ADVERTISEMENT

April 8th. Total solar eclipse

I feel so sorry for the people that live in the towns that will be over run with nerds for this event. I'd be taking a vacation if I lived in the patch.

Reactions: Hans81
The sun will be 94% blocked in Houston. That's going to have to be good enough. Sounds everyone is going to be in central Texas for the event.

Looks better this morning. Going to be tough to gauge, may change right up until go time :(

cloudcover.conus.png

15z is 4 hrs before the eclipse.

18z is 1 PM CDT (1 hour before)
21z is 2 hrs after, so you want to be checking the maps between those two snapshots. Canadian models are only every 6 hrs, while the NWS one has projections for every 3 hrs.

Both of those models show the area clouding up in the afternoon. Eclipse is at 2 PM CDT/3 PM EDT
Models are only going to get more accurate, so hopefully that pocket stays there. Things look pretty bleak from all of TX up thru Arkansas/MO right now.

Have a feeling lots of folks who planned poorly here will end up missing out. Like pre-booking hotels all across TX months in advance.

21z is 2 hrs after, so you want to be checking the maps between those two snapshots. Canadian models are only every 6 hrs, while the NWS one has projections for every 3 hrs.

Both of those models show the area clouding up in the afternoon. Eclipse is at 2 PM CDT/3 PM EDT
Models are only going to get more accurate, so hopefully that pocket stays there. Things look pretty bleak from all of TX up thru Arkansas/MO right now.

Have a feeling lots of folks who planned poorly here will end up missing out. Like pre-booking hotels all across TX months in advance.
Yeah i changed it about 20 seconds after i posted it, realized i posted the wrong time

Reactions: Joes Place
I feel so sorry for the people that live in the towns that will be over run with nerds for this event. I'd be taking a vacation if I lived in the patch.
Yeah, it really sucks that I have a bunch of friends and family coming to town for a big party to watch an extremely rare and awe-inspiring natural phenomenon from my back yard. I should just go see the bridges of Madison County instead…

Texas had the best odds of being clear due to cloud cover probs being lower the further SW you go. But not something you can easily forecast months jn advance obviously

Yeah it's super exciting!

giphy.gif
No need to hate, dude; there's plenty of that on this board and in the world. You obviously think you're too cool for this thing; good for you; I'm sure you get all the ladies because of it. Just stay home and admire yourself, and stay out of any related discussions; you'll be happier, and everyone else will be glad you did.

Last edited:
Canadian model showing front pushing thru by noon on Monday now:

Would open up a huge area for viewing

cloudcover.conus.png

US model still a bit gloomy.

Reactions: lonestar50
No need to hate, dude; there's plenty of that on this board and in the world. You obviously think you're too cool for this thing; good for you; I'm sure you get all the ladies because of it. Just stay home and admire yourself, and stay out of any related discussions; you'll be happier, and everyone else will be glad you did.
LOL... go get em dog!

200w.gif

Scratch your ass and sniff your fingers and be amazed when the moon blocks the sun.

Indianapolis area weather reports are promising. Some clouds tomorrow afternoon but not the heavy overcast we’ve had for the past week. Not noticing any increase in traffic but that will likely change by tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it.

Headed to Western Indiana with the wife and kids. It's worth taking them out of school for this. We'll have to look at weather reports in the area to pick a final destination.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
I love Missouri and Illinois. The gas station food is not great but every gas station is a head shop and there's legal weed everywhere

Back from southeastern MO TSE trip. Excellent skies & found high ground for a full view of the landscape.

Got to see:

• Last moment of sunshine across the landscapes below
  • The polarized light effect just before totality when it looks like you have polarized sunglasses on
  • The black dot of the moon w/ solar corona around it w/ a few red prominences around it
  • Diamond ring at conclusion of totality
  • Temp drop of >10F
  • Full view of the horizon, 360° around where everything looks like dusk as though the sun just set "everywhere"; you only get this view if you find a very flat area (like around Carbondale IL) or at a high point when in hilly country, and you get a better view of totality on the landscapes below you

Found deserted gravel road with the best views, so zero traffic getting back on the highway

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT