ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know anything about building a Pond?

Mar 11, 2020
trying to find anything concrete is miserable online and I'm not quite close enough to bring out some people for estimates. The pond would end up between 1 and 2 acres but the valley i want to dam is DEEP. (I would guess 70-80 feet deep if we went all the way to the top). Anyone have any experience with putting a pond in or an idea of cost? It would all be on my property. Thanks.

Last edited:
Pretty expensive. You’re looking at anywhere from 2-3 dollars a square yard. Depending on soil type, if a damn needs built, what kind of support equipment is needed. Then if you put in an over flow pipe and structure. I’m not sure where you’re at, but there may also be permits needed, dnr approvals, swpp plan. You may also need to clay line the soil to prevent water from leaching out.. it’s not as simple as digging a hole.

Definitely get a few quotes from landscaping companies...just to get an idea. Worst case they will chat you up and might give you some input. Good luck and as usual...GO HAWKS!

trying to find anything concrete is miserable online and I'm not quite close enough to bring out some people for estimates. The pound would end up between 1 and 2 acres but the valley i want to damn is DEEP. (I would guess 70-80 feet deep if we went all the way to the top). Anyone have any experience with putting a pond in or an idea of cost? It would all be on my property. Thanks.

Yes, I have a fair amount of knowledge in this area, for one, having had a big pond built a few years back. I thought mine was deep, almost 30 feet, but I have never heard of a 70'+ deep pond that wasn't a quarry.

My pond cost about $35k to build... something that would have a dam to hold back 70'+ of water... might be five or more times that I would guess. Mine, as are almost all ponds in Iowa, is an earthen dam... you mentioned concrete...I suspect you would need dnr approval, engineering, etc. I wouldn't even have a good guess at that... maybe a quarter million, or more, to go that route.

Knowing only what is in your op...I would look to build something that would hold back 30' or so. Then you would probably be in the $30k to $50k range I would think.

Thanks for the input fellas. The valley is that deep but I don't plan on filling the whole thing and sorry for the confusion, it will be all earth "no" concrete. Soil here is mainly clay. (Dexter area)

Thanks for the input fellas. The valley is that deep but I don't plan on filling the whole thing and sorry for the confusion, it will be all earth "no" concrete. Soil here is mainly clay. (Dexter area)
Remember Also most damns are built on a 3/1 or sometimes 2/1 slope. Even 50 ft deep would require it to be 100ft wide at the bottom. Lots of hydraulic pressure.

My Son and his FIL are building aprox 27 acre pond with an earthen dam. They hope to have it done by next fall. Got some kind of grant money.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I always heard that if a private pond was built and stocked with tax money that the public had a right to fish there...maybe an old wives tale...
That is to to the extent that the landowner still needs to give permission to fish. You need to ask him/her.

I always heard that if a private pond was built and stocked with tax money that the public had a right to fish there...maybe an old wives tale...

Wives tale... having talked with a couple of people that received at least some $$ support, they were encouraged to do so, but not mandated.

Note, I received no such support, the state of Iowa had stopped their free stocking program a few years before I built and the criteria for assistance in building it was such that I was not likely to ever get to the top of the list.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
trying to find anything concrete is miserable online and I'm not quite close enough to bring out some people for estimates. The pond would end up between 1 and 2 acres but the valley i want to dam is DEEP. (I would guess 70-80 feet deep if we went all the way to the top). Anyone have any experience with putting a pond in or an idea of cost? It would all be on my property. Thanks.
I have nothing to contribute but note this thread is what makes HROT great. So much knowledge and experience. Unbiased.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT