ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently, The Voice is racist now

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
  • There are 330 mil Americans.
  • 13.6% are Black Americans.
  • If a show's demographic viewership is primarily white and furthermore prefers a particular genre of music, then how is it racist to vote for a genre you prefer?
Wouldn't racism be if minority performers were not allowed to compete in the show. That clearly isn't the case here. My cousin, Dave Fenley, was on season 15 of the Voice. I prefer country and rock (and he's family), so I voted for him. There were other strong minority singers on the show, but didn't sing the type of music I typically listen to, so I didn't vote for them. That doesn't equate to racism.

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/

noun
1. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

2. The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

You don’t think putting Blake Shelton and Carson Daly on the same show is a clear attempt to turn off black viewers?

What would convince you? Do they need to add Jimmy Fallon?

It’s not racism to prefer country music, but there is something to the complaint. The Bryce leatherwood guy that keeps skating every vote is clearly the least talented of the final 8 and the eye Candy white kisd isn’t far behind.

No way in God’s green early that Justin and Omar should have had to sing for their save last night. No way.

From a game theory perspective that, the flaw in these shows is that they ask people to vote for their favorite. This causes similar contestants to split the vote, allowing less talented contestants to move ahead of them.

Voting should be for the contestants who viewers think should be eliminated. Vote for your LEAST favorite contestant. This would result in a more accurate result in terms of the most talented people moving forward.

• There are 330 mil Americans.
  • 13.6% are Black Americans.
  • If a show's demographic viewership is primarily white and furthermore prefers a particular genre of music, then how is it racist to vote for a genre you prefer?
Wouldn't racism be if minority performers were not allowed to compete in the show. That clearly isn't the case here. My cousin, Dave Fenley, was on season 15 of the Voice. I prefer country and rock (and he's family), so I voted for him. There were other strong minority singers on the show, but didn't sing the type of music I typically listen to, so I didn't vote for them. That doesn't equate to racism.

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/

noun
1. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

2. The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

I would say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the beholder didn't like the beauty of the entertainment provided by those eliminated. I haven't watched a single episode this season, but it is not uncommon for the best singers to not make it to the finale or win. Those thinking it is racist can take comfort that the voice hasn't really produced any stars, so it is irrelevant. I don't think any of these shows have produced real talent since Jennifer Hudson and Carrie Underwood, who are legitimate superstars. Just googled the subject and this writer agrees:

The Voice is a competition designed to crown the best voice. I interpret that as quality of voice: range, pitch/in tune, clarity of tone, breath support, sense of rhythm, volume control, phrasing, emotional connection, etc. Some of these are subjective. IMHO, Bryce Leatherwood has a very small vocal range. The last song he sang to be voted to the finals was certainly his best performance. But if you listen to the Whitney Houston duet he did with Morgan, she made him sound like a 5th grader. Brayden Lape has a pretty smile. That's about it. Bodie has an eclectic voice, and I think deserved to make the finals. Omar easily has the "best" voice of any of the last 8. He totally knocks it out of the park. Kim Cruse would be my # 2. Parijita and Morgan are tied for # 3 in my mind.
Bryce and Brayden: I have no idea how their voice qualified them to move to the finals. They both have subpar voices compared to Omar, Morgan, Kim, and Parijita, or even Jesse.
I was shocked by the 4 chosen for the finals. Unless you cannot discern the difference between black/brown and white, it would be hard to not wonder what part race played in the voting, IMO.

Reactions: Crafty Beaver
Ya, the other day there was post that daylight savings time was racist, I didn't even know what race DST was.:confused:

The Voice is a competition designed to crown the best voice. I interpret that as quality of voice: range, pitch/in tune, clarity of tone, breath support, sense of rhythm, volume control, phrasing, emotional connection, etc. Some of these are subjective. IMHO, Bryce Leatherwood has a very small vocal range. The last song he sang to be voted to the finals was certainly his best performance. But if you listen to the Whitney Houston duet he did with Morgan, she made him sound like a 5th grader. Brayden Lape has a pretty smile. That's about it. Bodie has an eclectic voice, and I think deserved to make the finals. Omar easily has the "best" voice of any of the last 8. He totally knocks it out of the park. Kim Cruse would be my # 2. Parijita and Morgan are tied for # 3 in my mind.
Bryce and Brayden: I have no idea how their voice qualified them to move to the finals. They both have subpar voices compared to Omar, Morgan, Kim, and Parijita, or even Jesse.
I was shocked by the 4 chosen for the finals. Unless you cannot discern the difference between black/brown and white, it would be hard to not wonder what part race played in the voting, IMO.

I guess we know who is watching the voice.

Evidently I tune out. Possibly because there are so many of those shit-eating shows that all seem like the same crap.
Man give me a hit of what you're having when you tune out! 😃 I've never watched any of the CSI shows, or fire country, or PD/FD shows, but damn do they advertise the hell out of them.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I was right there with you up until the last sentence.

You have a demographic of people voting for the genre of music they like. I don’t like it. It’s not producing the most talented vocalists. But it’s not racism.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Man give me a hit of what you're having when you tune out! 😃 I've never watched any of the CSI shows, or fire country, or PD/FD shows, but damn do they advertise the hell out of them.

Entertainment is a matter of taste and some of the shows you mentioned are pretty solid IMO. Again, it's strictly opinion and what makes you happy in your recliner as you age is what matters.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I was right there with you up until the last sentence.

You have a demographic of people voting for the genre of music they like. I don’t like it. It’s not producing the most talented vocalists. But it’s not racism.
I appreciate where you are coming from, and I agree that the show is supposed to identify the best voice, not the most favorite genre of music. Blind auditions were implemented in many major symphony orchestra musical hirings in the 1970's. At that time, about 6% of the musicians were women. The results were dramatic. Today women make up a third of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and they are half of the New York Symphony. It's quite hard to argue that bias had not played a part in the hirings previously. If I was running The Voice, I would have the final 8 sing the same song in a blind audition, and then let the chips fall where they may. In the final, the singers choose their own song, but still do it as a blind audition. I believe the winner would better represent the "best voice" in the field. JMO

Current level of journalism:

"Racist Satanic Pedophile Cult is Eating Your Trans Children"

- Says multiple Twitter Users

This will make the right-wing happy, right? Fewer trans children.

And isn't it offensive calling satanic pedophiles racists?

• Haha
Reactions: FranMcNepotism
Season 22 and I'm now just hearing about it. FWIW, I do not live in a cave.
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT