ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to #cancelnetflix?

abe-simpson-gif.gif

I have read things on both sides. I find it hard to believe it is as bad as they say and there is some misinformation being thrown out by the cancel netflix crowd, who all are also talking about it being liberal and Obama loving.... I may brave the FBI sting and watch.

It feels a little bit futile to write another article in defense of Netflix’s Cuties. The chances of changing the minds of its many detractors—who accused Netflix of promoting pedophilia, who gave the trailer 1.6 million dislikes on YouTube, who sent drove director Maïmouna Doucouré off of social media with death threats, who signed a petition demanding Netflix cancel the film, and who are still sending me emails telling me I’m a pedophile—seem slim to none.

That’s partially due to the fact that a not-insignificant portion of the backlash against Cuties stems from right-wing QAnon conspiracy theorists, aka people who believe that Democrats and Hollywood celebrities are behind a child sex trafficking ring. It seems unlikely that people who rely on unverified “secret moles” on 4chan for information will listen to reason. And it’s partially due to the fact that the damage has been done. Once you put a narrative like the Cuties controversy out into the world—especially one that’s accompanied by the shock-value image of preteen girls striking provocative poses in provocative outfits—it’s all but impossible to close Pandora’s box.

But even if it’s pointless, I’m still coming to Cuties’ defense. Someone needs to, both because the film is—ironically—a thoughtful criticism of the way society pressures girls to be sexy at far too young an age, and because it’s scary that YouTube-addicted conspiracy theorists, even if they think they’re “saving the children,” have the power to shape the narrative of a Sundance award-winning film. Cuties was shaping up to be a stellar feature film debut for Doucouré. Any filmmaker will tell you a strong feature film debut means a great deal in the industry, especially for women directors, and especially for women directors of color. Instead, in an interview with Deadline, Doucouré said she received numerous death threats and “attacks on my character from people who had not seen the film.” She added that Netflix CEO Ted Saranados called to apologize to her personally, and of course, Netflix publicly apologized for the controversial poster on Twitter.

Many seem content to blame this mess on Netflix’s marketing of the film. The photo was undoubtedly a foolish choice for the poster. It’s taken from the movie’s finale, which finds Amy, an 11-year-old daughter of Senegalese immigrants desperate to fit in, and her group of mean-girl friends performing at a local dance competition. (The crowd is shocked by their skimpy outfits and dance moves, because, again, this movie is a thoughtful commentary on the way the hypersexualization of women in media affects girls at impressionable ages.) Even actor Tessa Thompson amended her tweet that came to Cuties defense last month, stating that she was “disappointed to see how it was positioned in terms of marketing,” and that she understood “the response of everybody.”

The truth of the matter is, as uncomfortable as that Netflix poster was, Cuties is a purposefully uncomfortable watch. That’s the point. It’s a truth that girls who are too young to even understand what sex is are sexualizing themselves because they perceive sexuality as a way for women to achieve power and attention. How can you blame them, when TikTok and Instagram and YouTube followers prove them right every day?

French filmmakers have a reputation for going further than Americans would dare to dream of going, and Doucouré is no exception. She pushes the boundaries to address a tricky subject that is rarely spoken of in coming-of-age films for girls. One reason for that is, of course, the real-life young actors, whose own boundaries and comfort levels need to be taken into serious consideration when making a film like Cuties. I sincerely hope Doucouré did so with her young stars, but I wasn’t on the set, and therefore can’t say with certainty that she did. However, I can speak to the way the subject is handled in the film, which is with caution, compassion, and poise. While it is not without faults, Cuties empathizes with the girls who fall victim to society’s pressures, rather than condemn them. It extends the same courtesy to Amy’s traditional Muslim family—Amy’s mother, played by Maïmouna Gueye, is loving and forgiving, but even she can’t protect Amy from this.

There’s absolutely no way to convey the above nuance in a poster, hence why the Netflix marketing choice was a bad one. But to place the blame solely on the streaming service is to let the angry mob off the hook. The people who owe Doucouré an apology more than anyone are the ones sending her death threats, the ones badgering critics to change our reviews to “rotten” on Rotten Tomatoes (not how that works, incidentally), and the ones spamming the trailer on YouTube and Instagram, all before they ever watched the film. Now that Cuties is streaming on Netflix, those people could, in theory, watch the movie for themselves before listening to a Reddit thread that told them to get mad. But I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited:
I'm ditching NetFlix, not because I care about this issue, because I'm cutting the cord and switching to YouTube TV and getting rid of NetFlix is part of that.

Feels like the time I was hungry and was eating at Chick-Fil-A and realized after I sat down to eat there was some church's "Eat at Chick-Fil-A to support traditional marriage" night.

It feels a little bit futile to write another article in defense of Netflix’s Cuties. The chances of changing the minds of its many detractors—who accused Netflix of promoting pedophilia, who gave the trailer 1.6 million dislikes on YouTube, who sent drove director Maïmouna Doucouré off of social media with death threats, who signed a petition demanding Netflix cancel the film, and who are still sending me emails telling me I’m a pedophile—seem slim to none.

That’s partially due to the fact that a not-insignificant portion of the backlash against Cuties stems from right-wing QAnon conspiracy theorists, aka people who believe that Democrats and Hollywood celebrities are behind a child sex trafficking ring. It seems unlikely that people who rely on unverified “secret moles” on 4chan for information will listen to reason. And it’s partially due to the fact that the damage has been done. Once you put a narrative like the Cuties controversy out into the world—especially one that’s accompanied by the shock-value image of preteen girls striking provocative poses in provocative outfits—it’s all but impossible to close Pandora’s box.

But even if it’s pointless, I’m still coming to Cuties’ defense. Someone needs to, both because the film is—ironically—a thoughtful criticism of the way society pressures girls to be sexy at far too young an age, and because it’s scary that YouTube-addicted conspiracy theorists, even if they think they’re “saving the children,” have the power to shape the narrative of a Sundance award-winning film. Cuties was shaping up to be a stellar feature film debut for Doucouré. Any filmmaker will tell you a strong feature film debut means a great deal in the industry, especially for women directors, and especially for women directors of color. Instead, in an interview with Deadline, Doucouré said she received numerous death threats and “attacks on my character from people who had not seen the film.” She added that Netflix CEO Ted Saranados called to apologize to her personally, and of course, Netflix publicly apologized for the controversial poster on Twitter.

Many seem content to blame this mess on Netflix’s marketing of the film. The photo was undoubtedly a foolish choice for the poster. It’s taken from the movie’s finale, which finds Amy, an 11-year-old daughter of Senegalese immigrants desperate to fit in, and her group of mean-girl friends performing at a local dance competition. (The crowd is shocked by their skimpy outfits and dance moves, because, again, this movie is a thoughtful commentary on the way the hypersexualization of women in media affects girls at impressionable ages.) Even actor Tessa Thompson amended her tweet that came to Cuties defense last month, stating that she was “disappointed to see how it was positioned in terms of marketing,” and that she understood “the response of everybody.”

The truth of the matter is, as uncomfortable as that Netflix poster was, Cuties is a purposefully uncomfortable watch. That’s the point. It’s a truth that girls who are too young to even understand what sex is are sexualizing themselves because they perceive sexuality as a way for women to achieve power and attention. How can you blame them, when TikTok and Instagram and YouTube followers prove them right every day?

French filmmakers have a reputation for going further than Americans would dare to dream of going, and Doucouré is no exception. She pushes the boundaries to address a tricky subject that is rarely spoken of in coming-of-age films for girls. One reason for that is, of course, the real-life young actors, whose own boundaries and comfort levels need to be taken into serious consideration when making a film like Cuties. I sincerely hope Doucouré did so with her young stars, but I wasn’t on the set, and therefore can’t say with certainty that she did. However, I can speak to the way the subject is handled in the film, which is with caution, compassion, and poise. While it is not without faults, Cuties empathizes with the girls who fall victim to society’s pressures, rather than condemn them. It extends the same courtesy to Amy’s traditional Muslim family—Amy’s mother, played by Maïmouna Gueye, is loving and forgiving, but even she can’t protect Amy from this.

There’s absolutely no way to convey the above nuance in a poster, hence why the Netflix marketing choice was a bad one. But to place the blame solely on the streaming service is to let the angry mob off the hook. The people who owe Doucouré an apology more than anyone are the ones sending her death threats, the ones badgering critics to change our reviews to “rotten” on Rotten Tomatoes (not how that works, incidentally), and the ones spamming the trailer on YouTube and Instagram, all before they ever watched the film. Now that Cuties is streaming on Netflix, those people could, in theory, watch the movie for themselves before listening to a Reddit thread that told them to get mad. But I’m not holding my breath.

Could you condense this into something that would fit on a bumper sticker? Also, could you make me feel like The Media is victimizing me? That's the only way I can understand this. I'm an American, after all.

Read an interview from the director. Seems she wanted to tell a story about how the hypersexualation of the internet to young girls affects them. She evidently interviewed many preteens about their thoughts and perspective. Netflix completely screwed the pooch on the marketing of the film. The director doesn't come off as a nut job artist. I'd blame Netflix on the way they promoted this film.

I'm ditching NetFlix, not because I care about this issue, because I'm cutting the cord and switching to YouTube TV and getting rid of NetFlix is part of that.

Feels like the time I was hungry and was eating at Chick-Fil-A and realized after I sat down to eat there was some church's "Eat at Chick-Fil-A to support traditional marriage" night.
You realize that cutting the cord AND canceling Netflix is like saying you're giving up Chick-fil-A in favor of Canes Chicken and you're also not going to eat McDonalds, right?

You realize that cutting the cord AND canceling Netflix is like saying you're giving up Chick-fil-A in favor of Canes Chicken and you're also not going to eat McDonalds, right?
I'm getting rid of cable TV in favor of streaming options. NetFlix doesn't fit into the new picture. Is that better?

Read an interview from the director. Seems she wanted to tell a story about how the hypersexualation of the internet to young girls affects them. She evidently interviewed many preteens about their thoughts and perspective. Netflix completely screwed the pooch on the marketing of the film. The director doesn't come off as a nut job artist. I'd blame Netflix on the way they promoted this film.

Yet she could have done that without sexualizing those preteen girls in her film.

I haven’t watched the film and this is the first I am hearing about it. But if what’s on IMDb about the film is true, then people have a right to be upset.

Yet she could have done that without sexualizing those preteen girls in her film.

I haven’t watched the film and this is the first I am hearing about it. But if what’s on IMDb about the film is true, then people have a right to be upset.
Art is supposed to invoke a reaction. The director doesn't want you to be comfortable or just nod your head in agreement.
It's like telling Steven Spielberg to go easy on the violence in Schindlers List.

Reactions: torbee

I feel like Silence of the Lambs would have been better if they hadn’t made Hannibal Lecter such a creepy, psychologically damaged sicko.

Reactions: noleclone2

Women do it to themselves. They exploit men's weaknesses and purposefully behave this way.

I’ve enjoyed a couple of Netflix series but with a few exceptions, the movie selection is like the $3.99 DVD bin at Walmart.

As soon as I finish Cobra Kai, Season 2 then I'm done. Can't wait to see who is good and bad: Johnny or Daniel. My mind is blown after Season 1. Then I will renew when next Ozarks and Stranger Things seasons come out and cancel 1 month later after binge watching everyday.

Do I have an older version of Netflix? Mine does not have a cord. HELP!

I'm getting rid of cable TV in favor of streaming options. NetFlix doesn't fit into the new picture. Is that better?

....but Netflix is a streaming option....

I don't really care, but maybe it would be easier to understand if you thought Netflix just didn't have anything on it that you cared to watch. It's not a big deal, but usually "cutting the cord" means using Netflix and then something like YTTV for local networks and sports.

Reactions: LBoogie28
ADVERTISEMENT