ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have an update on the gay wedding cake case at the Supreme Court?

The baker told what happened in multiple interviews. He's not against them personally, he's against same-sex marriage. It's amazing that you can't understand this. It's not that complicated.

Oh, that's the baker's version. Totally credible then. LOL

Baking a cake does not violate the baker’s religious principles. Simply baking a cake is not an affirmation of support. I’m sure he has baked plenty of cakes for children born out of wedlock with nary a fuss.

Now, if the couple was asking the baker to design a cake that said “I support gay marriage”...that’s a different story.

They did ask him to design a cake. He said he was willing to sell them anything but he did not design Cakes for same-sex marriages. That's when the Democrats tried to destroy him.

You are the perfect rube for religious cultism: simple-minded and averse to independent thought.

Actually, you're the simple one in this thread. You call people bigots that disagree with you and you want to destroy them. You're a fascist.

You also clearly have not researched this case at all which is why you're making so many errors and have such a shallow understanding.

Actually, you're the simple one in this thread. You call people bigots that disagree with you and you want to destroy them. You're a fascist.

You also clearly have not researched this case at all which is why you're making so many errors and have such a shallow understanding.

What errors did I make? You're a hurt little choir boy, huh?

They did ask him to design a cake. He said he was willing to sell them anything but he did not design Cakes for same-sex marriages. That's when the Democrats tried to destroy him.

I am aware. Simply designing a cake does not equal support of gay marriage. He could have easily designed a generic cake for the wedding that would not have been an imposition on his religious convictions. Like I said, he undoubtedly has made cakes before (I.e. cakes for babies born out of wedlock) that presumably go against his religious beliefs.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
BS. You want Sharia Law? You seem to argue for it. Oh that's right, you want Christian Sharia Law. You want discrimination against someone born a certain way to be acceptable. That's not America.

You have it backwards. Christian bakers don't have a monopoly on the wedding cake market. People have choices in a free society.

Why do you hate the idea of a free society?

I'm not seeking to impose anything on anybody. That's what you're doing in this thread, trying to impose a gay version of Sharia Law.

I am aware. Simply designing a cake does not equal support of gay marriage. He could have easily designed a generic cake for the wedding that would not have been an imposition on his religious convictions. Like I said, he undoubtedly has made cakes before (I.e. cakes for babies born out of wedlock) that presumably go against his religious beliefs.

The baker considers his wedding cakes to be art. He does not want to be forced to violate his beliefs. He said he would sell them any pre-made cake or anything else in his store.

He has turned down offers for his cakes for other reasons in the past.

You and @Menace Sockeyes really need to learn more about this case before you comment on it.

The baker considers his cakes to be art. He does not want to be forced to violate his beliefs. He said he would sell them any pre-made cake.

He has turned down offers for his cakes for other reasons in the past.

You and @Menace Sockeyes really need to learn more about this case before you comment on it.

I am aware of the facts of the case, thanks. I am not convinced that designing a generic cake would in any way violate his religious principles.

I am aware of the facts of the case, thanks. I am not convinced that designing a generic cake would in any way violate his religieous principles.

They did not ask the baker for a generic cake. They wanted a specially designed cake. He offered them a generic cake and they refused.

You don't understand the facts of the case.

No, because your hipocrisy is absurd. It's religious law you want.
My opinion is that same-sex couples have every right to get married, but people who don’t want to participate in their wedding shouldn’t be forced to.

If the couple walked into the baker’s shop and wanted to buy an item out of his display case then he should be required to sell it to them. But he should have the option of not baking a customized cake specifically for their wedding.

If that’s your definition of “religious law” then, yeah, I guess I want religious law.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Yes, Americans should not be persecuted by the government for their religious beliefs. It's the fundamental core right in our constitution. If the Supremes allow this, then the Constitution is meaningless.

Claiming religious beliefs doesn't trump all. If you were educated in the law, you would know that.

My opinion is that same-sex couples have every right to get married, but people who don’t want to participate in their wedding shouldn’t be forced to.

Narrator: "But, indeed, NO ONE was forced to participate in any gay wedding here, something the silly Conservative didn't seem to be able to process through his feeble mind"

Claiming religious beliefs doesn't trump all. If you were educated in the law, you would know that.

If it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights, then it's supreme. Certainly a religious belief that we have to throw virgins in the volcano to prevent disaster cannot be allowed in a free society, because it violates the rights of the virgins.

Again, no one is saying that gays be prohibited from purchasing a wedding cake with two grooms on top. What we're saying is that a cake maker cannot be compelled by the government to enter into a contract to provide such a cake. That is clearly a violation of the first amendment. It's not even debatable.

Reactions: BrianNole09
You have that backwards, sport. Colorado passed a law that forces people to violate their religious principles. Not the other way around.

Colorado passed a law that requires people to keep their religion to themselves, and in their own churches, and not force those beliefs onto others who may not share them.

Colorado passed a law that requires people to keep their religion to themselves, and in their own churches, and not force those beliefs onto others who may not share them.

The two plaintiffs could have simply went someplace else instead of trying to ruin the baker because he disagrees with their lifestyle.

They're total douchebags, IMO.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
Nope. Not remotely close.

Of course it is.

The government is requiring that he use his artistic skills to endorse an event that he believes to be blasphemous, or else the government will take his property from him.

It's a short walk from there to requiring people to publicly endorse the government, or the president.

That is patently unconstitutional.

No, it is not. There is no infringement on someone's beliefs nor their ability to practice their religion.

If this baker required everyone to recite the Lord's Prayer before selling a cake, and someone refused, would you be ok with that?

Selling a cake is a financial transaction; not a religious belief or act.

They did not ask the baker for a generic cake. They wanted a specially designed cake. He offered them a generic cake and they refused.

Ugh. I am aware they wanted a custom designed cake. If the cake was meant to say “congratulations on the gay wedding”, there are First Amendment implications. If the cake was just a generic design (in that it is indistinguishable from a cake for a straight couple’s wedding), then I do not see how it violates the baker’s religious beliefs. Admittedly I do not know the exact design the couple wanted.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
No, it is not. There is no infringement on someone's beliefs nor their ability to practice their religion.

If this baker required everyone to recite the Lord's Prayer before selling a cake, and someone refused, would you be ok with that?

Selling a cake is a financial transaction; not a religious belief or act.

We're also supposed to have freedom of association in this country. If someone wants to have a business that deals exclusively with Christians, I honestly don't have a problem with that.

Same thing if it's a person who only wants to sell to Jews, or Muslims, or Atheists... live and let live. Unless there's a monopoly on the products or services being sold, how is it anybody else business?

Ugh. I am aware they wanted a custom designed cake. If the cake was meant to say “congratulations on the gay wedding”, there are First Amendment implications. If the cake was just a generic design (in that it is indistinguishable from a cake for a straight couple’s wedding), then I do not see how it violates the baker’s religious beliefs. Admittedly I do not know the exact design the couple wanted.

He said he would sell them a generic cake. That wasn't good enough.

Pretty sure the request it say: Big Gay ButtSeck Wedding.

Seems like the baker lacked humor.

Reactions: Joes Place

I think they wanted it to say "Gay Marriages are Awesome, and I Can't Wait to Boof Tom in the Ass"

Can't really see the problem there....;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT