ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone listening to SCOTUS oral arguments this morning....

Kavanaugh and Alito will side with Mississippi.

Soto, Hagen, Roberts, Breyer will over turn Mississippi law.

Gorsuch has not asked much. Thomas is wild card. He has asked more questions than usual. I just don't know enough about Barrett.

How many women with unplanned pregnancies dont realize that they are pregnant 15 weeks in? I'm guessing quite a few.

It'll be ruled in favor of Mississippi. Thomas kept asking his cocaine baby question, Kav and Barrett kept talking about the rightegeousness of Plessy, and Alito in no way will vote to affirm Roe.

Not being sexist at all. There have been instances when women didn't realize they were pregnant until they had a child.

So we should allow abortion shortly after birth just to cover for them. *sigh*

Regardless Roe won't be overturned.

Everyone knew Soto was a disaster when nominated. She just proved it today. You see such a mess on the supreme court and you start to see why society is slowly deteriorating.

They couldn't overturn it through congress because you literally can't overturn a supreme court decision through congress.

Remember the original Roe v. Wade decision overturned the laws of all but 4 states!!!

So yeah of course they focused on the court. That's the only way you could advance the issue.
And it should be upheld by the court based on endless precedence but per that Senators takes it won't be because the Court is an illegitimate partisan trash heap.

So we should allow abortion shortly after birth just to cover for them. *sigh*

Regardless Roe won't be overturned.
I would be astounded, absolutely astounded if the court sides with Roe. At this point the best chance for Roe is Gorsuch who wasn't particularly friendly to the arguments against Mississippi.

Everyone knew Soto was a disaster when nominated. She just proved it today. You see such a mess on the supreme court and you start to see why society is slowly deteriorating.
cool story bro

How is the government forcing women to assume the risks and costs of pregnancy anything like Plessy?

It's not directly comparable I'm pointing out that not every precedent is a good one.

As to why it's good, it's because the child as a right to life that overwrites everyone else's rights.

Right to life > bodily autonomy > freedom of religion > property rights

It's not directly comparable I'm pointing out that not every precedent is a good one.

As to why it's good, it's because the child as a right to life that overwrites everyone else's rights.

Unless that right conflicts with someone’s right to own guns….then the 2nd amendment rules….

considering another school shooting yesterday I wish all the GOP would take your position on everything

It'll be ruled in favor of Mississippi. Thomas kept asking his cocaine baby question, Kav and Barrett kept talking about the rightegeousness of Plessy, and Alito in no way will vote to affirm Roe.
They actually brought up Plessy v Ferguson? In what context?

If it's not comparable then it shouldn't be a critical argument towards ruling against Roe.

How do you feel about frozen embryos? Do they have the right to life?

You can, but it it is rare.

Only way to overturn a SCOTUS decision without the SCOTUS is a constitutional amendment which is a near impossible hurdle to clear and takes 75% of the states.

We can't even clear that hurdle to get rid of the electoral college which has proven itself to be ineffective at it's original intentions.

Reactions: franklinman
The same exact context that Hoosier brought up. And it was brought up in nearly every round of questioning by the conservative justices.

The argument from precedent when in the SCOTUS is not a good one because the SCOTUS can overrule it's own precedents and has done so hundreds of times. Plessy is just the most well known.

How do you feel about frozen embryos? Do they have the right to life?

Politically or religiously

Religiously I would tend towards yes

Politically I would say no.

Politically as I have maintained several times my view is that the beginning of life is the first flicker of brain function. Frozen embroyos don't have that.

Why would an unviable fetus' life trump the life of the mother? It was pointed out that the risk factor of death increases some 16 times by carrying a pregnancy to term. What right does the state have to force women to assume this risk?

If it's not comparable then it shouldn't be a critical argument towards ruling against Roe.

It's pointing out that an argument from precedent is a bad one. The supreme court can and has over-ruled itself.

I hope they do with this, but I don't think they will.

Overturning Roe would take a lot of backbone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT