ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have an update on the gay wedding cake case at the Supreme Court?

That doesn't mean it's not participation. He didn't want their money in exchange for participation.

Baking a cake isn't presiding over a wedding ceremony. If they'd asked him to preside, he'd have a clear cut case.

Has he turned down cakes for people who have divorced?

Because "Christians" should be able to make their personal religious beliefs decide "law", bro.:eek:

Well, that's the next frontier. Since all the really smart people believe religion is made up silliness, by what standard can we judge which silliness is worthy of constitution protection and which isn't.

Well, that's the next frontier. Since all the really smart people believe religion is made up silliness, by what standard can we judge which silliness is worthy of constitution protection and which isn't.

....what part of "not favoring any individual religion" is so confusing to you?

Jack Phillips isn't just cranking out Walmart "Summa --- Laude" graduation cakes. Every cake he makes is a custom work of art. Some of his cakes are depicted at the bottom of this post.

I'm still waiting for a reply to my earlier question about making signs and banners for a pro-life rally. While you're crafting your response to that query, ponder this one as well. Suppose you are a sculptor. One day you are contacted by two members of the George W Bush Library in Dallas. They want you to create a bust of former VP Dick Cheney to be displayed in the library.

Should you be forced to do it whether you want to or not? Or should you have the option of saying "no, thank you"?

Specialty_Cakes_37.jpg

Specialty_Cakes_3.jpg

cakes
I know you already know this, public accommodation is the answer to your questions. A baker knew he was opening a business of public accommodation when he went into business. Printers and sculptors are not usually running a business of public accommodation.

Guess what, Joe? I'm not a Christian.

Well, THAT explains it. Here I'd figured ANY Christian would live by Jesus words "Do Unto Others..."

Seems like singling people out and NOT serving them is precisely what Jesus would NOT do....

Well, THAT explains it. Here I'd figured ANY Christian would live by Jesus words "Do Unto Others..."

Seems like singling people out and NOT serving them is precisely what Jesus would NOT do....

Jesus threw the money-changers out of the temple.

Don't worry O'l Joe hasn't seen the ball since the kickoff!!

Jesus clearly defined marriage as between a man and a woman, for life. We not only have Jesus's teachings, we have other parts of Scripture and 2,000 years of Christian tradition.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+19:4-11&version=NIV

Your "arguments" don't hold any water because you don't know anything about Jesus or Christianity.

The Democratic party is losing me because of their opposition to faith and freedom...

Last edited:
So....then, they DIDN'T have the option to "just go to Walmart".

Huh....
Not if they wanted to get a custom-made artistic cake. They probably had to choose from one of the dozens (if not hundreds) of other cake artists in the greater Denver metro area.

Reactions: BrianNole09
They don't have to be. In this case, they are.
No, they are not. A “financial transaction” would be two gay guys walk into the bakery, peruse the contents of the display case, choose the one the like, and pay for it and take it home.

This was a case where the happy couple wanted a custom, artistic cake. That is something more than just a “financial transaction”.

And I’m still waiting for your answers regarding the pro-life signs and the bust of Dick Cheney.

It's been explained to you multiple times. You will need to turn to google if you are still at a loss as to the meaning of public accommodation.

The men could have just gone to another one of the 10000 bakeries available to them.

Instead, they are out for blood...

It's been explained to you multiple times. You will need to turn to google if you are still at a loss as to the meaning of public accommodation.

A "public accommodation" means a menu and you choose something.

It does not mean designing a custom-made cake celebrating an unholy union.

What if this guy created a "normal" cake and put a bride and groom on top? Still a problem?

A "public accommodation" means a menu and you choose something.

It does not mean designing a custom-made cake celebrating an unholy union.

What if this guy created a "normal" cake and put a bride and groom on top? Still a problem?
Wrong, Google it

I know you already know this, public accommodation is the answer to your questions. A baker knew he was opening a business of public accommodation when he went into business. Printers and sculptors are not usually running a business of public accommodation.
How is a custom baked cake a “public accommodation” and custom signage isn’t?

Phillips gladly sells baked goods to homosexuals out of his display case. That is public accommodation, a customized cake is not.

By the same token, a print shop would have to allow some pro-lifers to buy card stock and printer cartridges off the shelf but wouldn’t necessarily be required to make customized “ABORTION IS MURDER!” signs.

How is a custom baked cake a “public accommodation” and custom signage isn’t?

Phillips gladly sells baked goods to homosexuals out of his display case. That is public accommodation, a customized cake is not.

By the same token, a print shop would have to allow some pro-lifers to buy card stock and printer cartridges off the shelf but wouldn’t necessarily be required to make customized “ABORTION IS MURDER!” signs.
Why are you pretending? You already know that a business of public accommodation has a set definition that covers most Bakers that serve food but not printers. That's the law.

Here's another thought on the "public accommodation" angle...

Gay newlyweds check into a hotel and state they want the "Gay Honeymoon Suite". The desk clerk replies that they don't have a "gay" honeymoon suite. It's just the "honeymoon" suite. Same thing for gays or straights.

Is that not good enough? Or does the hotelier have to change the name of the suite because it's a public accommodation? Maybe do something about the horrid drapes, too?

You can't legislate morality. But, you can be patient while morality goes its natural way, and help push it along where, and when, you can

Here's another thought on the "public accommodation" angle...

Gay newlyweds check into a hotel and state they want the "Gay Honeymoon Suite". The desk clerk replies that they don't have a "gay" honeymoon suite. It's just the "honeymoon" suite. Same thing for gays or straights.

Is that not good enough? Or does the hotelier have to change the name of the suite because it's a public accommodation? Maybe do something about the horrid drapes, too?
That's just nonsense.

The only possible variable would be if the hotel management refused them the honeymoon suite.

Why are you pretending? You already know that a business of public accommodation has a set definition that covers most Bakers that serve food but not printers. That's the law.
It includes food served for consumption on premises. It does not necessarily include customized cakes for special events.

If the print shop owner didn’t want to have to make signs for things he doesn’t agree with then he shouldn’t have opened a business.

Why don’t you just admit that you think it’s okay to discriminate against people you don’t agree with?

It includes food served for consumption on premises. It does not necessarily include customized cakes for special events.

If the print shop owner didn’t want to have to make signs for things he doesn’t agree with then he shouldn’t have opened a business.

Why don’t you just admit that you think it’s okay to discriminate against people you don’t agree with?
I didn't write the law, but you're wrong. Because the Baker serves food, the entire operation is covered by public accommodation laws. He could spin off his custom cake business if he wanted so it wasn't covered, but he didn't. The printer was never covered by these laws. This has been explained to you before. I shouldn't be expected to reeducate the board every time this topic appears.

I didn't write the law, but you're wrong. Because the Baker serves food, the entire operation is covered by public accommodation laws. He could spin off his custom cake business if he wanted so it wasn't covered, but he didn't. The printer was never covered by these laws. This has been explained to you before. I shouldn't be expected to reeducate the board every time this topic appears.

giphy.gif

In July 2012, Craig and Mullins visited Masterpiece, a bakery in Lakewood, Colorado, and requested that Phillips design and create a cake to celebrate their same-sex wedding. Phillips declined, telling them that he does not create wedding cakes for same-sex weddings because of his religious beliefs, but advising Craig and Mullins that he would be happy to make and sell them any other baked goods.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16-111-op-bel-colo-app.pdf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT