ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone find new hope for this season after that butt ugly win?

Were you expecting a win over a terrible illanoy team would be the turnaround for the season? If so, you need to really re-think your expectations.

It's a win in conference. Take it at face value.

This is a good post but you left out an important part of what Bennett does. He only recruits guys that want to play defense. You can't take a high school SR that doesn't play any defense and turn him into a defensive minded player in 18 months. He recruits according to his emphasis on defense. Fran recruits with no emphasis on defense. That's why we rarely play any defense.
Of course he recruits to fit his program. My only point is that the Iowa guys are capable, with good defensive teaching, drilling, and coaching (like that of Bennett) of playing much better defense.

Mine is a counterpoint to posters who posit that the Iowa guys are flat out incapable, and I used Virginia because its roster is not night-and-day different than Iowa's, especially as it relates to comparing Bohannon with Guy, Moss/Dailey with Jerome.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Iowa still refuses to defend the three and at all. Fran still does his hockey line substitutions. Iowa still has 5 minute + scoring droughts. The only thing I learned from last night is that Illinois sucks even more than we do. Someone find a silver lining in that mess last night.
I thought the 2nd half looked really good. Our defense was much better, we dominated the glass, and shot the ball very well. If we come out and play like that consistently. we will win alot of games!

Reactions: Hawksfor3
The possibility didn’t cross your mind in the first half?
Nope! Not at all. I was disappointed in what was happening but I am not an asshole like those fans who say things like ,''the team has quit or given up..'' Competitors don't give up. They set interim goals to reach their ultimate goal of winning. They concentrate on making stops, or scoring, one possession at a time. They may become frustrated, but they don't give up like some fans do.

Nope! Not at all. I was disappointed in what was happening but I am not an asshole like those fans who say things like ,''the team has quit or given up..'' Competitors don't give up. They set interim goals to reach their ultimate goal of winning. They concentrate on making stops, or scoring, one possession at a time. They may become frustrated, but they don't give up like some fans do.

I don’t think that’s being an asshole. Plenty of signs suggested that it was a possibility.

Of course he recruits to fit his program. My only point is that the Iowa guys are capable, with good defensive teaching, drilling, and coaching (like that of Bennett) of playing much better defense.

Mine is a counterpoint to posters who posit that the Iowa guys are flat out incapable, and I used Virginia because its roster is not night-and-day different than Iowa's, especially as it relates to comparing Bohannon with Guy, Moss/Dailey with Jerome.

There is an aspect of both at play here.

Iowa has been playing terrible defense to this point. Poor positioning, rotations, lack of communication, players not having defined roles, bigs protecting the paint/rim have all been dismal. They can improve in all those aspects, and more.

HOWEVER, they are athletically limited relative to their competition in the vitally important element of quickness and footspeed.

Bennett likely would be able to make them better as a team, to a point. I wouldn't bet against him to at least improve them somewhat. I have seen enough of Virginia, though, that it is quite clear they have an athletically superior roster. By a fair margin. Iowa would never be in "danger" of becoming Virginia defensively. No matter how much they bought in to the system and put in the work.

There is a lot of room for Iowa to be better defensively. It will take a tremendous effort as a team to overcome their athletic deficiencies at several roster spots.

Fran hasn't been making public statements that make me think they are spending a lot of time focusing on defense. In fact, his recent comments have been the opposite as he has referred to them needing to focus on their offense. Which I find inexplicable. Does he think they should be averaging 90+ points a game?

5. Kriener displays that he can make significant contributions. I started a rare thread for me last Fall (that got no love like most of my posts :)) referencing Kriener's outstanding play in the Purdue game last year. I truly believe that if Fran would give him quality minutes backing up Garza at the 5 spot that Kriener would flourish. Move Nunge to back up Cook at the 4 spot.
Agree

There is an aspect of both at play here.

Iowa has been playing terrible defense to this point. Poor positioning, rotations, lack of communication, players not having defined roles, bigs protecting the paint/rim have all been dismal. They can improve in all those aspects, and more.

HOWEVER, they are athletically limited relative to their competition in the vitally important element of quickness and footspeed.

Bennett likely would be able to make them better as a team, to a point. I wouldn't bet against him to at least improve them somewhat. I have seen enough of Virginia, though, that it is quite clear they have an athletically superior roster. By a fair margin. Iowa would never be in "danger" of becoming Virginia defensively. No matter how much they bought in to the system and put in the work.

There is a lot of room for Iowa to be better defensively. It will take a tremendous effort as a team to overcome their athletic deficiencies at several roster spots.

Fran hasn't been making public statements that make me think they are spending a lot of time focusing on defense. In fact, his recent comments have been the opposite as he has referred to them needing to focus on their offense. Which I find inexplicable. Does he think they should be averaging 90+ points a game?

Moss and Dailey are probably more athletic than Virginias guards. Definitely more athletic than Guy.

A defense first coach could improve Iowa allot on D.

But, you would also see the weaker defenders on our team playing a whole lot less, aka Bohanon, Ellingson, Garza, Nunge.

Those guys would rarely see the floor if someone like Tom Izzo was coaching this group.

And you'd see allot more Wagner and Uhl.

Theres obviously a give and take there.

Fran would rather try to outscore opponents. Allot of others take the opposite aproach.

I also believe allot of coaches would get much more out of Cook defensively.

Go Hawks...... If the Hawkeyes can get the same effort as the
2nd half in Champaign, they are going to have success, very soon.

That means limit turnovers, make Free throws, rebound and be
unselfish. Not that difficult for this young, but talented group.

:)

My hope for the end of the year:
They continue to play hard
They get 4-6 more wins
They take their turnovers per game down 4-5 spots
Freshman continue to improve

The biggest question will be WHO they get in the offseason to play PG or the 2. CRITICAL NEED

Go Hawks...... If the Hawkeyes can get the same effort as the
2nd half in Champaign, they are going to have success, very soon.

That means limit turnovers, make Free throws, rebound and be
unselfish. Not that difficult for this young, but talented group.

:)
You forgot the most important thing, DEFEND. If they refuse to defend like has been their MO, then none of the things you listed will matter that much.

My hope for the end of the year:
They continue to play hard
They get 4-6 more wins
They take their turnovers per game down 4-5 spots
Freshman continue to improve

The biggest question will be WHO they get in the offseason to play PG or the 2. CRITICAL NEED
IDK. Not really sure who plays point guard in the offseason all that important.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I really liked Kriener's intensity. I also liked the 1-3-1 Iowa showed for a while because Illinois didn't know how to deal with it. A win is a win. It doesn't matter who it is against, as long as it makes an impact on the team and gives some confidence.

I think the Hawks are going to be able to build on this and win some games before this year is done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT