ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get a raise lately?

HawkMachine

HR Heisman
Jul 6, 2020
IOWA
My wife who has worked in the healthcare field for over 20 years just received her annual raise.

Three f'n percent.

The same raise she's gotten for the last several years. Basically a little cost of living adjustment.

With the rise of inflation and the lack of employees out there, she's a little pissed and I think rightfully so.

Anyone get a raise lately? Did you receive a larger increase from previous years while doing the same job?

I told her to look for a new job.

My wife who has worked in the healthcare field for over 20 years just received her annual raise.

Three f'n percent.

The same raise she's gotten for the last several years. Basically a little cost of living adjustment.

With the rise of inflation and the lack of employees out there, she's a little pissed and I think rightfully so.

Anyone get a raise lately? Did you receive a larger increase from previous years while doing the same job?

I told her to look for a new job.
I get $100 for the year raise starting in October.

What a joke. I got a 8% raise back in November I think. One time raise to help with inflation. Typical yearly raise is around 3%. Ag sector

It won't be 9%. I think it's 2% this year. I'd have to check the contract though.

What a joke. I got a 8% raise back in November I think. One time raise to help with inflation. Typical yearly raise is around 3%. Ag sector

Yep. I'm looking for 5-8% to make me happy.

If she leaves they will have to pay a temp agency and it will cost a hell of a lot more than that.

It's freaking healthcare, you know their revenue is going to keep up with inflation.

She's getting screwed.

Not to mention, she's the best employee in the department and everyone there would say it.

If she leaves they will have to pay a temp agency and it will cost a hell of a lot more than that.

It's freaking healthcare, you know their revenue is going to keep up with inflation.

She's getting screwed.

Not to mention, she's the best employee in the department and everyone there would say it.

I'm not sure why you're so mad. If she's worked for 20 years, then either she's mad every year or she received good raises for 20 years. I'm in a similar situation but I realize that it's on me to either try to move positions or move to a new company. I don't feel I'm being screwed just by getting a 3% raise. Was she being screwed last year? When did she start being screwed? If this is the first year she feels she's being "screwed" then consider yourself lucky. I have a co-worker that thinks he's being screwed and it sucks to work with him because he's not happy. He needs to leave and I would guess your wife probably needs to leave as well. Find that better job if that's what you want.

Company gave a 3% across the board raise April 1, and a 10% annual bonus. Given the trials we’ve been through the last couple years, I can’t complain.

if she's worked there for a long time and has built a good reputation, i'm not sure this is the right time to move. the job market has allegedly been red hot for a while but all signs seem to indicate that it will flip to freezing (as in hiring freezes) soon. just another pov for op to consider.

I'm not sure why you're so mad. If she's worked for 20 years, then either she's mad every year or she received good raises for 20 years. I'm in a similar situation but I realize that it's on me to either try to move positions or move to a new company. I don't feel I'm being screwed just by getting a 3% raise. Was she being screwed last year? When did she start being screwed? If this is the first year she feels she's being "screwed" then consider yourself lucky. I have a co-worker that thinks he's being screwed and it sucks to work with him because he's not happy. He needs to leave and I would guess your wife probably needs to leave as well. Find that better job if that's what you want.
You are basically making LESS money with a 3% raise this year due to INFLATION.

The previous years were fine as inflation was probably around the 3% mark.

This year is nothing like recent years.

If you are fine with a wage increase of 3% when everything has gone up 8%, congrats to you.

One time raise to help with inflation.
I got one of those prob around February. Don't remember the % - I think 5% though. Separate from the annual performance eval raise/bonus cycle. Find out the results of that in a couple of weeks.

A reason why increasing minimum wage by law or necessity hurts the middle class. Most will not see their wage growth keep up.

I am a few years from retiring. Frankly I would take a pay cut for more vacation. I really don’t need money like I use to. My 401k and other retirement accounts rise and fall based on the market. My contribution at this point is an insignificant factor.

My job at the college is 2.5%. I can’t blame them. Revenues are flat and they couldn’t afford more.

My part time gig as a paramedic I got right at 33%. There’s some qualifiers there. It’s a county owned service that after a year you get a step increase of $.20 for every year you’ve been in the field. Since I have 33 years, it works out to a fair amount. They also have us 12% in addition.

We get our raises in the summer, typically in the 3-7% range, but this year will include the findings of a salary competitiveness survey, so it may be higher. I don't like big salary raises because it impacts billing rates and affects project profitability.

I prefer bonuses over raises. My 2021 bonus was about 45-50% of my base salary.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
but this year will include the findings of a salary competitiveness survey, so it may be higher.

That's the kicker, which I haven't even mentioned yet.

Her department boss, told everyone that raises were going to be different than other years. It sounded like ee's who were in direct patient care would receive a larger raise than normal. She's not a nurse but deals with patients every single day.

It also sounded like the raises would be better because of the ee shortages out there. Healthcare employees are shifting around like crazy right now for better pay. Leaving huge holes to fill.

Yet she gets the same old 3%.

Her boss (who is a terrible boss) should have never told the department this but she did.

I got a small one. This year my student loans finally went away on my credit report (public loan forgiveness). I may buy a house with the extra cash and higher credit score. Currently living with the girlfriend, she gets assistance for disability and very low rent so I just pay a small amount to her as reimbursement and all of our utilities are covered.

• Angry
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf

She's getting screwed.

Im in healthcare and this is not true. If most of your patients have insurance then they dictate the raise in reimbursement. Most of them havent increase rates to match inflation or even raised them at all.

Reactions: globalhawk
I got %15 last fall, but it doesn't look like anyone will be getting raises the rest of this year.

I lost my job in 2008 during that recession, I fully expect the same to happen in the next year.

• Wow
Reactions: mattymoknows
I'm due next month, I'm expecting around that 3% like last year. We have about 30% of out people who are above their actual current job pay scale due to some grandfathered wages. They got a one time 1.5% bonus last year and shit hit the fan, I'm sure that will happen again this year too.

There were a lot of annual increases I got in the Army that were lower than rate of inflation. If memory serves, there were 2-3 years we didn't get raises. There were also targeted pay raises where we got far higher than rate of inflation.

As for currently, between my retirement, my VA benefits and my job, I take home about $1000 per month more than I made on active duty.

Don’t know yet for this year. Will find out in the next 3 weeks as we just finished up annual reviews. It’d typically 3%-4%. Wife (no pics) has gotten about 10% over the last year.

She's getting screwed.

I wouldn't be so sure about revenue keeping up, and expenses are going up just like with everything else. The healthcare company I work for will lose $200M this year when the books are closed in a few weeks. Granted, part of that is due to paying very high wages to traveling nurses because they can't keep enough of them employed.

Our company gave a little more than normal from previous years but nothing crazy. My boss gave me closer to the inflation rate because he knows he can't lose me.

I finally decided to leave the place I was working for nearly ten years within the past two months. Their operational tenets were quite simple, the first of which was everyone was replaceable. They consistently overpromised and underdelivered on compensation. After being at essentially the same pay level I was prior to taking the job after all that time, I finally nutted up and left. The company averaged about 15-20% turnover annually.

I gave two-weeks notice, moved straight into a contract position earning 50% more and have since been in a new permanent position for a week and a half. By the time I factor in salary, benefits and bonuses, I should be at least 60% above the last permanent gig in a better industry with exceptional employees and ownership. I was having some pretty bad stress related issues in the prior job as well. Those are nearly fully resolved. Life is too short to be miserable working for and with the wrong people.

I finally decided to leave the place I was working for nearly ten years within the past two months. Their operational tenets were quite simple, the first of which was everyone was replaceable. They consistently overpromised and underdelivered on compensation. After being at essentially the same pay level I was prior to taking the job after all that time, I finally nutted up and left. The company averaged about 15-20% turnover annually.

I gave two-weeks notice, moved straight into a contract position earning 50% more and have since been in a new permanent position for a week and a half. By the time I factor in salary, benefits and bonuses, I should be at least 60% above the last permanent gig in a better industry with exceptional employees and ownership. I was having some pretty bad stress related issues in the prior job as well. Those are nearly fully resolved. Life is too short to be miserable working for and with the wrong people.
Congratulations. Similar reasons forced my had as well.

Reactions: jasonrann
paying very high wages to traveling nurses because they can't keep enough of them employed.

Which is what they will have to do if she leaves.

I'm pushing for a different job. They will either cave in and try to keep her with more money, or she goes somewhere else. Simple as that. They will lose their best employee. The friendliest, most knowledgeable, most helpful, etc. Hell one of the doctors just last week emailed her department head about how great she is.

She was already on the fence about finding something different. This to me is the straw that broke the camel's back. Her job though.

F them.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Over the last 13 years of working for the federal government, we have received 14.1% in annual cost of livings adjustments. CPI calculated Inflation over that same period has been over 34%. Actual inflation would be much higher. Biden proposed 4.6% raise for 2023 back in March. Obama gave us 5.5% over his 8 years.

ADVERTISEMENT