ADVERTISEMENT

AOC with strong endorsement of the President

If moderate Republicans could just govern in good faith without getting destroyed by their own party then AOC wouldn't matter. It's nice to see some of them apparently participating in gun control talks, although a lot still needs to happen there. Most Democrats would far prefer dealing with Republican moderates than the far left.

Oh, I agree....

Kind of sucks when your own party is speaking the quiet part out loud though.
I disagree, but then I don’t like the party loyalty bullshit. We, as American citizens, should (IMO) only think of party affiliation as a kind of dispassionate starting point, if even that, and should more so follow policy ideas comparatively to one another but also comparatively — to whatever extent — to historical conditions that might inform the veracity of varying ideas.

We know that things tend to be cyclical, and our current challenges certainly are not without similar precedent.

Like her or not, I think AOC gets this. Judging by the way she conducts herself in hearings, I am pretty sure she gets it.

Good, we new blood on every side.

I never had expectations of Biden running for a 2nd term. He was the “get Trump out” bridge to whatever comes after.

We can always hope that both parties somehow adopt the strategy that their candidates should be younger, less incontinent or alzheimer-ey, and not batshit crazy.

I'd love to be able to vote based on who I thought was better for the country, rather than just less bad, and having to seriously consider who the VP candidate is for if/when the president dies of old age while in office.

If moderate Republicans could just govern in good faith without getting destroyed by their own party then AOC wouldn't matter. It's nice to see some of them apparently participating in gun control talks, although a lot still needs to happen there. Most Democrats would far prefer dealing with Republican moderates than the far left.
Don’t disagree-breathe deep.
If what you say is accurate then those Dems should start speaking up - from the middle.

We can always hope that both parties somehow adopt the strategy that their candidates should be younger, less incontinent or alzheimer-ey, and not batshit crazy.

I'd love to be able to vote based on who I thought was better for the country, rather than just less bad, and having to seriously consider who the VP candidate is for if/when the president dies of old age while in office.

Amen!

Joes status as a "lame duck" President just 1.5 yrs into his presidency made the VP pick maybe the most important decision of his presidency....and he botched it completely.

It'd be nice if we had an ace in the bullpen....

Is this supposed to surprise anyone? It's no secret that AOC supports progressive candidates over mainstream establishment Dems like Biden. She supported him in the general election, but only after all her preferred primary candidates dropped out and only then because the alternative was Trump.

I understand her point of view and it makes sense.

The question is if not Biden, then who’s the candidate? I can’t see any scenario that is favorable to the Democrats in 2024. Maybe Trump running, but I don’t want to take the chance that he wins.
I am confidant this time around the dems will come up with a good pick. The problem will be they absolutely ****ing suck at the campaigning/messaging part the candidate must have to get elected.

Joes status as a "lame duck" President just 1.5 yrs into his presidency made the VP pick maybe the most important decision of his presidency....and he botched it completely.

I definitely voted for Joe because he was not Trump, but it would've been preferable for the VP candidate to be someone you wanted to actually have the president's job if necessary, rather than someone they've since had to stash far away from where she can do any damage.

I definitely voted for Joe because he was not Trump, but it would've been preferable for the VP candidate to be someone you wanted to actually have the president's job if necessary, rather than someone they've since had to stash far away from where she can do any damage.
Amy Klobuchar was my preferred pick. She'd be a dynamite spokesperson for the administration and did better than KH in the primaries...

Amy Klobuchar was my preferred pick. She'd be a dynamite spokesperson for the administration and did better than KH in the primaries...
I could probably vote for Klobuchar, but I don't think she has much chance of winning the Dem nomination. Whether fair or not, progressives are going to continue to associate her with Derek Chauvin.

I am confidant this time around the dems will come up with a good pick. The problem will be they absolutely ****ing suck at the campaigning/messaging part the candidate must have to get elected.
I think they could absolutely nominate a good candidate. But how do you deal with the blow up after dumping Harris?

Reactions: goldmom
CotrezDancingSite_848x480_1419903555590.jpg

....or not

Meh. She got some attention for saying this, and she bumped up her brand a little. It isn't like she and Biden were ever ideologically aligned. She has no future as a Dem if she knee caps him in 2024 should he run.

Don’t disagree-breathe deep.
If what you say is accurate then those Dems should start speaking up - from the middle.
They have. How many bills did Republicans "negotiate" on during Obama's term only to vote against the bill when it came to a vote. Sometimes against their own bills the minute Obama showed support for it. How many times did Republicans and Democrats have a deal only to have right wing media complain about it and then Trump suddenly withdrawing support. How many times did Republican moderates lose a primary because they worked with Democrats on something?

I get that it isn't 100% and they actually do agree on small things on a daily basis, but the big ideas to solve big problems, you can probably count on one hand the number of times that's happened in the last 15 years. I'm sure you can find some where Democrats blew the legislation apart (although I can't think of any right now), but in general, when Democrats want to do something they can rely on zero support from Republicans. So they have to look elsewhere to get votes which changes the legislation. Usually to the point that Manchin wants nothing to do with it so they don't get anything done regardless.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

You don't seem to be aware that if Biden doesn't run in 2024 then there we be a whole new primary/nominating process, just like the one in 20 where Kamala never had a chance. You keep insinuating that just because she is VP now she is next in line to be the dem nominee and that just is not the case. Seems like wishful thinking on your part

Meh. She got some attention for saying this, and she bumped up her brand a little. It isn't like she and Biden were ever ideologically aligned. She has no future as a Dem if she knee caps him in 2024 should he run.
Yes she does. She’s a true Dem.

Reactions: millah_22
I understand her point of view and it makes sense.

The question is if not Biden, then who’s the candidate? I can’t see any scenario that is favorable to the Democrats in 2024. Maybe Trump running, but I don’t want to take the chance that he wins.
And herein lies the problem. In the past, I easily voted third party (Gary Johnson in 2016). In 2020 I voted for Biden and in 2024, if Trump or anyone of his ilk is the GOP candidate, I'll vote for the Democrat whether it's Biden or anyone else. There's no incentive to run a quality, broadly governing candidate.

Reactions: artradley
You don't seem to be aware that if Biden doesn't run in 2024 then there we be a whole new primary/nominating process, just like the one in 20 where Kamala never had a chance. You keep insinuating that just because she is VP now she is next in line to be the dem nominee and that just is not the case. Seems like wishful thinking on your part
You don't think having your strongest candidate as VP would be a better situation?

I realize there will primary/nominating process and Harris isn't going to be the nominee.....

It's a tough spot when your primary process is basically going to be all about how you'd do things differently than the current administration which is from your own party....

ADVERTISEMENT