ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get window replacement quotes lately?

notlongago

HR Heisman
Jul 28, 2012
Nope, not an inflation/price complaint thread - just curious if anyone has gone through the legwork recently and have any tips. Looking more towards the higher end options - primarily Pella, Anderson and Jeldwen. Had a quote from Pella - much more than I was expecting, but they also do a whole lot more work than I was expecting (primarily taking the window down to studs and custom mill work to match existing trim) - that's pella themselves (or contracting, not sure) the install. Would prefer to not have to source the windows then source a contractor separately.

Anyone else offer similar services? How much was the quote (ballpark) per window?

With inflation nowadays people could use some good cost saving tips. Apply aluminum foil to the window surface to keep light out and reflect the suns dangerous UV rays. Applying plastic on the inside of the window can help insulate the windows and keep rogue insects out.

We had 39 custom windows replaced last year. Happy with them so far, even if they weren’t Pella or Anderson. They were still pricey.

we used Power home remodeling. It says on their website they use Pella, I know they came out of a PA facility. I see they have a facility in Gettysburg, so, possible I guess.

Z

Nope, not an inflation/price complaint thread - just curious if anyone has gone through the legwork recently and have any tips. Looking more towards the higher end options - primarily Pella, Anderson and Jeldwen. Had a quote from Pella - much more than I was expecting, but they also do a whole lot more work than I was expecting (primarily taking the window down to studs and custom mill work to match existing trim) - that's pella themselves (or contracting, not sure) the install. Would prefer to not have to source the windows then source a contractor separately.

Anyone else offer similar services? How much was the quote (ballpark) per window?
"Pella" does their own work by their own trained technicians. Part of "the Pella advantage" that you pay for.......I used to play a lot of golf with a "Pella" window engineer and give him a lot of shit about the price of their product.......On more than one occasion I got the lecture that a window or door is more than a cover for a hole in the wall....The key to a window replacement is the skill and knowledge of the installer moreso than the product itself, that's why Pella prefers to install their product. ....I have 2 doors from "Pella" (have had them for 30 and 20 years) and they have exceeded expectations! I finally replaced the rollers on the 30 year old door last summer...and it rolls like new!
I am sure Andersen is a fine product too. Jeldwin is a good product, too.

Yep. Got one from Anderson. Installation included

I had mine done in the "off season" a few years back (contracted in fall, installed in Feb/Mar)

Got half price.

We just had Anderson put in. Happy with them.

Don't go with Pella. Overpriced and their guarantees are full of shiz
I have an Anderson sliding door. Installed >10 years ago, I think

VERY easy to order new seals for it from them. Only thing I don't like about it is the double-pane glass is not IR blocking, and they don't offer glass replacement, so it's a custom or DIY job to swap that out. Otherwise, really like the quality and easy maintenance of it due to their site having fairly simple identification for replacing seals parts.

I know I asked, but it is a rude question, so thanks for the candor.
Were these primarily single/double hung? Picture? Casement? approximate size? Im really surprised by the range in prices im finding.
High efficiency glass, with some gas that helps prevent fogging or whatever. They were then best ones that windowworld had

I know I asked, but it is a rude question, so thanks for the candor.
Were these primarily single/double hung? Picture? Casement? approximate size? Im really surprised by the range in prices im finding.
I have 12 3’wx6’h windows on the lower level on the back of the house. I have a massive entry/foyer window over the front door, in 2 pieces. We have 2 fireplace column windows on the front, another group of 3wx6h windows on the dining room and office in the front. Also two large garage windows on the lower level along with 2 master bath windows and two front door column windows. Then Up top, there are 3 bedroom windows in the upper level back that are probably a fairly standard size (closer than any of the others) and two of those on the front as well. There are 2 small windows, one up, one down. I think that’s it. Full casement, double hung, UV protection (cause I live close to hell) and gas filled double pane. I prolly missed a couple.

these are so much better than the single pane window that was originally installed, electric bill has proven that. So far, so good.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Here’s what I’m going to tell you advice wise: if you can do it, don’t skimp. Windows last, save energy and increase the value of your home. New windows can change the entire look of your home!

Reactions: notlongago
I have 12 3’wx6’h windows on the lower level on the back of the house. I have a massive entry/foyer window over the front door, in 2 pieces. We have 2 fireplace column windows on the front, another group of 3wx6h windows on the dining room and office in the front. Also two large garage windows on the lower level along with 2 master bath windows and two front door column windows. Then Up top, there are 3 bedroom windows in the upper level back that are probably a fairly standard size (closer than any of the others) and two of those on the front as well. There are 2 small windows, one up, one down. I think that’s it. Full casement, double hung, UV protection (cause I live close to hell) and gas filled double pane. I prolly missed a couple.

these are so much better than the single pane window that was originally installed, electric bill has proven that. So far, so good.
Sounds like hurricane impact windows. I had those installed on my house in 2010. Four Sliders and several windows for about 15k. Great for noise reduction and also great for security - takes a lot to break through one.

interesting yours is the closest example ive found to my situation (your setup sounds much more "grand"), but i too am looking at going from 40+ yr old single pane to the modern energy efficient gas filled, heat blocking, etc.

If you had to put a % on your energy bill savings, 20%? 30%?

we ordered a few patio door and it was quite an experience

quotes ranged from $1k to $5k and lead-times were 2M to 8M

we ended up somewhere in the middle with a contractor that a good friend recommended. Door took 3 months and we've been waiting 3 weeks to just get on his installation schedule.

we ordered a few patio door and it was quite an experience

quotes ranged from $1k to $5k and lead-times were 2M to 8M

we ended up somewhere in the middle with a contractor that a good friend recommended. Door took 3 months and we've been waiting 3 weeks to just get on his installation schedule.
Yea, were looking at a patio door too. $1K sounds like something id stay away from, but yea, another eye opening experience when you start seeing $5k-$8K options.

Sounds like hurricane impact windows. I had those installed on my house in 2010. Four Sliders and several windows for about 15k. Great for noise reduction and also great for security - takes a lot to break through one.
No, not Hurricane impact rated…I don’t think. Just a ton better than what was there. We then painted trim, soffits, the little bit of wood siding we have, garage doors and the gutters to match the trim on the windows. Earth tones…as per HOA requirements. Most of the house is brick!

Were you responsible for the interior trim? Did they try to salvage it? Were you give options to choose from?
I was responsible for the inside where we dropped a couple eyebrows down to left. They roughed it in, I finished it. One of them turned out just fine the other one didn’t turn out all that well but it is passable.

I think anytime you were doing a project like this, you have to expect that there will be some touchup required. We had bass windowsills that needed to be repainted even before we replaced the window. No window trim, ours are all dry walled right to the edge and recessed. There was some touch up there too, but not bad at all.

39 custom windows = $62k
Thanks for this. I wanted to bump this thread as we’re looking to replace 11 windows in our house and we had Mad City Windows give us a quote yesterday. The majority of our windows are close to 3’x5’ dimensions. The first quote was ~$40,000 which completely shocked me. Nice custom product sure, but at that price I’m certainly looking at other options before entering into a contract. By the time he left we were at ~$30,000. That’s still ~$2,700 a window. It also revealed to me there’s a lot of wiggle room for price negotiations.

Any of you degenerates have some recommendations for this service in the IC/CR area?

I’m not looking for the cheapest option I recognize with windows that quality does matter. Looking at double hung windows with some potentially needing structural repair prior to installation due to some existing water infiltration over the years before we purchased the home that I’ve shored up to prevent greater problems.

Thanks for this. I wanted to bump this thread as we’re looking to replace 11 windows in our house and we had Mad City Windows give us a quote yesterday. The majority of our windows are close to 3’x5’ dimensions. The first quote was ~$40,000 which completely shocked me. Nice custom product sure, but at that price I’m certainly looking at other options before entering into a contract. By the time he left we were at ~$30,000. That’s still ~$2,700 a window. It also revealed to me there’s a lot of wiggle room for price negotiations.

Any of you degenerates have some recommendations for this service in the IC/CR area?

I’m not looking for the cheapest option I recognize with windows that quality does matter. Looking at double hung windows with some potentially needing structural repair prior to installation due to some existing water infiltration over the years before we purchased the home that I’ve shored up to prevent greater problems.
I play golf with an engineer who worked for Pella Corp. for 30+ years….he can talk to you and tell you why $3k a window is a great deal! ;) ;););););)

• Haha
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I play golf with an engineer who worked for Pella Corp. for 30+ years….he can talk to you and tell you why $3k a window is a great deal! ;) ;););););)
I just got a quote on Anderson 400 series 4'x4' casement windows. $1500 each for window only. Installing windows isn't rocket science.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I just got a quote on Anderson 400 series 4'x4' casement windows. $1500 each for window only. Installing windows isn't rocket science.
Is that a higher end series for Anderson? What’s a reasonable quote for the installation per window? I do know some good local contractors if I decide go that route. 4 of the 11 would be 2nd story locations requiring ladders from the outside.

We had our entire main floor windows replaced last summer, minus transom windows. We went with double-pane Restorations, made by Sunrise Windows. I think they’re based in Wisconsin? I’d never heard of them, but Hometown Restyling in CR did the work, and they spoke praises about them. We’ve had amazing experiences with Hometown on past projects, so we pulled the trigger. They’re very impressive. The efficiency of them is obviously excellent, but what really surprised me was how much quieter really good windows made the house. The entire project cost just under 16k.

Andersen > Pella. Built new house and that’s the advice I was given by multiple people. Went with casements and picture windows. If you don’t plan on opening a ton of windows often, just go picture window as it’s sealed better. Have a couple casements that are smaller that are only a single locking mechanism and not double, which I hate

Andersen > Pella. Built new house and that’s the advice I was given by multiple people. Went with casements and picture windows. If you don’t plan on opening a ton of windows often, just go picture window as it’s sealed better. Have a couple casements that are smaller that are only a single locking mechanism and not double, which I hate

I concur. Pella is overrated.

ADVERTISEMENT