ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone visited Roatan?

SiouxCityHawkFan

HR All-American
Apr 24, 2003
We are visiting Roatan for a week in March. Rented a little Airbnb right on Half Moon Bay in West End. 2.5-3 of the days we are going to attempt getting scuba certified leaving us 4 or so more days. Probably try deep sea fishing one other day and maybe hire a local for a guided trip around the island. Anyone who has been there have some tips?

We are visiting Roatan for a week in March. Rented a little Airbnb right on Half Moon Bay in West End. 2.5-3 of the days we are going to attempt getting scuba certified leaving us 4 or so more days. Probably try deep sea fishing one other day and maybe hire a local for a guided trip around the island. Anyone who has been there have some tips?
I think @ThorneStockton but I could be confusing posters.

Reactions: ThorneStockton

My wife & I used to own a place on Roatan, in the Sandy Bay area; love it down there, though we haven't been much lately. Think our last trip down was 5 or so years ago.

West End (the town built around Half MoonBay) is a cool little community; lots of young Euro backpackers hang out there. There are a bunch of waterside bars & restaurants; they tend to change hands often as folks come & go from the island.
I think the Argentinian Grill is still there; it's always been quite good. The restaurant at Half Moon Resort is probably the most scenic; through the years it's been a little inconsistent but the seafood is usually quite good & obviously very fresh. If Rudy's is still around, his breakfast (banana pancakes) are top notch.

Reactions: SiouxCityHawkFan
Following.... Stopping there on a cruise ship in March. So far just plan on visiting Tabyana Beach down on West Bay, but looking for other options.

As far as getting certified, I'd at least consider doing some of the bookwork in advance at a local dive shop (assuming you have one near you); you can typically get some of it out of the way at home, so you aren't spending vacation time reading & sitting in a class listening to a lecture.

Reactions: BelemNole
Following.... Stopping there on a cruise ship in March. So far just plan on visiting Tabyana Beach down on West Bay, but looking for other options.

Tabyana is a beautiful beach, but does get pretty crowded on days when a couple of ships are in port. I'd at least consider doing an island tour - the whole island is quite beautiful.

I've been three times each for about 7-10 days in 2018, 2019 and 2022. Planning to go again this year for a honeymoon (no pics).

You've selected a great location. West End is awesome, it doesn't have the white sand/blue water or big "resorts" that West Bay has, but it feels more "local". It's obviously still tourism based, and you won't be as bothered by the day trippers when cruise ships are in town.

As for your plan regarding SCUBA certification. I would look into seeing if you can do your classwork/skills at home online and at a pool local to you. That would leave only the four checkout dives to do with a dive shop on the island, saving you a lot of time.

You can certainly do the whole course on the island, but I think you'll enjoy your time a lot more if you come already nearly certified, with only your check out dives to do.

I've only dove with West End Divers, great shop. But for the most part it's a competitive enough market that most all of the dive shops will be just fine.

There's not much going on for local Honduran food, but do try a baleada, basically tortilla and refried beans.

- Sundowners is a popular bar with great views, ok food.

- Sandy Buns is a fantastic baskery/bbq/burgers sandwiches.

- Creoles Rotisserie Chicken is fantastic - you guessed it - rotisserie chickein.

- Gingers also has great views and solid food.

- Fancy/Luxury dining: Luna Muna at Igabari hotel. You can take a water taxi from West End.

Will post more as I think of things.

I absolutely loved Roatan. Unfortunately it looks like my favorite restaurant Temporary Cal’s Cantina has closed last year due to the pandemic and has not reopened. That’s a huge loss because not only was it amazing fresh local seafood at a cheap price but the views were amazing. Now all I can say is make sure you hike Mt Carambola and pick up A LOT of local vanilla. The local vanilla extract is miles better than anything I’ve found in America.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I absolutely loved Roatan. Unfortunately it looks like my favorite restaurant Temporary Cal’s Cantina has closed last year due to the pandemic and has not reopened. That’s a huge loss because not only was it amazing fresh local seafood at a cheap price but the views were amazing. Now all I can say is make sure you hike Mt Carambola and pick up A LOT of local vanilla. The local vanilla extract is miles better than anything I’ve found in America.

Yeah I'd heard that Cal's closed; from what I was told he moved to the mainland, living in the coastal city La Ceiba.

As far as getting certified, I'd at least consider doing some of the bookwork in advance at a local dive shop (assuming you have one near you); you can typically get some of it out of the way at home, so you aren't spending vacation time reading & sitting in a class listening to a lecture.
Doing exactly that. 10 hours e learning before we go. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: SeaPA
I've been three times each for about 7-10 days in 2018, 2019 and 2022. Planning to go again this year for a honeymoon (no pics).

You've selected a great location. West End is awesome, it doesn't have the white sand/blue water or big "resorts" that West Bay has, but it feels more "local". It's obviously still tourism based, and you won't be as bothered by the day trippers when cruise ships are in town.

As for your plan regarding SCUBA certification. I would look into seeing if you can do your classwork/skills at home online and at a pool local to you. That would leave only the four checkout dives to do with a dive shop on the island, saving you a lot of time.

You can certainly do the whole course on the island, but I think you'll enjoy your time a lot more if you come already nearly certified, with only your check out dives to do.

I've only dove with West End Divers, great shop. But for the most part it's a competitive enough market that most all of the dive shops will be just fine.

There's not much going on for local Honduran food, but do try a baleada, basically tortilla and refried beans.

- Sundowners is a popular bar with great views, ok food.

- Sandy Buns is a fantastic baskery/bbq/burgers sandwiches.

- Creoles Rotisserie Chicken is fantastic - you guessed it - rotisserie chickein.

- Gingers also has great views and solid food.

- Fancy/Luxury dining: Luna Muna at Igabari hotel. You can take a water taxi from West End.

Will post more as I think of things.
Thanks for the advice. We chose Roatan Divers. They are right next door to where we are staying. We are staying behind some gelatto shop looking out onto the bay.

One food suggestion - as you stroll around, find a place that cooks lionfish. It has become popular pan-fried, in fish tacos, and even as sushi or sashimi. It is very tasty - and as it's a non-native, invasive, highly-destructive species, it's good for the reef environment to eat it.

You can rent all of the equipment - but if you haven't already - consider buying/bringing your own mask. Doesn't take up much room and is one of those "personal" pieces of equipment that is nice to have sorted out.

You can rent all of the equipment - but if you haven't already - consider buying/bringing your own mask. Doesn't take up much room and is one of those "personal" pieces of equipment that is nice to have sorted out.
I've got one with prescription lenses - I take it anywhere with water.
They can be bought on Amazon and are fairly inexpensive.
No more contacts for me. My ski goggles have an insert as well.

I've got one with prescription lenses - I take it anywhere with water.
They can be bought on Amazon and are fairly inexpensive.
No more contacts for me. My ski goggles have an insert as well.
Wow I had not idea such things existed. Duly noted if we get certified for SCUBA Or hell, even snorkeling. Seems like something I would really enjoy...

Reactions: BelemNole
Yeah I'd heard that Cal's closed; from what I was told he moved to the mainland, living in the coastal city La Ceiba.
Wow. I didn't know Cal's had closed. That sucks. One thing we enjoyed while we were there was getting a driver to take us around. We went places most tourists don't. We had lunch one day at a little place where all the drivers ate. A truly local place with truly local food.

Wow I had not idea such things existed. Duly noted if we get certified for SCUBA Or hell, even snorkeling. Seems like something I would really enjoy...
I don't see the product I bought on amazon anymore but I believe this was the brand:

We were there on a cruise stop in May 2019. It initially sounded dumb to me, but the wife insisted on seeing and holding a sloth. Went to Daniel Johnson’s Sloth and Monkey refuge (or something like that). I was surprised. Very cool place. Plenty of monkeys too that they rescue from former pet owners.

We were there on a cruise stop in May 2019. It initially sounded dumb to me, but the wife insisted on seeing and holding a sloth. Went to Daniel Johnson’s Sloth and Monkey refuge (or something like that). I was surprised. Very cool place. Plenty of monkeys too that they rescue from former pet owners.
Thanks. I've seen those listed and heard they are pretty good. (and my wife seems interested in petting a monkey for whatever reason) I'm pretty sloth-like myself, so would fit right in.

excited done with finals GIF

My wife & I used to own a place on Roatan, in the Sandy Bay area; love it down there, though we haven't been much lately. Think our last trip down was 5 or so years ago.

West End (the town built around Half MoonBay) is a cool little community; lots of young Euro backpackers hang out there. There are a bunch of waterside bars & restaurants; they tend to change hands often as folks come & go from the island.
I think the Argentinian Grill is still there; it's always been quite good. The restaurant at Half Moon Resort is probably the most scenic; through the years it's been a little inconsistent but the seafood is usually quite good & obviously very fresh. If Rudy's is still around, his breakfast (banana pancakes) are top notch.
SeaPA, we are fine taking US Dolars correct? I'm assuming most of the businesses also take credit cards. Can I get more cash there if needed?

USD is certainly accepted. Credit cards are not widely accepted at bars/restaurants at least in West End. Some places will allow you to pay on paypal. I couldn't say about dive shops, but I'd guess most all accept credit card while perhaps offering a cash discount.

There's a useful ATM at a gas station/market a short walk up the hill from the roundabout by Sundowners. It dispenses lempira. I think there's another one on the road in West End, have heard security concerns about it. Who knows.

Tabyana is a beautiful beach, but does get pretty crowded on days when a couple of ships are in port. I'd at least consider doing an island tour - the whole island is quite beautiful.
Yes, it is nice. We were there several years ago while on a cruise. The snorkeling was pretty good. They have a skyride you can take to the beach instead of walking.

SeaPA, we are fine taking US Dolars correct? I'm assuming most of the businesses also take credit cards. Can I get more cash there if needed?

US dollars will be accepted everywhere on the island; most will use something close to the true exchange rate but will almost certainly round in their favor (i.e. if the rate at a bank is 24.25, the merchant will likely round down to 24 to make the math, and counting change, easier). Sometimes you'll get change in Lempira, sometimes in dollars, sometimes (esp at small places) it might depend on what they have on hand at the time, you might get some of each. Also, some of the small shops & restaurants only keep a limited amount of change on hand. Due to these issues, I always brought mostly smaller bills so I wasn't buying a $6 item with a $50 & getting clobbered on the exchange rate (and emptying the store's till).
Pretty much all of the hotels, larger restaurants, and larger stores - as well as the dive shops - will take credit cards (though some don't take AMEX). Many will charge an additional fee (at a minimum enough to cover the fees they get charged by their bank & the merchant processing fee).

We did a zipline excursion during a cruise stop in Roatan. Beautiful place.

Yes, it is nice. We were there several years ago while on a cruise. The snorkeling was pretty good. They have a skyride you can take to the beach instead of walking.

Are you talking about the one right by the cruise dock, or did they build another skyride on another part of the island?

I have some great old pics, from the early 90s, when there was virtually nothing on West Bay Beach; at one end (to the left if you were in the water facing the beach) there were two rental cabins & a small restaurant; in the middle a private residence, at the other end another small house.
An old guy used to come down to the beach, carrying a cooler of beer & soda in a wheelbarrow, along with snacks. That was it. It was popular with the young Euro backpacker crowd - because it was isolated the chicks were comfortable going topless (so I liked it there too - my wife, not as much)

ADVERTISEMENT