ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know anyone who died in an elevator fall?

Almost just happened to me. My sense of time is distorted as it was a near death experience and I am still coming down from intense adrenaline/shock, but I free fell at least a second and maybe two. I thought I was going to die as I was about 13 or 14 floors up at that point. I was able to get off on the 7th floor and took another elevator down to the first floor to make sure they took that elevator out of commission IMMEDIATELY, and the front desk said they were working on that elevator. I said WHAT??? They didn't put an elevator out of commission that they were working on???? Wow. I was free falling, and I was like f*ck, this is how I'm going to go out? Damn. Never take your next breath for granted.
I’m curious to the details here. The front desk said they were “working” on the elevator. Was the service provider actually onsite at the time?

This is actually something I know a ton about

Reactions: Tenacious E
I’m curious to the details here. The front desk said they were “working” on the elevator. Was the service provider actually onsite at the time?

This is actually something I know a ton about
That is my understanding. We have requested records.

Had a guy killed when he fell down the elevator shaft at a construction site I was working on in my youth. They were moving some material and he stepped back into the hole...fell 4-5 stories. They didn't have any kind of barrier in place so I'm sure there was a fat settlement. The guy was in his late 20's IIRC. I was nowhere near it. They came around and told everybody to go home - I had no idea why until a friend called me a little later.
Sadly, I have seen a few of those cases.

It happend to me once in my NYC apartment building. I stepped into the elevator on the lobby level and the thing started accelerating as we went up. We sailed by my floor, and it quickly braked and stopped at the penthouse, but the door did not open. After a few seconds we were in a free-fall for a total of 34 floors, where it bounced at the basement level, and went up 4-5 floors, paused and again crashed to the basement. It then bounced about ten feet or so and stopped between the basement and the lobby level. The doorman sent a handyman who pried the door open, and I crawled out onto the lobby floor.

It was never a total freefall, but we were frigging flying, and accelerating the entire way down. Some kind of braking system kicked in, but the stop was still quite sudden. It hit some sort of bottom and bounced. I was getting ready for another round trip when it came to a stop.

The doorman, who seemed to have seen this happen before thought the whole thing was funny as hell and was delighted that I was treating it like an adventure. I think he was mostly happy that it was me and not one of the many LOL's (Little old ladies) who resided in the building.

What a frigging ride!!

Except that they quickly closed both elevators and I had to then walk up 32 flights of steps ... and back down again in the morning.

Edit: This would have been in 2005, 2006, or 2007.

Last edited:
I've had 4 friends die in separate incidents that way.
dog-what.gif

It happend to me once in my NYC apartment building. I stepped into the elevator on the lobby level and the thing started accelerating as we went up. We sailed by my floor, and it quickly braked and stopped at the penthouse, but the door did not open. After a few seconds we were in a free-fall for a total of 34 floors, where it bounced at the basement level, and went up 4-5 floors, paused and again crashed to the basement. It then bounced about ten feet or so and stopped between the basement and the lobby level. The doorman sent a handyman who pried the door open, and I crawled out onto the lobby floor.

It was never a total freefall, but we were frigging flying, and accelerating the entire way down. Some kind of braking system kicked in, but the stop was still quite sudden. It hit some sort of bottom and bounced. I was getting ready for another round trip when it came to a stop.

The doorman, who seemed to have seen this happen before thought the whole thing was funny as hell and was delighted that I was treating it like an adventure. I think he was mostly happy that it was me and not one of the many LOL's (Little old ladies) who resided in the building.

What a frigging ride!!

Except that they quickly closed both elevators and I had to then walk up 32 flights of steps ... and back down again in the morning.
You win.

Did you/do you work at Kone (formerly Montgomery). You probably know my buddy.

Related: why are all elevator guys right wingers? Ya'll listened to too much Limbaugh! (RIH)
Sure do. Who was it?

I’m in South Florida so the union guys might be a little different than the Quad guys. A lot of the 55+ guys are democrats. Joe Manchin type guys. There is a good portion that aren’t political at all unless you count Salt Life as a political organization. Then you have some hard core MAGA.

Reactions: torbee
Sure do. Who was it?

I’m in South Florida so the union guys might be a little different than the Quad guys. A lot of the 55+ guys are democrats. Joe Manchin type guys. There is a good portion that aren’t political at all unless you count Salt Life as a political organization. Then you have some hard core MAGA.
My friend I jokingly called the "elevator whisperer" as they sent him out from Moline whenever the local guys couldn't figure out what was wrong. Initials are G.S. Funny dude, smart, super nice, unfortunate politics ;)

Elevators in general are very safe and have multiple safety features with redundancies. With tractions, if there is a free fall due to a brake and motor failure, the governor will grip the safeties and the cab will lock down onto the rails.

If you have a brake and motor failure and you are the only one in the cab, you are going to shoot up into the overhead. Elevators prior to 2008 weren’t required to have a secondary brake that would prevent the “upfall”.

Most of the time if you feel that you are falling is when you are traveling and the clutch or the sill clip the interlock and momentarily brakes the safety chain which causes the elevator to stop.

My friend I jokingly called the "elevator whisperer" as they sent him out from Moline whenever the local guys couldn't figure out what was wrong. Initials are G.S. Funny dude, smart, super nice, unfortunate politics ;)
Oh I would for sure know him. What is his first name

Elevators in general are very safe and have multiple safety features with redundancies. With tractions, if there is a free fall due to a brake and motor failure, the governor will grip the safeties and the cab will lock down onto the rails.

If you have a brake and motor failure and you are the only one in the cab, you are going to shoot up into the overhead. Elevators prior to 2008 weren’t required to have a secondary brake that would prevent the “upfall”.

Most of the time if you feel that you are falling is when you are traveling and the clutch or the sill clip the interlock and momentarily brakes the safety chain which causes the elevator to stop.
I thought I remembered that you were in elevator sales or something like that. I was just going to search for that before I read your post.

Im surprised at how little people actually get in the lawsuits. The worst one I’ve seen was $1 million and she was pretty messed up after the accident.

Yeah, its tough. Plus P.I. attorneys only get paid if they win. If they do, it is a chop of 33% plus expert witness costs

I worked in a place where some people drowned in an elevator during a flood.

The hospital in Keokuk had an elevator that didn’t line up on the ground floor. There was an an inch and a half lip between the floor and the elevator floor. Someone was pushing a wheelchair, it caught in the lip and face planted the wheelchair occupant onto the floor breaking their face. It was quietly settled.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I just read your post and I'm so sorry to hear about your terrifying experience! That must have been incredibly scary for you. It's amazing that you were able to think on your feet and take action to ensure the safety of others. I think your message about not taking anything for granted is incredibly important. We never know what life will throw at us, and it's crucial that we take precautions to protect ourselves and those around us. Speaking of precautions, have you considered getting lift maintenance for your office building? It sounds like the elevator you were in was in serious need of repair, and regular maintenance can help prevent accidents like the one you experienced. I've personally used the services at https://hinchong.com/ for my own building, and I've been very satisfied with their work.

Last edited:
So I just learned that after my free fall and yelling at the front desk, while I was collecting myself in my office, it happened a few minutes later to someone else in the building and others from our floor could hear screaming from the elevator shaft. How in the actual f*ck does the front desk/security let someone else on the same elevator???

You guys are slipping...

Reactions: Tenacious E
Almost just happened to me. My sense of time is distorted as it was a near death experience and I am still coming down from intense adrenaline/shock, but I free fell at least a second and maybe two. I thought I was going to die as I was about 13 or 14 floors up at that point. I was able to get off on the 7th floor and took another elevator down to the first floor to make sure they took that elevator out of commission IMMEDIATELY, and the front desk said they were working on that elevator. I said WHAT??? They didn't put an elevator out of commission that they were working on???? Wow. I was free falling, and I was like f*ck, this is how I'm going to go out? Damn. Never take your next breath for granted.

Took me a bit to find this gem.

I think I'd walk the rest of the way down. I hate when an elevator stops at a floor and takes forever to balance and the door to open.

closest I've come to an elevator death was ironically in the Kinnick Press Box.

about 50 people jammed into the elevator up to the the outdoor suite level and after about 5 feet up we heard a loud BOOM and stopped. Luckily it only took about 5 minutes to get the doors opened and we were able to climb off and take the stairs. Still pretty freaky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT