ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently the only thing that can survive inflation is AriZona Iced Tea

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Gas is nearly six bucks a gallon. Groceries are 8% higher than last year. Dollar stores: now dollar-and-a-quarter stores.

But a giant, 23-ounce can of AriZona iced tea still costs 99 cents, the same price it has been since it hit the market 30 years ago. Today, that's cheaper than most bottled water, 20-ounce sodas, iced teas and canned coffees on the market. If you could fill your car up with cans of AriZona Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey, it would be cheaper than L.A. gas by nearly 40 cents a gallon.
Click to shrink...
How does AriZona pull this off while everything else goes up? The price of aluminum has doubled in the last 18 months. The price of high fructose corn syrup has tripled since 2000. Gas prices are pumping up delivery costs. One 1992 dollar, adjusted for inflation, is worth two 2022 dollars. But the 99-cent Big AZ Can, as the company calls it, persists.

The short answer: the company is making less money. The big cans are still profitable, but for the moment, they're much less so than a few years ago.
Click to shrink...
Don Vultaggio, the 70-year-old, 6-foot-8 founder and chairman of the company, is choosing to take a haircut in order to keep the price flat and cans moving.

"I'm committed to that 99 cent price — when things go against you, you tighten your belt," Vultaggio said on a Zoom call in early April from his headquarters on Long Island, N.Y. Even though his costs are higher, "I don't want to do what the bread guys and the gas guys and everybody else are doing," Vultaggio said. "Consumers don't need another price increase from a guy like me."
Click to shrink...
He has the power to make a call like that because AriZona is one of the few independent private companies remaining in the consolidated world of nonalcoholic packaged beverages, a market dominated by PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, and Keurig Dr Pepper, which owns Snapple.

Reactions: TheCainer
Damn, they must have been raking it in for decades if it's still profitable at that price point. Interesting story, thanks for posting op.

Three 20 ounce Diet Dr. Peppers for $3.33 at every gas station I've been in for the last 10 years.

Definitely a tear in the space/time continuum.

Even Einstein would be puzzled.
They had no idea how right they were when they made Back To The Future Part II.

Cubs winning the World Series (okay, they were a year off, but still it's an impressive prediction). And Biff running Hill Valley in an alternate 1985 is eerily similar to the environment we're seeing today - corrupt, bleak and sooo much anger and violence.

My guess is they canned everything 5 years go with the price on it

Mexican coke/pepsi/7-up/Sprite hasn't changed price in at least 20 years. It's been 4/$5 for as long as I can remember

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT