ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever fish Lake Icaria near Corning?

HawkeyeShawn

HR Heisman
Nov 9, 2001
Just wondering what’s in the lake before I head down there for the weekend. Not much available on the line. DNR report says Channel Catfish are biting.

Just wondering what’s in the lake before I head down there for the weekend. Not much available on the line. DNR report says Channel Catfish are biting.
Fished it a lot with my grandpa when I was younger. So it’s been about 20ish years or so. My grandpa always wanted to target walleye and crappie when we went there. Haven’t heard much about it over the years though.

Edit: Also, don’t trust what you see on the DNR report. Those get made up a lot. And that’s straight from the mouth of a guy that worked for the DNR for awhile (not me, a buddy). See if you can find any fbook pages or online sites for local bait shops. Those are much more accurate.

Thanks for the common sense fishing advice that can literally be applied to any lake.

You've probably never been to Adams County let alone Corning. With that being said, Icaria has a distinct divide between the two areas. A road goes over the lake by the campground.

Used to go camping there. Stayed in the cabins at the campground entrance as well.

If you go fishing there, go on the side of the lake with the trees instead of the side with the beach and the tubing going on.

We are staying at one of the cabins and taking our boat for tubing, skiing and floating. I’ll probably get up early and shoreline or dock fish. It’s my relaxing time away from the wife and kids.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
You've probably never been to Adams County let alone Corning. With that being said, Icaria has a distinct divide between the two areas. A road goes over the lake by the campground.
Did you read this thread?

Fished it a lot with my grandpa when I was younger. So it’s been about 20ish years or so. My grandpa always wanted to target walleye and crappie when we went there. Haven’t heard much about it over the years though.

Edit: Also, don’t trust what you see on the DNR report. Those get made up a lot. And that’s straight from the mouth of a guy that worked for the DNR for awhile (not me, a buddy). See if you can find any fbook pages or online sites for local bait shops. Those are much more accurate.

We are staying at one of the cabins and taking our boat for tubing, skiing and floating. I’ll probably get up early and shoreline or dock fish. It’s my relaxing time away from the wife and kids.

There used to be a group of four cabins at the beginning of one of the campgrounds, kinda farther from the lake than others. We liked these because you could stay up late and be a little louder than if you were down in the campground.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Uncle caught a damn nice striper there a few years ago. Believe it was close to the west side. I've never had much luck there and am more of a farm pond kind of fisherman. Having said that, I'd fish close to the beach as possible

Reactions: McLovin32
Stayed in a cabin and fished there two June’s ago. June isn’t a very good time for Walleye so I assume July/August isn’t either. They have floating jugs where underwater stick piles are.

Between the bait shop and the hwy going over the lake were piles in the shallow water. We simply trolled those and caught a couple crappie and a bunch of stripers.

The shore straight north of the bait shop and cabins has a road that seems to disappear at the waters edge. There is an old road bed that can offer some good jigging. As stated above, there is a section that is like a farm pond and has standing timber.

There is more fishing acreage than boating acreage I think.

Stayed in a cabin and fished there two June’s ago. June isn’t a very good time for Walleye so I assume July/August isn’t either. They have floating jugs where underwater stick piles are.

Between the bait shop and the hwy going over the lake were piles in the shallow water. We simply trolled those and caught a couple crappie and a bunch of stripers.

The shore straight north of the bait shop and cabins has a road that seems to disappear at the waters edge. There is an old road bed that can offer some good jigging. As stated above, there is a section that is like a farm pond and has standing timber.

There is more fishing acreage than boating acreage I think.

Much appreciated.

Buddy went out fishing for cats with liver and ended up with a decent bass. Same day, ends up with a cat on a worm.

I never catfished too often, when I did I never had luck with liver. I caught a 3 or 4 lb channel catfish one morning at about 6am on a spinner bait. Heck that was probably 20 years ago.

Reactions: SHAWKER
The ultimately goal in draining Viking was to get rid of Yellow Bass I believe. They are invasive and literally eat everything.

ADVERTISEMENT