ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have their own tortilla press?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We just get tortillas from the store but cannot help but notice the fresh tortillas you get a restaurant are so much better. Any recommendations on or tips on presses/dough?

Reactions: jasonrann
I had one in my Amazon cart for a few weeks but didn't pull the trigger. I think my wife is getting tired of all the kitchen gadgets I've been buying lately.

Reactions: Tenacious E
We just get tortillas from the store but cannot help but notice the fresh tortillas you get a restaurant are so much better. Any recommendations on or tips on presses/dough?

We are fortunate to have a grocery store that's on my way home that caters a lot to the Latino community. They make tortillas fresh in the store. There will literally be condensation in the bags because they're still warm. So delicious! The wife (no pic) takes their corn tortillas, cuts them up and makes fresh chips. Fantastic stuff!

I had one in my Amazon cart for a few weeks but didn't pull the trigger. I think my wife is getting tired of all the kitchen gadgets I've been buying lately.
That is too funny. You should have seen the eye roll I got when I brought home an air fryer last week.

Reactions: BelemNole
k%2Farchive%2Fe3deba64bb24a911e823a2aeae4c90812bd40d91

This guy does not like unitaskers

k%2Farchive%2Fe3deba64bb24a911e823a2aeae4c90812bd40d91

This guy does not like unitaskers
Never heard the term "unitasker" but every mexican restaurant I have been to has one so they must be worth it. I would also add that getting a job done right often times comes down to having the right tool.

Al pastor tacos with a fresh pressed corn tortilla is possibly the goat mexican food.

Had some out in austin a few weeks ago with fresh made pineapple pico and a lime squeezed over it and about jizzed my pants.

Take a gallon size ziplock bag, cut off the top and along the seams of the sides to use with the press and eliminate them sticking to the press and can be reused for quite awhile. It takes some time getting the correct dough consistency. I would say the perfect consistency is close to play-doh that has been used a few times.

CSB- My BIL (no pics) was born and raised in Guadalajara. His tortillas are way better than mine....

Take a gallon size ziplock bag, cut off the top and along the seams of the sides to use with the press and eliminate them sticking to the press and can be reused for quite awhile. It takes some time getting the correct dough consistency. I would say the perfect consistency is close to play-doh that has been used a few times.

CSB- My BIL (no pics) was born and raised in Guadalajara. His tortillas are way better than mine....
Pics of sis married to Mexican man?

Reactions: ping72
Al pastor tacos with a fresh pressed corn tortilla is possibly the goat mexican food.

Had some out in austin a few weeks ago with fresh made pineapple pico and a lime squeezed over it and about jizzed my pants.
I'm a flour tortilla man myself but that does sound delightful.

Fresh corn tortillas > any flour tortilla > store bought corn tortillas
I find corn tortillas to be too chewy and "corny" detracting from the flavor of everything else, but maybe that was because I have only had store bought.

Yeah, I have a lot of pasta making tools that have arrived lately. I now have an entire pasta tools drawer to go with my bbq tools drawer.
Our spouses may roll their eyes with each purchase but they willingly consume delicious foods put on their plates! That, and it is great to produce quality foods for our kids and that they recognize it. I know my son in particular is becoming a snob with regard to at least some types of food. God forbid if he was raised by @FSUTribe76; the poor lad wouldn't be able to eat a perfectly delicious and cooked steak without lamenting the fact its marbling was not the result of the consumption of exotic acorns and forage from a secluded reserve in the Arkansas. ;)

My advice is to keep is simple. Find a very basic recipe you like and stick to it. Don't feel the need to add anything to "spice them up." A simple, fresh tortilla is sublime.

If this weren't pandemic times I would enjoy ceaselessly mocking the notion of making ones own tortillas on a specialty built home tortilla-making contraption.

Dateline 9/16/2020 - "Where do I buy one?"

If this weren't pandemic times I would enjoy ceaselessly mocking the notion of making ones own tortillas on a specialty built home tortilla-making contraption.

Dateline 9/16/2020 - "Where do I buy one?"
More importantly, what to buy? Amazon reviews of them can be pretty harsh.

The uncooked ones are also a good option. I know Costco and a few other stores sell uncooked flour tortillas. Just cook them in a dry non-stick skillet for a few seconds on each side.

Reporting posts is a job for Mexicans. Low cost message board administration -- doing the work white people won't do!
I'm sorry that you need to use racism in an attempt at humor for likes on the internet. I would advise you to try and be a better person today than you were yesterday.

Reactions: ping72
I find corn tortillas to be too chewy and "corny" detracting from the flavor of everything else, but maybe that was because I have only had store bought.

2:1 ratio of masa to water...with a pinch of salt (a bit more if a bigger batch). Mix it, roll it into a ball. If it's sticky, add a little masa. If it crack or falls apart, add a little water. It should be handled easily. Then pull of golf ball sized bits, roll them, then flatten. Toss them on an iron skillet or in the oven until they have just a bit of color and they're ready.

It will literally take 10 minutes from measuring to starting to eat them if it's a small batch. And fresh they are WAY better than packaged.

We are fortunate to have a grocery store that's on my way home that caters a lot to the Latino community. They make tortillas fresh in the store. There will literally be condensation in the bags because they're still warm. So delicious! The wife (no pic) takes their corn tortillas, cuts them up and makes fresh chips. Fantastic stuff!

LULZ. They do this in every grocery store in Houston no matter the neighborhood.

We usually just go buy a dozen at the mom & pop Mexican restaurant by the house. They're incredible.

LULZ. They do this in every grocery store in Houston no matter the neighborhood.

We usually just go buy a dozen at the mom & pop Mexican restaurant by the house. They're incredible.

We do this too, including their salsa which they put in a foam drink cup. Simple, but delicious.

Reactions: WisestIowan
My wife (no pics) and I took a cooking class in Cozumel and made our on tortillas. They were legit.

We tried to replicate the recipe once we got home. No bueno.

Find a good local place that makes them.

What do you, and your BIL, use for flour for your dough?

What do you, and your BIL, use for flour for your dough?
The green/yellow bag of masa flour. Posting on mobile so not gonna try and post a pic.

Same process as SSG T stated above minus rolling them out. Just put the dough ball between the plastic then smash and move to a pre-heated medium low flat top. Once there is a bubble or two and changes to a little paler color after about a minute, flip and cook another minute. If they start to get golden/brown, you cooked it too long imo. Remove to a dish/basket lined with a tea towel and cover then serve warm. No oil needed on the flat top/griddle.

If I weren’t a gentleman there are about three HROT jokes in your response, starting with how your wife also caters to the Latino community, and how we’ve all enjoyed her warm condensation. But, I’m a gentleman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT