ADVERTISEMENT

AP top 25

A team that finished with 10 wins last year couldn't crack the pre-season top 25? Disrespectful.
Yeah, it kinda is. 10 wins, division champs, returning QB, and highly rated defense usually translates into preseason Top 25. But it really doesn’t matter. We benefited last year from ISU and Indiana being wildly over ranked in the preseason polls.
The games matter every week. The polls don’t matter until the end.

Reactions: unclesammy
Yeah, it kinda is. 10 wins, division champs, returning QB, and highly rated defense usually translates into preseason Top 25. But it really doesn’t matter. We benefited last year from ISU and Indiana being wildly over ranked in the preseason polls.
Getting blown out by Michigan in the CCG did huge damage to Iowa's rep and carried over to this poll. I bet if we would have not made the CCG, same record, same stats, and not been subjected to that blowout (trade us out for Wisconsin) then Iowa would be ranked where Wisconsin is and the Badgers would be unranked.

Getting blown out by Michigan in the CCG did huge damage to Iowa's rep and carried over to this poll. I bet if we would have not made the CCG, same record, same stats, and not been subjected to that blowout (trade us out for Wisconsin) then Iowa would be ranked where Wisconsin is and the Badgers would be unranked.

Possibly, but I see Petras as a huge anchor on Iowa's perceived upside this year ...a senior 2-yr starter who hasn't shown much progression. Sure, the team won the division and made the CCG last year, but he is not viewed as "taking us there" ...know what I mean?

Factor in the bowl loss and closing out with a 2-game losing streak and I totally see why Iowa is a borderline T25 heading into the season.

My biggest gripe is that writers in MN and WI all decided the Hawkeyes are not worth a T25 vote...they should know better. MI writer I understand due to how UM handled us in the CCG.

I do believe that Iowa will make a significant jump in production this year but that is based on an expected improved running attack more than anything. I hope the next excellent FG kicker is on the roster and ready to go.
I believe you're correct, but they will have to do it against stacked defenses all year unless, BF can call enough plays, and Petras can execute them, to get them to back off.

Unfortunately in this case, voters probably considered this a big negative.

Agree with your bottom line; polls now don't matter.

I still don’t understand the love for Wisconsin but that’s why we play the games.
same answer as last year- iowa, not to mention rest of the west, still hasn't solved their D and their OL is thicc as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT