ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know why Lyz Lenz was fired?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
I was not a fan, but if the Gazette fired her for being too divisive and opinionated, they are kind of dumb. That has been her schtick her entire career and presumably they hired her to be “edgier” and in an attempt to be more of a “big time” paper. Was supposedly a huge coup for a relatively small paper in Iowa to have her on staff. Guess they changed their mind.

Maybe it was a business decision and she was a worse fit for this market than they guessed

I will miss her weekly article saying how racist Iowans are
I pondered that, but typically reporters/columnists/editors that are let go in a cost-saving measure say they were “laid off” or “let go” - not “fired.”

Reading through her twitter feed, I get the feeling she was actually fired, not cut for savings.

She is a lefty and pandered to that side.....Most of the people who still read/subscribe to the Gazette are righties.....

She is a lefty and pandered to that side.....Most of the people who still read/subscribe to the Gazette are righties.....

Don't think that's it. Gazette leans left anyway, they just had a big to-do with all the state and federal Repubs acting all butthurt, and not sitting for editorial board interviews for endorsements.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Which illustrates my initial post- why did they hire a well-known left-leaning firebrand in the first place then? It’s not like she hides who she is. Here is her very first column for goodness sake!:

Thu., August 08, 2019
I am an angry woman: Meet The Gazette's new columnist, Lyz Lenz
By Lyz Lenz

I am an angry woman. My anger fills my words and opinions. It spills out on the floor of my sentences and floods up my paragraphs. I feel it when I sit quietly on my porch sipping whiskey. Or loud nights out with friends. My anger is my constant and closest friend.

For so many years my anger was considered a disqualifier. A sign of bad judgment or character. After all, we like our women quiet, we like them with hair curled, #blessed, filtered and polished. We like them best when they are the supporting role. Better with babies. Better in the kitchen. Better listening. Better not president. Better than the alternative, that voice in your ear.

I regret to inform you, I am the voice in your ear.

This past week, America saw two more mass shootings within hours of each other in Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso, Texas. And we will see more. Mass shootings have been a way of life for me since I was a teenager in high school watching Columbine unfold, silent in study hall. My children are in school now and are learning to duck under their desks while the teacher bars the doors. It’s a fun game they play: Learn how not to get shot.

After each of these moments of domestic terror, we’ve had a discussion about the sad and isolated angry men who do this. They are disenfranchised, I am told. They are lonely, I am told. The Wall Street Journal ran an op-ed arguing that we need institutions and efforts to enfranchise these men, whose anger is killing us. But what institution can we give them, when literally all government, leadership, and power, is the area where they are still represented.

Angry men have a firm hold of the White House. Angry men roam our Walmarts and our schools. They are in our music. They are red-faced voting in Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. We give them free license in our culture.

Despite the talk of liberal media bias, the actual numbers show that opinion pages in America are dominated by white men. People of color and white women are voices not often represented. It’s a truth reflected across all of media as a recent study showed that the percentage of employees of color in America’s newspapers hasn’t changed in 15 years.
To be fair and to be balanced is to allow all people to be on these pages, angry and searching for the answers to the problems that face our communities.

I am the new columnist here and I hope to listen to you all, to write and to share, and to think critically about the issues that face our city, state and country. But I also will question power, institutions and ideologies. I also will be mad and loud, and it’s not a disqualifier, it’s my greatest asset. Silence, after all, is how the status quo remains.

Don't think that's it. Gazette leans left anyway, they just had a big to-do with all the state and federal Repubs acting all butthurt, and not sitting for editorial board interviews for endorsements.
The Gazette has a tradition of endorsing GOP candidates. The fact no GOP candidate was willing to discuss his/her candidacy says more about the candidate than the Gazette.

I personally liked Lenz; not every column of hers, but she said what was on her mind.

Don't let the door hit the bucked toothed bit*h in the azz...
4ef91294e22d5f56649fababaa7bb3af.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder if she was the reason none of the GOP candidates were willing to meet with the Gazette Editorial Board? Puppet Meeks and Ashley Hinson were especially displeased with Lenz’s treatment of them and other female republicans, at last so I’ve heard from some Iowa City friends.

Lenz will land on her feet. I hope she gets a gig with a more prominent publication.

Reactions: Wendy79
They’ve gone from pretty right, to centrist. I know they have endorsed Bush I, Bill Clinton, W, Romney, McCain, Hillary Clinton, and now Biden. No doubt LC was there in the W/Obama years with such ridiculousness.

The Gazette has a tradition of endorsing GOP candidates. The fact no GOP candidate was willing to discuss his/her candidacy says more about the candidate than the Gazette.

I personally liked Lenz; not every column of hers, but she said what was on her mind.
Wow
The whole group changed years ago.
They are now all loons.
Head dude was sierra club leader who lives in a $130k shithole in Marion. Just the guy i want to read and take advice from.

They’ve gone from pretty right, to centrist. I know they have endorsed Bush I, Bill Clinton, W, Romney, McCain, Hillary Clinton, and now Biden. No doubt LC was there in the W/Obama years with such ridiculousness.
Centrist. Pure gold. Well played.

They hired her to to be hyper-opinionated. That was her job.
My favorite was her saying a kavanaugh protester who bypassed senate security to harass a senator and shouting in his face “put her life on the line” .

Or black and Hispanics who don't know how to get on the internet.

Just repeating the President. Don't jump down my throat.

It bothered her so much that she bought a place about 150 yards from the Cedar Rapids Country Club.
I had family that lived in that area for years. It's pretty diverse actually. It's true that there's a lot of old school money, and it is certainly upper middle class, but still diverse to some extent. It's near Wash, for crying out loud. More diverse than, say, my last neighborhood in NW CR which was more working class. (Legacy of red-lining, I believe).
It’s Cedar Rapids, can you go 150 yards without running into crime?
Haha...

Yes. Plenty of places.

Reactions: mstp1992
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT