ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone remember back when this was normal?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Saw this in my FB feed and I remember it well. I forgot to remove my shot gun from the rack of my CJ one weekend after a hunting trip with my Papaw and went to school with it. Parked in the Senior parking lot and no one said a word all day (or stole it). Shells were in the glove box.

Could you imagine if that happened today?! :eek: We definitely live in different times.
4gonbc.jpg

I remember one kid in HS that had such a gun rack in his pickup window and sometimes he had a gun or two in it. This was in the parking lot of a large(for Iowa) urban HS in Cedar Rapids. Many of us brought our shotguns to school, normally cased and in the trunk, and then boogied out of the parking lot to go hunting after school.

I remember many times when we would finally decide who was driving that day and then the other guy(s) would go get their shotgun from their car and carry it over to put it in the appointed vehicle. Almost always the guns were cased, but it was clear what they were. No one freaked out, ever.

It also makes you wonder, what has changed? We saw that in the 70s? still. And later based on how rural your area was. I remember a kid getting in trouble for a potato launcher in HS.

Reactions: jasonrann
Saw this in my FB feed and I remember it well. I forgot to remove my shot gun from the rack of my CJ one weekend after a hunting trip with my Papaw and went to school with it. Parked in the Senior parking lot and no one said a word all day (or stole it). Shells were in the glove box.

Could you imagine if that happened today?! :eek: We definitely live in different times.
4gonbc.jpg

Yeah. Chipotle is the new normal.
284413_v1.jpg

Probably might not go down well at most schools but I'm not totally sure I see it as something that is abnormal now.

This was common place, we all had our guns with us at school so we could hit the fields and timber after school. Never had a problem with theft. Not sure I ever took the keys out of my truck back then either.

We had some backward ass hillbillies at my HS, but no guns or gun racks.

My roommate freshman year had a 12 gauge in our room. He was the most depressed kid I've ever known. Once in a while I would hear a loud bang outside and had to look to see if his gun was still in the closet.

We had some backward ass hillbillies at my HS, but no guns or gun racks.

My roommate freshman year had a 12 gauge in our room. He was the most depressed kid I've ever known. Once in a while I would hear a loud bang outside and had to look to see if his gun was still in the closet.
You dont know the Bang of a shotgun?

Reactions: funksouljon
It also makes you wonder, what has changed? We saw that in the 70s? still. And later based on how rural your area was. I remember a kid getting in trouble for a potato launcher in HS.
I think that is a very important question. I fully support gun law reform (not banning) and we have some work to do there, but if we don't address the "what's changed" aspect, I fear it's for not. Mental health is certainly a place to start...we live in a depressed and angry society.

At my high school we had 20 teachers and 100 students who loved to talk about how you used to be allowed to bring guns to school.

I would ride along as a little kid when dad would go hunting in the 70s/early 80s. Never left the house without a cooler of beer in the car, no matter the time. Don't see much of that anymore.

I would ride along as a little kid when dad would go hunting in the 70s/early 80s. Never left the house without a cooler of beer in the car, no matter the time. Don't see much of that anymore.
Best time of my life was hunting with my dad and Papaw...life seemed simple and peaceful in those moments. We took our Willys Jeep and the manifold was shaped perfectly for heating up a small can of pork n beans.

Best time of my life was hunting with my dad and Papaw...life seemed simple and peaceful in those moments. We took our Willys Jeep and the manifold was shaped perfectly for heating up a small can of pork n beans.

Great stuff!

My favorite times were going with dad to grandpa's farm to get some work done. I knew at the end of that day there would be fried chicken, mashed potatoes and sweet corn if it was in season. The absolute best.

Not sure if I would, now. At age 18 I'm sure I would not have known.
To each thier own but I would encourage you to get into the shooting sports. If you are nor comfortable hunting I totally get it but Clay pigeon shooting is a great way to keep your hand eye and spatial distancing in good order. Much like joining a golf league joining a sporting range is a great way to meet new people also.

I will think about hunting trips with my "dad" and uncle for the rest of my life. Its been really cool as of.late to be able to be the one that helps them get in the field more these days to pay back all those times they took me out as a kid.

I am 42, when I took hunters safety as a child, we learned it was illegal to do that in Iowa. I’m not sure when that would have been normal or legal around here. Probably long long before the 3 point line in basketball; back before we started electing actors as presidents.

I will think about hunting trips with my "dad" and uncle for the rest of my life. Its been really cool as of.late to be able to be the one that helps them get in the field more these days to pay back all those times they took me out as a kid.

When I got into my 20's, I was so incredibly fortunate to go hunting with my dad and four of his best friends pretty regularly. The stories, the beers, the sandwiches, the ball busting was just absolutely classic. It is times like that I really miss since my dad passed in 2014. Good people, simple fun.

I am 42, when I took hunters safety as a child, we learned it was illegal to do that in Iowa. I’m not sure when that would have been normal or legal around here. Probably long long before the 3 point line in basketball; back before we started electing actors as presidents.
You were 2-3 y/o when Reagan was elected....swing and a fvcking miss bud.

When I got into my 20's, I was so incredibly fortunate to go hunting with my dad and four of his best friends pretty regularly. The stories, the beers, the sandwiches, the ball busting was just absolutely classic. It is times like that I really miss since my dad passed in 2014. Good people, simple fun.
You learn to appreciate a sunrise, watching the dog work, and shitty lunches that taste amazing in those times. Real shit.

You learn to appreciate a sunrise, watching the dog work, and shitty lunches that taste amazing in those times. Real shit.

100% correct. I will never forget the day that one of the guys brought braunshweiger and grape jelly sandwiches. Every one of was like "WTF, man?!" But we ate them and chased bites with cold Keystone Light and bad whiskey. It just became another of the many stories.

100% correct. I will never forget the day that one of the guys brought braunshweiger and grape jelly sandwiches. Every one of was like "WTF, man?!" But we ate them and chased bites with cold Keystone Light and bad whiskey. It just became another of the many stories.
When I was a kid I was notorious for passing out in the truck on the way home from pheasant hunting. 20 decades later my uncle and "dad" still give me shit about that. Over time you learn that guys that sat at home don't have those types of stories/relationships.

I love me some braunschweiger but jelly?!?

When I was a kid I was notorious for passing out in the truck on the way home from pheasant hunting. 20 decades later my uncle and "dad" still give me shit about that. Over time you learn that guys that sat at home don't have those types of stories/relationships.

I love me some braunschweiger but jelly?!?

I am about as German as they come, but I never acquired the taste for braunschweiger. Of course, that was in my youth. After having traveled all over Asia and eaten just about everything, it would probably be something I'd really like now.

Didn't have a gun rack in my truck, but forgot my gun in there a few times and had it on schools grounds. One time the principle let me put it in my locker (in the case of course) so it wouldn't get stolen. This was 17 years ago in a town of 1000. Wouldnt fly today at all. A kid mentioned he had a gun in his car and the cops came to school.

Love the good stories being shared here...great to see hunting wasn't always about the meat. For me it was really one of the few places I could bond with my dad (the woods and under a Jeep).
My "dad" is really my step dad and hunting/shooting was the first way he and I bonded. I fvcking hated him for "replacing" my dad in the beginning but when he started showing that he trusted me to take part in all that and his goal wasn't to replace we actually started to grow. Ive learned way more about life while in the field than just how to be a safe hunter.

You still see the OP's picture in South Dakota. High school kids still go road hunting after school here. The pheasant opener is a state holiday.

I remember guys showing up to school in camo, showering in the locker room quick before class, and the putting it back on after school and heading back out. The shotguns were always in the trunk. I also had a friend that had been target shooting on the weekend and got to school Monday to realize his 9mm was still in his backpack. He kept that pretty well on the down low all day.

Reactions: alaskanseminole

I graduated HS in 1981 and it was something that was present then. So, late 70's, early 80's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT