ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get a raise lately?

Got an 8% raise a few months ago. I immediately upped my 401k contribution.

You are basically making LESS money with a 3% raise this year due to INFLATION.

The previous years were fine as inflation was probably around the 3% mark.

This year is nothing like recent years.

If you are fine with a wage increase of 3% when everything has gone up 8%, congrats to you.

There are more things in life than just my salary. For starters, I make a good salary so 3% of my salary isn't bad. That said, you're right, overall my money will buy me less than previous years. That's been happening for years now, my benefits change every year. But I love my job and I'm not going to switch and do something I don't like for a few thousand dollars. If you need the money and don't like your job, then leave. Your company (or your wife's company) is not responsible for matching inflation. They're being hit at the same time so it just might not be feasible.

Over the last 13 years of working for the federal government, we have received 14.1% in annual cost of livings adjustments.

station19-andy-herrera.gif

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Wife works at UIHC and they just announced last week that they were getting that big 4% raise that kicks in next month. I got a 7% one at beginning of year. Supposedly my job is doing a compensation review and at the end of it we may get a 'mid year adjustment' to help with inflation. Not holding my breath on that being anything significant if anything at all.

Congratulations. Similar reasons forced my had as well.
Yup, thanks, man!

Things became crystal clear when they hired over me in my department and didn't tell me until after the guy accepted the offer. My job was "safe", but even if that was the case, I knew my compensation was going nowhere even faster. F-that. Peace out. Have fun figuring it out.

That's the kicker, which I haven't even mentioned yet.

Her department boss, told everyone that raises were going to be different than other years. It sounded like ee's who were in direct patient care would receive a larger raise than normal. She's not a nurse but deals with patients every single day.

It also sounded like the raises would be better because of the ee shortages out there. Healthcare employees are shifting around like crazy right now for better pay. Leaving huge holes to fill.

Yet she gets the same old 3%.

Her boss (who is a terrible boss) should have never told the department this but she did.

Unhappy with the salary / raise. She’s the “best employee.” “Terrible boss.” Heard it a million times. Go somewhere else if she’s so unhappy and under appreciated. A nurse can basically go anywhere right now.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
You are basically making LESS money with a 3% raise this year due to INFLATION.

The previous years were fine as inflation was probably around the 3% mark.

This year is nothing like recent years.

If you are fine with a wage increase of 3% when everything has gone up 8%, congrats to you.
Has her company's revenues risen 8%? Do you expect the employer to lose money giving raises that are not funded? I take it you've never been a business owner.

Reactions: SB_SB
It's clear that many of you do not own businesses. I'm in healthcare, and insurance companies are paying less each year for the same service. Inflation sucks, but margins in private practice physical therapy are tight and getting tighter.

We make decisions to ensure we have a profit that allows us to continue our important work for the good of our clients and communities. If we make bad financial decisions, people would lose their jobs. It isn't as simple as just giving everyone a larger raise to keep up with inflation, and it doesn't matter if we charge more.... insurances won't pay more.

I have worked for 2 Fortune 500 companies over the last 20 years and during that entire annual raises were essentially 5% or less as a corporate mandate. Basically each group is given 3% to spread between their people. For everyone that got 5% there had to be someone getting close to 0%. If you had a good team and everyone was average or better performers the manager had the choice to screw someone and reward the top performer with more than 3% or give everyone 3%. Most chose the easy route.

Off cycle raises are extremely rare outside of promotions. I was fortunate this year my job was redefined (although job description did not change) so I received a 15% raise. The second time I received an off cycle raise in 20 years.

From my experience this is common in the corporate world. People talk when they are pissed about raises and as a result I have talked with dozens of people that all operate under essentially the same raise guidelines. This is what bothers me about union negotiations; be it teachers, police, flight attendants, etc. when they have been offered something north of 5% but demand more. These workers are already receiving a raise higher than the bulk of the population receives but want more.

I'm fully commission based so no raises ever. But, as prices rise so does the commission so in a way that's a raise. On the flip side, as prices rise less people can travel so the end result is not necessarily more money overall.

My husband got I think 2% or 2.5%. He's capped because he is at the top of his pay scale. He doesn't want to promote so that is just going to be reality for the rest of his career. He still makes good money, we have no debt but our house which is pretty close to paid off, so overall it isn't a big deal. 10 years ago it would have been.

Reactions: Gimmered
It's clear that many of you do not own businesses. I'm in healthcare, and insurance companies are paying less each year for the same service. Inflation sucks, but margins in private practice physical therapy are tight and getting tighter.

We make decisions to ensure we have a profit that allows us to continue our important work for the good of our clients and communities. If we make bad financial decisions, people would lose their jobs. It isn't as simple as just giving everyone a larger raise to keep up with inflation, and it doesn't matter if we charge more.... insurances won't pay more.
Would you rather give an 8% raise to someone making $35/hr or pay a travel person $60/hour?

I'll hang up and listen Mr Businessman.

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
My department got the typical annual raise of 2.5-3%, plus another 6-7% - I forget what they called it, but I thought the name was funny. Most got 6-9% this year.

I run my own business so if I want a raise, I can put in the extra time to do more prospecting and closing activities. But my two full timers got raises, one got a 9% raise because she basically runs the show the other was 3% she still has to prove herself.

This is a time all those teachers and government workers that vote Republican should wake up and realize they should never vote for a party that is anti-union. Many are essentially in for yearly pay cuts as the Republicans gutted the unions. Administration will get their nice raises though.

I got a small one. This year my student loans finally went away on my credit report (public loan forgiveness). I may buy a house with the extra cash and higher credit score. Currently living with the girlfriend, she gets assistance for disability and very low rent so I just pay a small amount to her as reimbursement and all of our utilities are covered.
Interesting. Sounds like your girlfriend, who is on disability, is receiving rental assistance from HUD or the USDA that also includes a utility expense allowance. You are living there is an additional person in the household and should be counted in the total household income calculation that determines the tenant contribution to housing expenses. If this is true your girlfriend is defrauding the government and when the agency providing that assistance finds out they will come after her for unauthorized assistance which, if this goes on long enough, will total in the thousands of dollars. The government will get their money back too, because if she fails to set up a repayment plan or tries to skip out on repayment they will simply turn that over to the Treasury department and they will withhold from tax returns, social security offset, etc.

Not to mention you are probably not on the lease either, which is a lease violation, and could end up getting your girlfriend evicted from the apartment.

I suppose I should not be surprised by any of this fraud.

Yes, I am calling you out for defrauding the government.

I finally decided to leave the place I was working for nearly ten years within the past two months. Their operational tenets were quite simple, the first of which was everyone was replaceable. They consistently overpromised and underdelivered on compensation. After being at essentially the same pay level I was prior to taking the job after all that time, I finally nutted up and left. The company averaged about 15-20% turnover annually.

I gave two-weeks notice, moved straight into a contract position earning 50% more and have since been in a new permanent position for a week and a half. By the time I factor in salary, benefits and bonuses, I should be at least 60% above the last permanent gig in a better industry with exceptional employees and ownership. I was having some pretty bad stress related issues in the prior job as well. Those are nearly fully resolved. Life is too short to be miserable working for and with the wrong people.
Congrats on the new gig. Sounds like you will not miss your last place.

1.1 % contractual raise effective July 1. Yippee! What a joke.

State of Iowa employee, I take it. You guys are getting absolutely screwed. 1.1% is a slap in the face.

Just learned Monday that it's a 3% raise, disappointing because my boss had discussions with his boss earlier in the year and got the impression that the raises would be more in line with the cost of living going way up.

I have worked for 2 Fortune 500 companies over the last 20 years and during that entire annual raises were essentially 5% or less as a corporate mandate. Basically each group is given 3% to spread between their people. For everyone that got 5% there had to be someone getting close to 0%. If you had a good team and everyone was average or better performers the manager had the choice to screw someone and reward the top performer with more than 3% or give everyone 3%. Most chose the easy route.

Off cycle raises are extremely rare outside of promotions. I was fortunate this year my job was redefined (although job description did not change) so I received a 15% raise. The second time I received an off cycle raise in 20 years.

From my experience this is common in the corporate world. People talk when they are pissed about raises and as a result I have talked with dozens of people that all operate under essentially the same raise guidelines. This is what bothers me about union negotiations; be it teachers, police, flight attendants, etc. when they have been offered something north of 5% but demand more. These workers are already receiving a raise higher than the bulk of the population receives but want more.
This is my company to a T. 3-4% average spread across everyone. Some less, some more, but can’t go over limit. They do 2 promotion cycles a year so that helps, but not many get promoted much. They’ve really upped their minimums so those who have only be there a short time are a lot closer to the long term employees now.

My wife (no pics) and I are both starting to give hints that when our oldest graduates in two years we’re willing to move and possibly look for different jobs.

We get our raises in the summer, typically in the 3-7% range, but this year will include the findings of a salary competitiveness survey, so it may be higher. I don't like big salary raises because it impacts billing rates and affects project profitability.

I prefer bonuses over raises. My 2021 bonus was about 45-50% of my base salary.
So $12?

Interesting. Sounds like your girlfriend, who is on disability, is receiving rental assistance from HUD or the USDA that also includes a utility expense allowance. You are living there is an additional person in the household and should be counted in the total household income calculation that determines the tenant contribution to housing expenses. If this is true your girlfriend is defrauding the government and when the agency providing that assistance finds out they will come after her for unauthorized assistance which, if this goes on long enough, will total in the thousands of dollars. The government will get their money back too, because if she fails to set up a repayment plan or tries to skip out on repayment they will simply turn that over to the Treasury department and they will withhold from tax returns, social security offset, etc.

Not to mention you are probably not on the lease either, which is a lease violation, and could end up getting your girlfriend evicted from the apartment.

State of Iowa employee, I take it. You guys are getting absolutely screwed. 1.1% is a slap in the face.
I’m not defrauding anyone. I’m not aware of these rules so how would I even be held accountable? I sleep in her bed every night and give her $350 per month. We split groceries, she gets some EBT and some from the food bank. With my loans going away this past year, I will have saved over $235k in cash to buy a house soon thanks to our living situation.

I’m not defrauding anyone. I’m not aware of these rules so how would I even be held accountable? I sleep in her bed every night and give her $350 per month. We split groceries, she gets some EBT and some from the food bank. With my loans going away this past year, I will have saved over $235k in cash to buy a house soon thanks to our living situation.
So your defense is because you don't know the rules (laws) they should not be applicable to you? That's rich. She most certainly knows the rules. It's written into her lease, it's all over her income certification paperwork. She even knows that if her income level goes up or down that she needs to contact the property manager to recertify her income to adjust her assistance. She also knows that it's not just income but gifts or any other kind of assistance is reportable, and not reporting somebody who is living with her is a big no no.

This is so typical.

lol.

5% for me. Working on a much higher percentage.

Wife hasn’t had a raise in 4 years, but I basically fault her for that because she’s afraid to ask.

You got it. It's even worse because the university president got an 8.3% raise. I've been topped out for quite a few years but the newer hires don't even get Merit step raises anymore since the repubs destroyed collective bargaining.
I am thankful for the healthcare and retirement benefits but they're slowly whittling away at that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearhawk0505
So your defense is because you don't know the rules (laws) they should not be applicable to you? That's rich. She most certainly knows the rules. It's written into her lease, it's all over her income certification paperwork. She even knows that if her income level goes up or down that she needs to contact the property manager to recertify her income to adjust her assistance. She also knows that it's not just income but gifts or any other kind of assistance is reportable, and not reporting somebody who is living with her is a big no no.

This is so typical.

I'm going to withhold judgment until we get pics of disabled girlfriend.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Has her company's revenues risen 8%? Do you expect the employer to lose money giving raises that are not funded? I take it you've never been a business owner.
... then he better not be claiming "nobody wants to work" when they leave. A business owner should understand the value of his labor, dont ya think?

ADVERTISEMENT