ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever cruised to Alaska?

I did in 2022 and although it was amazing, we left with the feeling that we wished we had organized our own trip outside of using the cruise lines.
Glacier Bay was an incredible site to behold, the cruise ship goes up and parks a few hundred yards away from the really big glacier. We actually saw a big piece fall off and felt lucky to see it.
However, at that same time, there was a much smaller boat that was like right up close to it and we were all jealous.

I did in 2022 and although it was amazing, we left with the feeling that we wished we had organized our own trip outside of using the cruise lines.
Glacier Bay was an incredible site to behold, the cruise ship goes up and parks a few hundred yards away from the really big glacier. We actually saw a big piece fall off and felt lucky to see it.
However, at that same time, there was a much smaller boat that was like right up close to it and we were all jealous.
What excursions did you do?

What excursions did you do?
That's another thing, we had 2 of the 3 cancelled because of boat malfunctions that we only found out about the morning of and it was too late to book anything else. We kayaked in Skagway, and we just tooled around the other ports where our excursions were cancelled

I know several people who have cruised to Alaska and the two couples who went on Princess raved about how great the ship was.
I don’t think there’s a really bad cruise experience for Alaska though - even Carnival gets good marks. I think a lot of that can be attributed to the demographic though.

We had two cruises canceled during Covid. We ended up abandoning the cruise and planned our own trip. Flew into Fairbanks and used it as a hub for the first several days. Went on a small plane to a town north of the artic circle. Took the train to Talkeetna and spent several days there. Flew in another small plane over Denali. Took the train to Anchorage and spent the last 4-5 days there. The train ride down to Seward was spectacular.
We saw a lot more than your average cruise tourist but not everything we wanted to see. We'll be going back to do some more.

We had two cruises canceled during Covid. We ended up abandoning the cruise and planned our own trip. Flew into Fairbanks and used it as a hub for the first several days. Went on a small plane to a town north of the artic circle. Took the train to Talkeetna and spent several days there. Flew in another small plane over Denali. Took the train to Anchorage and spent the last 4-5 days there. The train ride down to Seward was spectacular.
We saw a lot more than your average cruise tourist but not everything we wanted to see. We'll be going back to do some more.
What was your cost on that per person?

Sounds amazing.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
We’ve done 4 one week Alaska cruises, 3 Seattle round trips with Royal Caribbean and 1 with Celebrity from Seward to Vancouver. That’s my recommendation. Fly to Anchorage, rent a car and spend a couple days at Denali. We did whale watching trips in Sitka and Seward, the train excursion in Skagway, helicopter rides to the glacier for the sled dogs (too expensive but we had our grandkids), the totem pole park in Ketchikan and zip-lining. I think it’s probably easy to find fishing trips but I’d look at reviews carefully because they’re going to be expensive so get what you’re willing to pay for.

I've done a 2 week cruise from Seward to Vancouver. What are you looking to know? The city stops are pre-planned and some have less options than others.

Don't you have to be 70+ to do one of those cruises? I mean you really can't do one of those cruises without being old. Am I Right?
Haha the population is definitely 80 percent plus retired people on those cruises from my experience

Literally just got back from a 10 day land and cruise tour on Wednesday. My wife and I took our parents. Went on Holland America. Stopped in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, the Glacier, and Whittier then took the train up to Denali and spent 3 days there. Flew back home from Fairbanks. Truely Gods country. Let me know if you have questions.

This is the way right here.

We did something similar with a flight into Fairbanks. Rented a car and did Faibanks, Talkeenta, Girdwood, Seward, Homer, and Anchorage. Several day trips into the National Parks.

Still so much to do and see, but wouldn’t have done it any other way.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Do you have recommendations or tips? I would like to fish if I can in Sitka.
I never have but my uncle who lived in Seattle raved about Alaskan cruises. He was always pitching for a Alaskan cruise family reunion but it never came to fruition.

We did something similar with a flight into Fairbanks. Rented a car and did Faibanks, Talkeenta, Girdwood, Seward, Homer, and Anchorage. Several day trips into the National Parks.

This. Got to get into the mainland.

This. Got to get into the mainland.
We were told when we were in Fairbanks that only 2% of visitors make it that far north. The vast majority fly into Anchorage to get on a ship in Seward. We have two more trips planned but not scheduled. One to go up in the winter for the northern lights. The other to fly into Fairbanks and then head west.
For those who have never been inland, you have to remember that there are one ~750,000 people in Alaska spread out over a vast amount of land. There is quite a distance between population centers which is why there are more private plane owners and operators there than anywhere else. Take the train if you can. You'll see a lot that way.

Reactions: NLHawkeye88
One of my favorite pictures I’ve ever taken. Out on an excursion on Katmai NP. Saw 50+ bears that day, this one being the closest.
EE7uah6_d.webp

Nope, but slightly cool story bro time.

About 15-20 years ago, my grandparents and a bunch of their relatives all decided to do an Alaskan cruise. I can't remember the specifics, but they flew to somewhere in Canada, and then we're going to drive a somewhat decent distance to get to Alaska. They were going to stop at some parks or something on the way up I believe. It was going to be like a month long trip. Anyway, they were driving down a highway in the absolute middle of nowhere. They hadn't seen a vehicle for over an hour. As they were driving down the highway one of the tires on one of their vehicles blew out, they lost control, and flipped the car. My grandmas brother was severely injured, and bleeding really bad. They were in a valley, and had no cell service at all. All the sudden a Corvette pulled up and parked, and a guy with a bag hopped out and ran up. He was an emergency room surgeon/doctor, and had a bag of medical equipment in his vehicle exactly for situations like that. He stabilized her brother, and was able to make a call over a radio to get a medical chopper out there to take her brother to the hospital. He fully recovered.

/csb

Have been to Alaska many times. Fly into Anchorage,rent a car and see what you want,when you want. Book a fishing trip out of Seward. Use J-Dock charters.

Reactions: ihhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT