for minors. Maybe put time limits or data limits on these devices for those under the age of 18. Instead we tech up our classrooms and put iPads into the hands of our first graders. Just plug the kids in and let the device babysit them. What could go wrong?

Solution: why are we focusing on guns? Guns have been around the entire time and are not the root cause of our issues. Why do we not address the real issue, a detachment from society, a breakdown in human interaction? Time to put limits on smart phones, tablets, computers, etc. for minors. Maybe put time limits or data limits on these devices for those under the age of 18. Instead we tech up our classrooms and put iPads into the hands of our first graders. Just plug the kids in and let the device babysit them. What could go wrong?
Can't.

Cons are against regulation and violation of personal freedoms. Sorry bro.

Good idea otherwise.

Nobody needs a lot of things. I thought he was pretty spot on. It's called rights and not sure why some are wanting to give up on them.
No one here is wanting to give them up.

Simply some want additional and tighter restrictions. Just like a driver's license.

No, but not really paying much attention to either camps. Got too many streaming options anymore.

The media loves these kids because they're coated in teflon,... You really can't criticize them without getting immediate push back...

Disagree to a point as far as these kids being criticized... not the media, but you've seen on this forum the story about Steve King and his remarks. So there has been rebuke of these kids and the far right has made no effort to rebuff King. In a way... it's similar to the cons who have criticized the sexual harassment accusers and have attempted to belittle them in the Trump and Roy Moore cases.

The partisan hacks will have no trouble tearing them down. Fox has spent parts of the last three evenings doing that very thing. As despicable as that sounds...lil Tuck and Hannity are doing it.

Guns have been around for the entire existence of our country. The AR-15 has been around and for sale to civilians since the '50s. When scientists run an experiment they use a control group and an experimental group. I ask, what has changed since the 1950's? What happened during the 1990's, then the 2000's, and on into the 2010's that could possibly be different then all other points in the history of this country?

Oh yeah, computers and by extension cell phones then smart phones. Starting in the 1990's and exploding in the 2000's and 2010's computers, smart phones, and the advent of "social media" have changed our society and the way kids interact. Cause and effect.

Cause: a detachment from the real world by delving into the cyber world, a lack of human interaction, a lack of human relationships and working through problems and conflict resolution, access to a non-stop barrage of influence and content, cyber bullying that never ceases.

Effect: kids who become young adults who have mental issues and problems in dealing with the society. Result, mental illness, disengagement, violence, shooting up schools, their tormentors.

If you're looking for a control pretty much all of Europe, Australia, Japan, Canada many of these places all have cell phones, social media, video games etc. Why do they have siginificantly less gun violence?

Disagree to a point as far as these kids being criticized... not the media, but you've seen on this forum the story about Steve King and his remarks. So there has been rebuke of these kids and the far right has made no effort to rebuff King.

None of the conservatives here rebuff Steve King because he's basically a right wing version of Louis Farrakahn,.... He's an idiot and nobody want's to acknowledge his existence....

None of the conservatives here rebuff Steve King because he's basically a right wing version of Louis Farrakahn,.... He's an idiot and nobody want's to acknowledge his existence....

Steve King is a sitting Congressman representing Iowa.

I know full well who the idiot is....

Just pointing out the problem with your analogy. He was voted into office by Iowa republicans and represents Iowans. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect Iowa cons to distance themselves from him if they disagree. He literally represents them.

Just pointing out the problem with your analogy. He was voted into office by Iowa republicans and represents Iowans. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect Iowa cons to distance themselves from him if they disagree. He literally represents them.

Doesn't represent me,... Not my district....

Doesn't represent me,... Not my district....

I love these little micro distractions/distinctions/obfuscations.

Your proposition was that people shouldn't expect the cons on this board to distance themselves from King because he is just a fringe person. The response is that he literally represents Iowa conservatives in Congress. That is his job.
That is reality.

You should not find it surprising, or particularly illogical, that people on an Iowa message board would expect Iowa cons to express disdain for his idiocy or be presumed to be in agreement. It isn't always right, but it is a logical heuristic.

Your proposition was that people shouldn't expect the cons on this board to distance themselves from King because he is just a fringe person.

No, my proposition is that I am so far distanced from Steve King, that I refuse to acknowledge his existence...

No, my proposition is that I am so far distanced from Steve King, that I refuse to acknowledge his existence...

This is reasonable, but what you said was much, much broader.

He did refer to other lobbyists as well.
Nice utopian idea, but getting the big money (i.e. lobbyists) out of politics will happen after a unicorn wins the Kentucky Derby and you know it!

If you don't fund your candidate, your candidate never makes it out of the primary.

If you're looking for a control pretty much all of Europe, Australia, Japan, Canada many of these places all have cell phones, social media, video games etc. Why do they have siginificantly less gun violence?
There isn't an inner city culture rife with gang violence.

No one here is wanting to give them up.

Simply some want additional and tighter restrictions. Just like a driver's license.
Speaking of a driver's license, there are additional processes in order to get different classes of licenses. Part of the reason for this, of course, is safety. Driving a bus full of kids should require additional training and testing, including a background check. Driving an 18-wheeler, same deal.

Why not the same for guns? Could we separate guns into classes?

Australia did, I think.

But cons wouldn't like that.
Yes I vaguely recall this now that you mention it. As to cons, who knows. The problem isn't cons so much as it is the NRA does such a wonderful job influencing cons.

It's all about $.

Reactions: srams21
Farrakhan serves in the US Congress? When was the last time Farrakhan was relevant? In the news, even? He's not even close to being King's left-wing doppleganger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT