ADVERTISEMENT

Appears Shapiro is going to Cornell

No idea. Never bothered to look into it. Dial up has always been solid for me.
May be solid, but no speed demon either. I never had a problem with wifi when I visit CR, and the internet speeds seem okay there, but some of the rural areas are far slower. Dial-up's not a problem with boards like this, but definitely an issue with streaming sometimes. Many of the folks get cable, so streaming isn't as much of an issue for them either.

Sheesh. How tough could it be to just upgrade the tubes?
I think that it's about the small chance of recovering the costs of laying fiber in sparsely-populated areas. I would think that all the cities and most towns in Iowa have this covered by now. Some states made this a priority, or have business interests (mining, petroleum, etc.) that make this priority.

Reactions: el dub
I think that it's about the small chance of recovering the costs of laying fiber in sparsely-populated areas. I would think that all the cities and most towns in Iowa have this covered by now. Some states made this a priority, or have business interests (mining, petroleum, etc.) that make this priority.
On the bright side, isn’t it possible that if they wait long enough, fiber could become a 20th century solution to a 21st century problem?

On the bright side, isn’t it possible that if they wait long enough, fiber could become a 20th century solution to a 21st century problem?
Very good point, dub. Greg Brown has a song about Boomtowns, and it fits. or will fit at some point.

• Haha
Catch 22. Fiber definitely helps speed things through the tubes, but also means less time to browse wrestling news.

• Haha
Very good point, dub. Greg Brown has a song about Boomtowns, and it fits. or will fit at some point.
So, I peeped the lyrics in question and fail to make any meaningful connection with Iowa’s lack of fiber optics.

The joke was that one day, Iowa might actually be a front runner for latest technology by NOT embracing current technology due to high cost associated with providing services to sparsely populated areas.

Unless you are thinking there might be a boomtown future out on the edge of the prairie some day?

Help a fella out here, eh?

Catch 22. Fiber definitely helps speed things through the tubes, but also means less time to browse wrestling news.
Huh? Is this some kind of test? Will there now be questions concerning trains of information leaving my Comadore and running into other trains of information coming from through the earth from China?

I have no info on that, but i think we have a couple guys already on the roster that many have kinda given up on too soon. I am, and always will be, a Rathjen guy. Get the young man fully healthy and cranking, put him on full feed, lift like a madman and we have something really, really nice.
I think we call it the “Kem Dawg” Plan?

Reactions: Gobblin
only on the wrestling board can a thread about a recruit turn into a discusion about internet speed. Its funny but is also F annoying. every single thread gets hi jacked. jfc.

Reactions: redghost1974
Stevens is the reason Pebble isn't being mined yet. Asshole-stevens not you

Last edited:
only on the wrestling board can a thread about a recruit turn into a discusion about internet speed. Its funny but is also F annoying. every single thread gets hi jacked. jfc.
It’s the off season and there’s only so much we can say about a kid who committed to another school. Btw, you’re the only one coming in and raining on this Kumbua party.

Reactions: vhsalum
Shapiro did an interview on Rokfin with Willie, he mentions the other schools he was interested in other than Cornell. Primarily Nebraska, then mentions Penn State, Ohio State, and Oklahoma State. Does not sound like anyone was actually seriously considered other than Cornell, though.

I HATE when our threads get hijacked due to inadequate internet speed. But as long as messages continue to appear I take comfort in knowing the tubes are big enough to handle the information overload.

When the threads go silent, that's when I worry we've lost connectivity.

You sound frustrated. Have you considered an upgrade?

Shapiro did an interview on Rokfin with Willie, he mentions the other schools he was interested in other than Cornell. Primarily Nebraska, then mentions Penn State, Ohio State, and Oklahoma State. Does not sound like anyone was actually seriously considered other than Cornell, though.
So, we didn’t even make the top five schools of choice?

• Haha
Reactions: pumpdog20
I did not hear Iowa mentioned in the interview
I’d like to learn the psychology behind that. How could Iowa not make the top five of a kid they really wanted?

I’m curious how the top five schools offers compared to Iowa’s?

So, we didn’t even make the top five schools of choice?
not-great-bob.gif

Reactions: CesspoolHawk
I’d like to learn the psychology behind that. How could Iowa not make the top five of a kid they really wanted?

I’m curious how the top five schools offers compared to Iowa’s?

Link to evidence that Iowa "really" wanted him? Not sure we know that. Not that he isn't good enough...it's just that perhaps Iowa determined early their efforts were better spent elsewhere.

Link to evidence that Iowa "really" wanted him? Not sure we know that. Not that he isn't good enough...it's just that perhaps Iowa determined early their efforts were better spent elsewhere.
Yeah. Prolly have someone more better in mind. What’s this kid ranked, anyway?

If I were King, I’d scour the corn fields for vestal virgins and use them to write personalized offers of full rides to each and every top ten pfp prospect in the land.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Might be one of those situations where it seemed like a "natural fit" (teammate already committed, projected at a need weight for us) and then us fans hyped up the interest due to him being a top 10 p4p stud. When in reality, like you say, the staff (the ones doing the actual recruiting) might have had someone else in mind. Heck, maybe they like his teammate Sealey better and are fine waiting the extra year to full court press him instead.

Another thought.. did Shapiro say what weight he projects at? Not crazy to see him outgrowing 157.

Summer 2019 - 113 lbs ~Age 14ish
Fall 2019 - 120lbs
2019-2020 season - 126 lbs ~Age 15ish
2021 freestyle season - 65KG U16 World Champ
2021/2022 season - 145 lbs ~Age 17ish
2022 offseason - 152 lbs

It ultimately doesn't matter anyway because apparently we weren't heavily considered; evidently Cornell was the favorite from the beginning and got him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
So, I peeped the lyrics in question and fail to make any meaningful connection with Iowa’s lack of fiber optics.

The joke was that one day, Iowa might actually be a front runner for latest technology by NOT embracing current technology due to high cost associated with providing services to sparsely populated areas.

Unless you are thinking there might be a boomtown future out on the edge of the prairie some day?

Help a fella out here, eh?
Yeah, that's basically it. A boomtown in the future after all the other areas have played out. No deep meaning. By forgoing yesterdays cutting edge, we set ourselves up for tomorrow's cutting edge.

If I were King, I’d scour the corn fields for vestal virgins and use them to write personalized offers of full rides to each and every top ten pfp prospect in the land.

That’s not—at all—what I was saying. At some point a coaching staff has to cut bait with a recruit because he’s just not interested (for whatever reason) and their limited time and resources are better spent elsewhere.

That’s not—at all—what I was saying. At some point a coaching staff has to cut bait with a recruit because he’s just not interested (for whatever reason) and their limited time and resources are better spent elsewhere.
If I were King, you would probably be punished for insouciance at this point for even thinking you had to explain that my decrees needed to come from you.

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Word on the street….. Ain’t been no suitable 157 pounders available for almost half a decade. You think that’s all gonna change suddenly?
Wasn't a need weight until this year.

Still waiting for you to tell us about all these guys we were going to bring in to take KY's job.

There were only a handful of guys better than him in the entire country the last 4 years.

Another thought.. did Shapiro say what weight he projects at? Not crazy to see him outgrowing 157.

Summer 2019 - 113 lbs ~Age 14ish
Fall 2019 - 120lbs
2019-2020 season - 126 lbs ~Age 15ish
2021 freestyle season - 65KG U16 World Champ
2021/2022 season - 145 lbs ~Age 17ish
2022 offseason - 152 lbs

It ultimately doesn't matter anyway because apparently we weren't heavily considered; evidently Cornell was the favorite from the beginning and got him.
I think he is probably a 149/157 than anything higher.

Yeah, that's basically it. A boomtown in the future after all the other areas have played out. No deep meaning. By forgoing yesterdays cutting edge, we set ourselves up for tomorrow's cutting edge.
Height wise, boys are pretty much done with 90% of growth by end of puberty. So at this point is how he fills out the frame. Where does he find the sweet spot for muscle/leverage ratio that fits his style.

not a hole, maybe a failure to progress
Edited: Lack of point production from athletes expected to wrestle above their ability. Simple as that.

I’m pretty sure KY was wrestling up to his ranking coming in to college? We have had unreasonable expectations of athletes performing above their ranking, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVPFAN
Is it though? Did we also have a hole at 165 the last 5 years?
Good question. Not like 157, imo. The expectations were reasonable at 165. Not 157, imo.

A top 50 recruit might be top five in weight class, roughly. That would put them potentially in top 25 of competition if you took all other years’ top five as similar potential.

The problem comes when that athlete becomes an upperclassman and fails to advance through rankings of kids with similar talent level as upperclassmen graduate.

Optimistically, an athlete ranked fifth at their weight entering college would go from top
25 after taking all other classes into consideration to top ten as a junior and hopefully top five nationally as a senior. That would be a great progression for a kid of that caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT