ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get a raise lately?

No raise in 4 years, same position. However we receive an annual bonus based on earnings. 2021 was a record year for our company, which means 2022 has been very, very good to me.

So far, rather than raises, our employees have received spot bonuses. $5000 in May. $2500 in June. $5000-$20000 in Sept based on tenure. 14 years gets me $15k.

It was also recently announced that starting 7/1, the entire company will receive an extra $120 every 2 weeks to help with inflation.

The spot bonuses and extra pay applies to all employees. We currently have around 4,000.

... then he better not be claiming "nobody wants to work" when they leave. A business owner should understand the value of his labor, dont ya think?
Not to the point they lose money. I've had as many as 50 employees so I'm speaking from a position of experience. You can't take money off your table to put it on theirs. You won't stay in business very long.

Not to the point they lose money. I've had as many as 50 employees so I'm speaking from a position of experience. You can't take money off your table to put it on theirs. You won't stay in business very long.
Dont have laborers it causes problems too...

I got approximately a 5% raise last December and my bonus went from 15 to 20% of my salary. I switched jobs tho and they started me above the hiring range.

Hopefully the new boss has been impressed. He’s been pretty good to me these last 5 months and just let’s me go do what I do.

Reactions: TennNole17
My wife who has worked in the healthcare field for over 20 years just received her annual raise.

Three f'n percent.

The same raise she's gotten for the last several years. Basically a little cost of living adjustment.

With the rise of inflation and the lack of employees out there, she's a little pissed and I think rightfully so.

Anyone get a raise lately? Did you receive a larger increase from previous years while doing the same job?

I told her to look for a new job.
Have her stop up in my office tomorrow..... And have her wear those "negotiating" clothes that I like.... She'll know what I'm talking about.

I think we can work something out

I’m not defrauding anyone. I’m not aware of these rules so how would I even be held accountable? I sleep in her bed every night and give her $350 per month. We split groceries, she gets some EBT and some from the food bank. With my loans going away this past year, I will have saved over $235k in cash to buy a house soon thanks to our living situation.
Ignorance of the law is not a legal defense. And she is clearly committing fraud, whether she knows it or not.

I’m not defrauding anyone. I’m not aware of these rules so how would I even be held accountable? I sleep in her bed every night and give her $350 per month. We split groceries, she gets some EBT and some from the food bank. With my loans going away this past year, I will have saved over $235k in cash to buy a house soon thanks to our living situation.

Dude……you gotta stop talking

My wife who has worked in the healthcare field for over 20 years just received her annual raise.

Three f'n percent.

The same raise she's gotten for the last several years. Basically a little cost of living adjustment.

With the rise of inflation and the lack of employees out there, she's a little pissed and I think rightfully so.

Anyone get a raise lately? Did you receive a larger increase from previous years while doing the same job?

I told her to look for a new job.
5.5% raise. I'm a defense contractor. Got a 16% bonus too.

L o L. This guy is just unbelievable. I want to hate on him, but he accumulated a lot of cash. I respect that. Let’s just say the least surprising thing about him is that he’s a Democrat.

Reactions: TennNole17
You do understand how a company may need to accept smaller margins to keep talent though, correct?
There's a difference between smaller margins and going under water. Most employees have zero clue what the margins actually are and just assume their employer can/should be able to afford to give them what they think is fair.
What industry are you in and how many employees do you pay weekly?

There's a difference between smaller margins and going under water. Most employees have zero clue what the margins actually are and just assume their employer can/should be able to afford to give them what they think is fair.
Make yourself valuable and figure out what you can do to get a raise. I hate the attitudes of some employees just expecting to coast and perpetually see real wage gains. Covering inflation is really the only thing I feel semi-responsible to do if performance isn’t improving.

Reactions: Gonolz
Public Accounting, and I have zero employees under me at this time. But I think thats kind of irrelevant. I deal with companies accross several industries. Obviously if you are at threat of going underwater you cant give raises, but there are plenty of companies that have struggled because retaining talent has not been part of their strategy. That goes for construction companies too.

Public Accounting, and I have zero employees under me at this time. But I think thats kind of irrelevant. I deal with companies accross several industries. Obviously if you are at threat of going underwater you cant give raises, but there are plenty of companies that have struggled because retaining talent has not been part of their strategy. That goes for construction companies too.
It's definitely relevant. I've signed the front of more paychecks than most sign the back. I've done all the work and have taken all the risks. For you It's all theory. Let me know when it becomes reality.

It's definitely relevant. I've signed the front of more paychecks than most sign the back. I've done all the work and have taken all the risks. For you It's all theory. Let me know when it becomes reality.
Nice that you can pat yourself on the back because Im not impressed.

So are you saying you dont understand that labor has a value? That if you dont pay what someone is worth then you shouldnt be pissed when those people go to greener pastures? Thats not some high level theory dude. Those are the basics 😀

Reactions: hawkcub
Would you rather give an 8% raise to someone making $35/hr or pay a travel person $60/hour?

I'll hang up and listen Mr Businessman.
Travelers in PT are going run run you $75 - $90/hr. Nursing rates are still over $100. Hard to fill specialties are $145+.

Rates right now are no longer driven by COVID cases, but COVID did play a factor. Over 100k nurses left the field in 2021. The shortage isn‘t going away any time soon. In fact it will continue to get worse. The Boomer retirement was flagged for this timeframe and has been on everyone in healthcare‘s radar for years. COVID just sped thing up.

L o L. This guy is just unbelievable. I want to hate on him, but he accumulated a lot of cash. I respect that. Let’s just say the least surprising thing about him is that he’s a Democrat.
Part of the reason I outed him. Can't believe he tossed out that nugget on HORT and thought nobody here would recognize what they were doing. For all of the BS on this board it's actually full of talented professionals that give good advice. Mine just happens to be banking, finance, real estate, apartment lending/management, etc. So it took me a half second to figure out him and his girlfriend were living in affordable housing and subsidized by the taxpayers, and committing fraud.

Public accounting has to be one of the biggest adversarial relationships between the top and bottom. Most everyone is looking for the door in a few years because they’re basically slaves lol.

Public accounting has to be one of the biggest adversarial relationships between the top and bottom. Most everyone is looking for the door in a few years because they’re basically slaves lol.
Ah, pretty dependent on the firm... the big4 definitely. Right now employees have a ton leverage because of a shortage and lots of boomers leaving.

Reactions: GroupThink
Ah, pretty dependent on the firm... the big4 definitely. Right now employees have a ton leverage because of a shortage and lots of boomers leaving.
I could see that. I was never interested in being a partner so I turned down offers out of school for that. I like corporate better. I probably would have made more money early on in public, but hourly would be laughable compared to now.

Reactions: Drake__Mallard
I could see that. I was never interested in being a partner so I turned down offers out of school for that. I like corporate better. I probably would have made more money early on in public, but hourly would be laughable compared to now.
I really like working public and could see being partner. I like working with lots of different companies across several industries.... variety is the spice of life. :)
However, I could also see my wife pushing me to go industry. What industry you in?

Well, at least I know going forward I don't need to engage in meaningful conversation with you.

Last edited:
I really like working public and could see being partner. I like working with lots of different companies across several industries.... variety the spice of life. :)
However, I could also see my wife pushing me to go industry. What industry you in?
You do you. I just don’t like the salesman/good ol’ boys aspect of it. Currently in insurance, have been in manufacturing, real estate, and done lots of consulting. I love consulting for small businesses because I learn and can teach lower level bookkeepers. Pretty crazy some of the things I’ve seen.

Come to the dark side young skywalker. I can show you the true powers of the force.

You do you. I just don’t like the salesman/good ol’ boys aspect of it. Currently in insurance, have been in manufacturing, real estate, and done lots of consulting. I love consulting for small businesses because I learn and can teach lower level bookkeepers. Pretty crazy some of the things I’ve seen.
My buddy does consulting and Ive heard horror stories about the hours.

Work in manufacturing and received a 3% raise this year. We also have a profit sharing program that pays out $4,000 to all employees this year.......but only if your COVID vaccinated. If not vaccinated regardless of your years of service you get $0.

Last year. 14% and 2 months later another 6% for a total of 20%.

Employer had exposure in my position and was trying to keep me from leaving/retiring. It didn't work.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
Yep. I'm looking for 5-8% to make me happy.

If she leaves they will have to pay a temp agency and it will cost a hell of a lot more than that.

It's freaking healthcare, you know their revenue is going to keep up with inflation.

She's getting screwed.

Not to mention, she's the best employee in the department and everyone there would say it.
This is what has me scratching my head. We got less than half the inflation rate for raises this year and I've never seen so many people leave the company. Of course they're scrambling to backfill roles and will likely have to pay the new people what the old people were looking to get paid, at least

This is what has me scratching my head. We got less than half the inflation rate for raises this year and I've never seen so many people leave the company. Of course they're scrambling to backfill roles and will likely have to pay the new people what the old people were looking to get paid, at least
I've witnessed businesses cherrypicking the employees with the maximum exposure that cannot be replaced without a known disruption to the business and blow their raise pool on those few and take the chance they can do without/replace others. Had a former coworker get a 30% raise while others in his area got 3%.

My raise last year was 5%. They did move some money around and gave me 125% of my usual 15% bonus though.

More importantly check this out:

My wife worked for fiserv for like 12 years up until march(ish) and they always gave her the bullshit "we don't know where we would be without you, we see bright things, here is 3%" bullshit. She got her yearly raise this year and FINALLY started shopping around. With her background Unity point brought her on for 20k more a year than she would have been making after the new 3%. She went back to fiserv and let them know she would be leaving and miraculous a new spot opened up which SURPRISE happen to right around the same pay grade she would be making at unity point. After thinking about it, she told her old company to kick rocks and if they really cared they would have offered it to her before she was on her way out. (They offered her the position, title, and keeping time with company as an open invitation for the next 12 months).

Tldr: if you are a talented individual with a solid work ethic right now and your company barley gives you a cost of living increase, shop them.

Reactions: ghost80
I've witnessed businesses cherrypicking the employees with the maximum exposure that cannot be replaced without a known disruption to the business and blow their raise pool on those few and take the chance they can do without/replace others. Had a former coworker get a 30% raise while others in his area got 3%.
100% agree. Read my post below yours.

I'm in public accounting in small town Iowa. Good luck trying to find EE's.

We are definitely short staffed and had around 400 on extension. Luckily they are all done now.

Even bigger cities are having trouble I've heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT