ADVERTISEMENT

AR-15 - designed for Vietnam; expanding bullets are a war crime

May 17, 2021
AR-15s Were Made to Explode Human Bodies. In Uvalde, the Bodies Belonged to Children.

The use of expanding rounds on the battlefield is a war crime. The Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court bars their use, and they are prohibited by a declaration of the Hague Convention (the U.S. never ratifiedthe latter). According to the International Committee of the Red Cross, expanding ammunition causes “unnecessary suffering.” When Israel reportedly employed a version of these bullets in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian protesters had to have their legs amputatedafter being hit by a single bullet.

Here, Trump cultists and corporate war-machine profiteers made and keep them legal and easily purchased.

28wmke.jpg

I suppose you don’t care that the parents of the children who were disfigured beyond recognition had to submit their own DNA so that their children could be identified.

The fact that you posted a picture of a crying child really does say it all about the ugliness and evil that has taken hold in this country. Anyone who would defend guns and excuse violence and destroy democracy is a member of a death cult.

what a truly despicable and shameless and evil post. Truly the ugliest I’ve ever seen on these boards.

But that’s what you love, don’t you? You love to see other people suffer, don’t you? You secretly love to vent your anger and stoke violence, don’t you? God help you. God save us from people like you.

Last edited:
I suppose you don’t care that the parents of the children who were disfigured beyond recognition had to submit their own DNA so that their children could be identified.

The fact that you posted a picture of a crying child really does say it all about the ugliness and evil that has taken hold in this country. Anyone who would defend guns and excuse violence and destroy democracy is a member of a death cult.

what a truly despicable and shameless and evil post. Truly the ugliest I’ve ever seen on these boards.

But that’s what you love, don’t you? You love to see other people suffer, don’t you? You secretly love to vent your anger and stove Violins, don’t you? God help you. God save us from people like you.
Overkill bud. Wrestling thread was amateur level.

Reactions: billanole

But that’s what you love, don’t you? You love to see other people suffer, don’t you? You secretly love to vent your anger and stove Violins, don’t you? God help you. God save us from people like you.
Is this a real person?

Reactions: billanole
AR-15s Were Made to Explode Human Bodies. In Uvalde, the Bodies Belonged to Children.

The use of expanding rounds on the battlefield is a war crime. The Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court bars their use, and they are prohibited by a declaration of the Hague Convention (the U.S. never ratifiedthe latter). According to the International Committee of the Red Cross, expanding ammunition causes “unnecessary suffering.” When Israel reportedly employed a version of these bullets in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian protesters had to have their legs amputatedafter being hit by a single bullet.

Here, Trump cultists and corporate war-machine profiteers made and keep them legal and easily purchased.
60 Minutes had a section on these bullets effect on a brick of gelatin.. Horrible to think of what happened to those children. And yet posters make jokes!

Jokes? I don’t see any jokes. OP is a troll posting an article bashing the military on Memorial Day.
It was posted yesterday and not bashing the military.. And what would you call the post of the crying child?

It was posted yesterday and not bashing the military.. And what would you call the post of the crying child?
It accuses the military of war crimes. I’d call the post an accurate representation of the OP and his history of troll posting anarchism.

How do you know what type of projectile he was firing?
Did the Uvalde shooter use expanding rounds? That's news to me. Regardless, the type of rounds is a different conversation than that of an AR-15.

I wonder if OP knows they make a 108-grain, all-copper projectile--the cold-formed MHP is one of the most expanding 9mm ammo made?

Last edited:
Reactions: NCHawk5
I’ve always been under the impression that the .223 out-punches it’s weight due to a bullet that has a tendency to tumble and turn, rather than expand. The reason the US military uses it, is it is efficient and a higher volume of rounds can be carried. Although it out punches it’s weight, it’s still not as destructive as the majority of larger caliber bullets, such as the .30-06 fired by the Vietcong through an AK47.

With that said, it’s possible to get an AR chambered in a larger caliber and I’m sure there are expanding .223 bullets available, and it’s possible the shooter used one or the other. But I don’t believe the .223 is used by the military because of it’s ability to “explode people”.

I’ve always been under the impression that the .223 out-punches it’s weight due to a bullet that has a tendency to tumble and turn, rather than expand. The reason the US military uses it, is it is efficient and a higher volume of rounds can be carried. Although it out punches it’s weight, it’s still not as destructive as the majority of larger caliber bullets, such as the .30-06 fired by the Vietcong through an AK47.

With that said, it’s possible to get an AR chambered in a larger caliber and I’m sure there are expanding .223 bullets available, and it’s possible the shooter used one or the other. But I don’t believe the .223 is used by the military because of it’s ability to “explode people”.
AKs dont fire a 30-06. They fire a much smaller round, 30-06s are vicious. The "AR 10" platform will fire "long stroke" sized cartridges such as 308 or 30-06, I do not believe he was shooting an AR 10 variant, they are very expensive. The 223 aka 556 nato doesn't tumble any more or less than another round. Physics are still physics. It's a roughly 60 grain bullet traveling roughly 2800 fps, they generally shatter on impact, especially if they are a hollow point as the OP is talking about. A heavier bullet, moving slower, is mich more likely to stay intact and tumble. A good example of a round that DOES tumble a shit tone is a slug from a shotgun. You are 100% correct that weight was a major factor for the military.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurk
AK-47s shoot 7.62x39 ammo. A 30-06 with a hollow point would do much much more damage. Ar15 ammo also doesnt tumble. If it did, it would be incredibly innacurate.

Do you know what type of round the guy was firing r are we just going for the ultimate shock factor here?
Reported that they were exploding/hollow point. But even if they were normal rounds the ammunition of an AR-15 is designed to do far more damage according to this report. You can watch the video as well.

A gunshot wound is potentially fatal no matter what kind of ammunition is used. But Cynthia Bir showed us the difference in an AR-15 round against gelatin targets in her ballistics lab at the University of Southern California.

hv-3.jpg

Cynthia Bir with correspondent Scott Pelley

Cynthia Bir: Years of research have gone in to kind of what the makeup should be of this ordnance gelatin to really represent what damage you would see in your soft tissues.

Scott Pelley: So this is a pretty accurate representation of what would happen to a human being?

Cynthia Bir: Yeah, this is currently considered kind of the state of the art.

"Organs aren't just going to tear or have bruises on them, they're going to be, parts of them are going to be destroyed."​

This is a 9-millimeter bullet from a handgun, which we captured in slow motion. The handgun bullet traveled about 800 miles an hour. It sliced nearly straight all the way through the gel.

Now look at the AR-15 round.

Cynthia Bir: See the difference?

Scott Pelley: Yes.

It's three times faster and struck with more than twice the force. The shockwave of the AR-15 bullet blasted a large cavity in the gel unlike the bullet from the handgun.

Scott Pelley: Wow. There's an enormous difference. You can see it right away.

Cynthia Bir: Yeah, exactly. There are fragments in here. There's, kind of took a curve and came out. You can see a much larger area in terms of the fractures that are inside.

Now watch from above. On top, the handgun, at bottom, the AR-15.

Scott Pelley: It's just exploded.

Cynthia Bir: It's exploded and it's tumbling. So what happens is, this particular round is designed to tumble and break apart.

The 9 mm handgun round has a larger bullet, but this AR-15 round has more gunpowder, accelerating its velocity. Both the round and the rifle were designed in the 1950's for the military. The result was the M16 for our troops and the AR-15 for civilians.

Cynthia Bir: There's going to be a lot more damage to the tissues, both bones, organs, whatever gets kind of even near this bullet path. The bones aren't going to just break, they're going to shatter. Organs aren't just going to tear or have bruises on them, they're going to be, parts of them are going to be destroyed.

Did the Uvalde shooter use expanding rounds? That's news to me. Regardless, the type of rounds is a different conversation than that of an AR-15.

I wonder if OP knows they make a 108-grain, all-copper projectile--the cold-formed MHP is one of the most expanding 9mm ammo made?

As the gunman bragged in his online messages, expanding, or hollow-point, bullets open upon impact to cause more damage to their targets.

The use of expanding rounds on the battlefield is a war crime. The Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court bars their use, and they are prohibited by a declaration of the Hague Convention (the U.S. never ratified the latter). According to the International Committee of the Red Cross, expanding ammunition causes “unnecessary suffering.” When Israel reportedly employed a version of these bullets in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian protesters had to have their legs amputated after being hit by a single bullet.

The U.S. government and proponents of the hollow-point ammunition argue that that bullet reduces harm to nearby civilians, since it’s less likely to pass through its intended target or ricochet. Another reasoning often provided is that it’s necessary for hunting big game, so the animal doesn’t suffer and can be killed in one hit. One hit.

SALVADOR RAMOS, the 18-year-old gunman in Uvalde, purchased 375 expanding rounds. In 2019, a 21-year-old gunman in El Paso, Texas, bought 1,000 of the same type of bullets for his Walmart rampage. The 20-year-old gunman in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting managed to stockpile 1,700 of various rounds, including hollow points. None of these mass purchases raised any flags.

https://theintercept.com/2022/05/28/uvalde-gun-control-bullets-ammunition/

AK-47s shoot 7.62x39 ammo. A 30-06 with a hollow point would do much much more damage. Ar15 ammo also doesnt tumble. If it did, it would be incredibly innacurate.
I stand corrected on the round fired by the AK47. My comments on tumbling refer to after impact, not during the unimpeded flight of the bullet. A brief research attempt indicates the 556 round both yaws (tumbles) and fragments after impact.

As the gunman bragged in his online messages, expanding, or hollow-point, bullets open upon impact to cause more damage to their targets.

The use of expanding rounds on the battlefield is a war crime. The Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court bars their use, and they are prohibited by a declaration of the Hague Convention (the U.S. never ratified the latter). According to the International Committee of the Red Cross, expanding ammunition causes “unnecessary suffering.” When Israel reportedly employed a version of these bullets in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian protesters had to have their legs amputated after being hit by a single bullet.

The U.S. government and proponents of the hollow-point ammunition argue that that bullet reduces harm to nearby civilians, since it’s less likely to pass through its intended target or ricochet. Another reasoning often provided is that it’s necessary for hunting big game, so the animal doesn’t suffer and can be killed in one hit. One hit.

SALVADOR RAMOS, the 18-year-old gunman in Uvalde, purchased 375 expanding rounds. In 2019, a 21-year-old gunman in El Paso, Texas, bought 1,000 of the same type of bullets for his Walmart rampage. The 20-year-old gunman in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting managed to stockpile 1,700 of various rounds, including hollow points. None of these mass purchases raised any flags.

https://theintercept.com/2022/05/28/uvalde-gun-control-bullets-ammunition/
Thanks for providing a less dramatic response with facts. I didn't know the Uvalde shooter purchased any (I knew about Sandy Hook). It definitely adds to the discussion since the AR-15 isn't the sole weapon capable of using expanding projectiles. I use 147 grain, 9MM, hollow-point in my home defense magazine. It's the only place I use that type of round too. I have 2 boxes of 25 rounds in my night stand safe. The rest of my 9mm is target ammo (118 grain).

Ammunition definitely needs to be part of the discussion.

Reported that they were exploding/hollow point. But even if they were normal rounds the ammunition of an AR-15 is designed to do far more damage according to this report. You can watch the video as well.

A gunshot wound is potentially fatal no matter what kind of ammunition is used. But Cynthia Bir showed us the difference in an AR-15 round against gelatin targets in her ballistics lab at the University of Southern California.

hv-3.jpg

Cynthia Bir with correspondent Scott Pelley

Cynthia Bir: Years of research have gone in to kind of what the makeup should be of this ordnance gelatin to really represent what damage you would see in your soft tissues.

Scott Pelley: So this is a pretty accurate representation of what would happen to a human being?

Cynthia Bir: Yeah, this is currently considered kind of the state of the art.

"Organs aren't just going to tear or have bruises on them, they're going to be, parts of them are going to be destroyed."​

This is a 9-millimeter bullet from a handgun, which we captured in slow motion. The handgun bullet traveled about 800 miles an hour. It sliced nearly straight all the way through the gel.

Now look at the AR-15 round.

Cynthia Bir: See the difference?

Scott Pelley: Yes.

It's three times faster and struck with more than twice the force. The shockwave of the AR-15 bullet blasted a large cavity in the gel unlike the bullet from the handgun.

Cynthia Bir: Yeah, exactly. There are fragments in here. There's, kind of took a curve and came out. You can see a much larger area in terms of the fractures that are inside.

Cynthia Bir: It's exploded and it's tumbling. So what happens is, this particular round is designed to tumble and break apart.

The 9 mm handgun round has a larger bullet, but this AR-15 round has more gunpowder, accelerating its velocity. Both the round and the rifle were designed in the 1950's for the military. The result was the M16 for our troops and the AR-15 for civilians.

Cynthia Bir: There's going to be a lot more damage to the tissues, both bones, organs, whatever gets kind of even near this bullet path. The bones aren't going to just break, they're going to shatter. Organs aren't just going to tear or have bruises on them, they're going to be, parts of them are going to be destroyed.
Yes Riley, a smaller bullet traveling faster will penetrate a soft material deeper than a larger, slower, projectile. As soon as it hits anything hard, like a tree, cinderblock, or femur it loses its energy much faster. I would also encourage you to consider the difference between a 9mm and a 223 by nature. A 9mm is a fairly weak cartridge in and of itself and is being fired from a much shorter barrel thus velocity is nowhere near a 223. Physics are still physics.

Do you know what type of round the guy was firing r are we just going for the ultimate shock factor here?
Would it be okay if he was firing a round that only mostly destroyed 19 ten year olds? A kinder, gentler AR-15 round? For when you want to kill a human but not have to clean all day?

I’m really interested in the point you want to make here.

Yes Riley, a smaller bullet traveling faster will penetrate a soft material deeper than a larger, slower, projectile. As soon as it hits anything hard, like a tree, cinderblock, or femur it loses its energy much faster. I would also encourage you to consider the difference between a 9mm and a 223 by nature. A 9mm is a fairly weak cartridge in and of itself and is being fired from a much shorter barrel thus velocity is nowhere near a 223. Physics are still physics.
Lol - it's not about the depth, it's about the concussion and the tumbling that causes far more damage. I had no idea that a smaller caliber could cause so much more harm. I'm guessing you didn't watch the video.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Here’s a gem from the same author crying about an ISIS leader being killed:

Folks, ask yourselves if you want to be associated with an author who defends terrorism.
Is it ‘defending terrorism’ to point out our feckless policy the last two decades created the guy we killed?

In his remarks announcing the death of al-Quraishi, even Biden refrained from promising a forthcoming end to the conflicts or even a radically transformed security situation for Americans. Though al-Quraishi, a man whom most Americans would likely have been unable to name, is now dead, along with several civilians, the two-decade-long conflict that led to his emergence still continues — with no horizon in sight.

Is it ‘defending terrorism’ to point out our feckless policy the last two decades created the guy we killed?

In his remarks announcing the death of al-Quraishi, even Biden refrained from promising a forthcoming end to the conflicts or even a radically transformed security situation for Americans. Though al-Quraishi, a man whom most Americans would likely have been unable to name, is now dead, along with several civilians, the two-decade-long conflict that led to his emergence still continues — with no horizon in sight.
It’s what needs to be done. These freaks cannot be tolerated. Every president who is privy to more information than you and I has come to that conclusion. I guess they’re all wrong then.

Jokes? I don’t see any jokes. OP is a troll posting an article bashing the military on Memorial Day.
Posting facts about the origins of the A.R. 15, the fact that it was tested during the Vietnam war, and the fact that expanding bullets - easily purchased in this country, unique in the developed world, and used by a teenager to execute little children and teachers - are a violation of the Geneva conventions and are considered war crimes is by no means trolling.

Stop demonizing me or denying the truth. my family has been in the United States back before there was a United States. My grandmother was a member of the daughters of the American Revolution because they traced our family back to Mary Ball, George Washington’s mother. We are direct descendents. (Am I proud that George Washington owned slaves and was a wealthy land surveyor and landowner (all expropriated land) and was nicknamed by the indigenous peoples “village destroyer“ because he, before his political career, coordinated genocide and ethnic cleansing? Not really. Would you be proud? I am proud that he did some good things as a leader though. But it’s a complicated history. Are you brave enough to see complexity in anyway? Or is it all black-and-white for you?)

don’t lecture me about bashing or any other distracting delusional crap. Face the facts.

And face the fact that this gun and these bullets actually destroyed - exploded beyond recognition - the faces of little children to such a degree that they were unidentifiable.

Face that fact. Grow a pair and admit the truth.

It’s what needs to be done. These freaks cannot be tolerated. Every president who is privy to more information than you and I has come to that conclusion. I guess they’re all wrong then.
How many more decades of this never ending whack a mole will it take for you to realize that?

How many more decades of this never ending whack a mole will it take for you to realize that?
It will never end. Buckle up, it’s the world we live in. Extremists are always going to exist and they’re always going to target us.

It will never end. Buckle up, it’s the world we live in. Extremists are always going to exist and they’re always going to target us.
Why don’t they target the countries that aren’t propping up their local despotisms?

Lol - it's not about the depth, it's about the concussion and the tumbling that causes far more damage. I had no idea that a smaller caliber could cause so much more harm. I'm guessing you didn't watch the video.
I cannot believe I just watched that video for thr 2 ****ing minutes of the same shit I'm talking about. It blows up in there because it is a tiny bullet going super fast, which is why it shrapnel'd out. They dont "tumble" they "shatter". Yes Riley, rifles are going to do more to a gel block than a 9mm.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to explain this to super easy Riley.

Left is a 9mm, middle 223, right 30-06.

Notice how the 9mm bullet itself is bigger but the case is smaller? An object with more mass traveling slower will hold its energy more stable than the much smaller mass (223) traveling faster upon impact.So the bullet "shatters" when it his anything hard (like a tree or cinderblock) this guy shows a similar gel test with lesser ammo (slower) and the result is more what you see from the 9mm. Now, you can read that and think OMG 223 IS WORSE THAN 9MM THATS TOO MUCH! Until you realize that it is very small by rifle standards and wheras in these school settings 223s are actually getting knocked down by walls a much heavier, more traditional, rifle round has more mass and energy and would be going through cinderblock (or trees in the case of vietnam). Your buying into some bullshit man. E still equals M c²

Tulammo .223 55gr Ballistic Gel Test
YouTube · Shop Time
Mar 13, 2015

Last edited:
I cannot believe I just watched that video for thr 2 ****ing minutes of the same shit I'm talking about. It blows up in there because it is a tiny bullet going super fast, which is why it shrapnel'd out. They dont "tumble" they "shatter". Yes Riley, rifles are going to do more to a gel block than a 9mm.
Lol - from the transcript below. And don't forget you mocked posters suggesting the .223 round be regulated.

We're talking about the destructive nature of AR-15 ammo and you're referencing walls and concrete blocks. We just had kids destroyed beyond recognition by this ammunition but you think it's dumb to provide any regulation on it.

Yeah - I'm the simpleton. JFC.
Did that make sense to you? Riley, all ammunition does horrible things to soft tissue. Destructive nature" IS its ability to shoot through doors/walls/windows multiple people.

Here is a great spotlight how how bought into the boogeyman you are.. Riley you refer to it as "ar ammo" I'm going to assume you mean 223/556. That round is ideal for coyotes and varmints. It doesnt "explode" You are chasing a bogeyman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol - from the transcript below. And don't forget you mocked posters suggesting the .223 round be regulated.

Shock words Riley. There is not an "explosion" it breaks apart quickly upon impact because that small of a bullet can't handle the energy. When you use the word "tumble" for people that speak firearms, that means it's ability to hit something and continue moving forward generally the ground and bounce. 223s dont "tumble" they break apart very rapidly after impact and lose energy fast.

Last edited:
Did that make sense to you? Riley, all ammunition does horrible things to soft tissue. Destructive nature" IS its ability to shoot through doors/walls/windows multiple people.

"JFC"

Here is a great spotlight how how bought into the boogeyman you are.. Riley you refer to it as "ar ammo" I'm going to assume you mean 223/556. That round is ideal for coyotes and varmints. It doesnt "explode" You are chasing a bogeyman.
Ammunition should be regulated. THAT'S the point. Particularly ammo that is used in the AR-15 type weapons that cause so much damage to people.

I'm referencing the ammunition most commonly used in AR-15s as cited in the report. Likewise the exploding/hollow point ammunition that destroyed 19 children beyond recognition. You know, the ammunition you refer to as "dumb" to regulate.

Reactions: HawkNester
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT