ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a Roomba or similar device

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
Do they work? Any recommendations? Tile is done on the ground floor and figured a robot vacuum would be a nice addition. Someone is selling a roomba knockoff called a Deebot for dirt cheep on Facebook but I've never heard of it.

It does as long as you use it regularly. You have to empty it and keep brushes clean/changed (ideally about every 2 months but we change them oh...every 2 years).

We use it strictly on carpet though, I don't think I'd trust our Roomba on tile. It's more of a brush than a vacuum that really sucks.

No experience with tile. Love it for the carpets though. But take care of it. The filters and rollers get unusable pretty quickly if they don’t get changed.

Yes they work and yes they're worth it. We own two of the Roomba 690 models. Purchased 2+ years ago and still going strong. We use them on carpet and hardwood, but I'm sure they'd work fine on tile as long as your grout lines aren't super deep.

Disclaimer: they don't completely replace regular vacuuming, but they seem to capture about 95% of the dust and pet hair.

Reactions: ferentzin04
Yep. Ours covers mostly carpet, but does the kitchen too which is tile. It’s awesome, even for the simple fact that it forces us to make sure the floors are mostly picked up every night.

I’ll echo what others said though. You have to keep up with it. I clean the trap and roller on mine every morning. We have two dogs, so if it wasn’t for them I probably would have to empty it as much.

Yes they work. You will learn there are random spots they get stuck though. We have a table that is the perfect height for it to go under and get stuck. Fwiw we named ours "mary" and joke about the places she "passes out".

Do they work? Any recommendations? Tile is done on the ground floor and figured a robot vacuum would be a nice addition. Someone is selling a roomba knockoff called a Deebot for dirt cheep on Facebook but I've never heard of it.
It polishes wood floors. It is also fine on tile. That being said, ours is giving us issues today. It keeps stopping and says we need to clean the brushes, which we did, but it still keeps stopping and saying we need to clean the brushes.

I've been seeing more and more of those Roomba type lawnmowers when I'm out for my walks with my best friend. They seem pretty awesome. Once my kids are out of the house in 13 years I'll probably pick one of those up.

In before @NorthernHawkeye calls them dumb because that’s what your wife is for.

-eqbIzfBNHJ4v95RZy_Y0S6G-NN00xrn_ICoRaIA_A-v03lgXvpfq8tlAvyiaAN38kxEGUTtJ99YXcfdDa_DeUv0bsCyJJcSsg3vAR_CRPvpU3meUSjjH7FJWxNnsaiPgijuRQ

It polishes wood floors. It is also fine on tile. That being said, ours is giving us issues today. It keeps stopping and says we need to clean the brushes, which we did, but it still keeps stopping and saying we need to clean the brushes.
That happened to us last week. Found a reddit thread that suggested pulling the rollers off and taking off the end cap (the end with a square, ours are yellow). Lo and behold, there were mounds of cat hair stuck deep down under the caps. Might wanna give that a try.

That happened to us last week. Found a reddit thread that suggested pulling the rollers off and taking off the end cap (the end with a square, ours are yellow). Lo and behold, there were mounds of cat hair stuck deep down under the caps. Might wanna give that a try.
I actually did that and it worked. It’s crazy how much hair builds up in these machines. It’s an easy spot to miss when cleaning it.

We have had shit luck with two different brands. Do not recommend.

Do not get if you have long-haired dwellers human or animal. effing waste of time.

We have a dumb one that just roams around aimlessly bonking into things, but cleans well. Shortly after we got it they came up with ones that actually go back and forth and will map the rooms and you can then tell it which rooms to clean. We’ll probably get one of those for the main floor and move the dumb one upstairs. It does both carpet and hardwood floors well and we have it programmed to run every Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT