ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else watching Oregon/Arizona? Bill Walton is completely...

GoUIowa

HB All-American
Sep 30, 2001
...embarrassing himself. Do you think he's drunk or is he always this obnoxious? I'm only half joking. At most.

He probably smoked a couple before the game. Pissed me off when I turned on the game and heard his freaking voice. The guy is unbearable and for that reason I'm going to bed. I'll check the score tomorrow.

Re: Anyone else watching Oregon/Arizona? Bill Walton is completely...

Can't listen to him. He makes Vitale seem good.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He's hilarious. Have you ever looked up from the bottom of the Grand Canyon? Have you ever been to a volcano?

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Still the best college basketball player ever.
You must not have seen Kareem Jabbar (Lew Alcindor), Larry Bird or Magic Johnson play. Just to name a few.
laugh.r191677.gif

Walton is Walnuts tonight.

I just try to translate what he says into what I assume it would sound like if one were to eat a bunch of 'shrooms. He seems to make sense if one thinks in that manner.....

Bill Walton isn't even in the top 10 of greatest college basketball players ever.

83Hawk posted on 3/15/2015...

Bill Walton isn't even in the top 10 of greatest college basketball players ever.

*The 1973 Memphis State team might have a differing opinion.

His biggest problem as an announcer is that he does not take his job seriously.

Walton likes to toke and listen to The Grateful Dead-that along makes him cool.

Can't stand him as a college b-ball color man but his goofiness makes him funny.

Just some of Bill Walton's accomplishments at UCLA.
2× NCAA champion (1972–1973)
2× NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player (1972–1973)
3× National college player of the year (1972–1974)
3× Consensus first-team All-American (1972–1974)

Walton is funny the first 5 to 10 minutes. After that he gets annoying.

For soybean......

I think cases can be made for these 10 (in no order):
1. Lew Alcindor
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Bill Russell
4. Tom Gola
5. George Mikan
6. Magic Johnson
7. Bill Bradley
8. Oscar Robertson
9. Pete Maravich
10. Jerry Lucas

There's also Larry Bird, David Thompson, Bob Petit and Elvin Hayes.

Originally posted by 83Hawk:
For soybean......

I think cases can be made for these 10 (in no order):
1. Lew Alcindor
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Bill Russell
4. Tom Gola
5. George Mikan
6. Magic Johnson
7. Bill Bradley
8. Oscar Robertson
9. Pete Maravich
10. Jerry Lucas

There's also Larry Bird, David Thompson, Bob Petit and Elvin Hayes.
I think an honest arguement could be made for these six...but Walton would have to be on that list somewhere.

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Still the best college basketball player ever.
You must not have seen Kareem Jabbar (Lew Alcindor), Larry Bird or Magic Johnson play. Just to name a few.
laugh.r191677.gif
Alcindor might have been better than Walton...but Bird & Johnson, while great players, are doubtful.

"I think an honest arguement could be made for these six...but Walton would have to be on that list somewhere."

Obviously people have differing opinions. Walton was great, no doubt about it. Too many of the old timers get forgotten...guys like Gola. And many of today's fans don't realize how dominant guys like Mikan and Russell were.

Originally posted by 83Hawk:
"I think an honest arguement could be made for these six...but Walton would have to be on that list somewhere."

Obviously people have differing opinions. Walton was great, no doubt about it. Too many of the old timers get forgotten...guys like Gola. And many of today's fans don't realize how dominant guys like Mikan and Russell were.
I'm sure that is true. I'm 64 and do not remember them playing in college.

I'm "only" 56 and certainly never saw the old timers. Read about them though, and heard interviews from the old school media guys that saw them, and guys who played with/against them. Fascinating stuff.

watched the game with my dad, who is 65 and therefore watched a ton of walton. he also has a little sportscasting experience. he thinks walton is great. we laughed out loud multiple times, particularly when Pasch subtly added "by the way he is 0 for his last 6" in the middle of a Walton soliloquy about god knows what.

his opinion was that walton can basically say whatever he wants about college hoops,and given that a watch random pac 12 for entertainment purposes, i found it hard to argue.

when so many only spend a year in college or skip it completely its hard to compare college players now. Walton is not really in the conversation as regards top 10 college players of all time. Just not. Top 20 maybe.

Now if you said top 10 college CENTERS of all time then you probably have a good case.

Mikan? Please. Only because he played when everyone was 5'10".

Walton was 3 time national POY. Can you name 10 guys who've done that?

George Mikan was a great player in his era. Let's be honest players are bigger and quicker now. Do you think the football teams from the 50's could fare well against today's teams? Two other players and maybe someone mentioned them were Bob Cousy and Wilt Chamberlain.
smile.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT