ADVERTISEMENT

AR-15's and other semi automatic rifles will be allowed for deer hunting in Iowa.

If you’re talking this late season doe, then I do think you can use the long range cartridge. (Not 100% sure). That’s why I brought up no party hunting for those seasons.
If you figure this part out, let us know. Im confused on that part as well. Iowa has in the past allowed a really late doe season using centerfire bottle neck cartridges (without issue, so this distance thing is a non-issue), so no idea why the continuation would require a new law (other than politicians making their jobs a self fulfilling prophecy)

You’ve got me confused I think. If you’re talking first and second season, distance really wasn’t added when they started allowing rifles. The specific cartridges that are legal don’t really allow for more distance than your rifles shotguns. It’s not a normal bottle necked cartridge that you’d use hunting mule deer in Nebraska.

If you’re talking this late season doe, then I do think you can use the long range cartridge. (Not 100% sure). That’s why I brought up no party hunting for those seasons.
Interesting. I guess I was under the assumption that the new calibers would increase distances beyond the current 100-140 yds that the slugs carry. I wouldn't be for adding a whole lot more distance then that.

If you figure this part out, let us know. Im confused on that part as well. Iowa has in the past allowed a really late doe season using centerfire bottle neck cartridges (without issue, so this distance thing is a non-issue), so no idea why the continuation would require a new law (other than politicians making their jobs a self fulfilling prophecy)
Seems like a sensationalized hit piece that hit its mark with the local lefties. The law just expands the counties that are included. KCRG making it sound like it’s some new legislation to allow semi-automatic rifles “including AR-15’s” is child’s play more city folk.

It’s a dead give away when the first paragraph says “kill deer” instead of “hunting deer”.

Reactions: notlongago
Reactions: Hammer93
Sportsmen have migrated to bowhunting to even the score. Now the dinosaur congress and Kimmee make sure hunters have weapons capable of totally destroying the prey carcass. Why not? Those deer can get ferocious.
Speaking of dinosaurs. they are definitely needed for them.

Interesting. I guess I was under the assumption that the new calibers would increase distances beyond the current 100-140 yds that the slugs carry. I wouldn't be for adding a whole lot more distance then that.
May wanna stay out of the deer woods - slugs and muzzleloaders have had much further range for quite some time now.

max range 3600 meters. max effective range 600 meters. I'm sure rural people in the flat parts of Iowa are excited about the chance to see people spray and pray.

Reactions: Hammer93
Seems like a sensationalized hit piece that hit its mark with the local lefties. The law just expands the counties that are included. KCRG making it sound like it’s some new legislation to allow semi-automatic rifles “including AR-15’s” is child’s play more city folk.

It’s a dead give away when the first paragraph says “kill deer” instead of “hunting deer”.
many do want to kill deer. Not that I care but I know a lot of stupid hunters that do a lot of illegal shit. Most think they are some sort of sportsman because they can use modern hunting equipment to shoot something. BFD.
Now I don't care if people hunt, they should, there's many good reason's for it and I hunted for years. Mostly because I grew up poor and we needed cheap sources of protein. My problem is the number of unethical hunters there are. I would throw using an AR-15 in the category of unethical hunting because it's more about killing than hunting.

many do want to kill deer. Not that I care but I know a lot of stupid hunters that do a lot of illegal shit. Most think they are some sort of sportsman because they can use modern hunting equipment to shoot something. BFD.
Now I don't care if people hunt, they should, there's many good reason's for it and I hunted for years. Mostly because I grew up poor and we needed cheap sources of protein. My problem is the number of unethical hunters there are. I would throw using an AR-15 in the category of unethical hunting because it's more about killing than hunting.
How is it any different than any other firearm used in Iowa?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I was with you until the last sentence. Using an AR-15 style rifle is no different than using a shotgun in its application to Iowa deer hunting. A ton of deer hunters in Iowa already have AR’s, so they just swap out a piece and it becomes a .350, .450, etc. Instead of buying a gun specifically chambered as such. Hunting with an AR-15 doesn’t all of a sudden turn a sportsman into being an unethical scum bag. That’s just being short sighted. Note: I still use my trusty rifled 12 gauge.

May wanna stay out of the deer woods - slugs and muzzleloaders have had much further range for quite some time now.
Well, Muzzleloaders have a range of 150-200 yards maximum and slugs start to drop significantly at 100 yards. A .223 would have a very good accuracy at approximately 350 yds. My point is exactly that. Not sure what you are looking at for your information. I just think they should be cognizant of the range of the shell/gun. That's all. Definitely not here to have someone preach to me.

full-full-metal-jacket.gif

Party hunting can be safe, I've been doing it for 40 years. It does however require communication and discipline. Our group is very stable and consistent, and anyone new who joins gets everything laid out for them both on general rules (such as absolutely no shooting even in the general direction of any structures) and for each individual property we hunt (where the pushers are coming from, where all of the posters will be, etc.). We've kicked guys out of the group, some immediately on the spot, for something as simple as wandering off from where they are supposed to be posted even if it didn't create an issue in that specific instance. You're supposed to be in a very specific place, and changing any of that greatly increases the risk of an incident. It's not tolerated, and they're told that stuff up front.
I get it, and I have done it, but of all the tactics for hunting deer walking and blocking is by far the most dangerous.

Well, Muzzleloaders have a range of 150-200 yards maximum and slugs start to drop significantly at 100 yards. A .223 would have a very good accuracy at approximately 350 yds. My point is exactly that. Not sure what you are looking at for your information. I just think they should be cognizant of the range of the shell/gun. That's all. Definitely not here to have someone preach to me.
Can't shoot deer with .223 fwiw

If this were 1995, you may be right, but its not, so youre not. Muzzleloaders can easily be 300 yard guns now, and get into smokeless and you have a 1000+ yd muzzleloader. Slugs are 200 yd rounds.
Iowa has had, for many years now (before rifles were allowed in the gun season), various bottleneck centerfire seasons (of which 223 has never been allowed because its been deemed too anemic). So to put it bluntly, you are way behind the times and are being manipulated by headlines.

What cartridge are you under the impression people are using for deer hunting? 450 bushmaster and 350 legend (2 most popular AR deer cartridges) are on par w/ a 20ga slug ballistically.
My SKS fires 7.62 x 39mm ammo, would I legally be able to hunt with that now?

My SKS fires 7.62 x 39mm ammo, would I legally be able to hunt with that now?
I'm out and about today so I don't have my reloading manual with me but I'm 99% sure that's a 30 caliber bullet. So it would not work since it is a "necked down" cartridge.

Legal firearms for the youth/disabled and shotgun 1 and 2 seasons include:

• Pistols and revolvers (with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches)
  • Straight-wall and "necked-down" cartridge rifles shooting an expanding type bullet of at least .350 inches and no greater than .500 inches with at least 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

Can't use 308 or 30-06 even though they have way more energy than the above cartridges foe this same reason.

*but I don't know if that is true for this specific season.

If this were 1995, you may be right, but its not, so youre not. Muzzleloaders can easily be 300 yard guns now, and get into smokeless and you have a 1000+ yd muzzleloader. Slugs are 200 yd rounds.
Iowa has had, for many years now (before rifles were allowed in the gun season), various bottleneck centerfire seasons (of which 223 has never been allowed because its been deemed too anemic). So to put it bluntly, you are way behind the times and are being manipulated by headlines.
I know a shit load of hunters and am pretty certain nobody actually has a muzzleloader that shoots 1000 yds. Google says the typical muzzleloadeer shoots between 150-200 yards. I think that is probably a TOP of the line specialty gun of some sort that shoots 1000 yds if there is such a thing. I just googled rifled slugged barrels, distance and accuracy. There is nothing that I could find that says they travel past 200 yds (and that is if you buy the TOP, TOP ammunition on the market). It says most are accurate up to 150 yds. Sabots. I think you are assuming deer hunters hunt with the top of the line Olympic sharp shooting equipment.

I know a shit load of hunters and am pretty certain nobody actually has a muzzleloader that shoots 1000 yds. Google says the typical muzzleloadeer shoots between 150-200 yards. I think that is probably a TOP of the line specialty gun of some sort that shoots 1000 yds if there is such a thing. I just googled rifled slugged barrels, distance and accuracy. There is nothing that I could find that says they travel past 200 yds (and that is if you buy the TOP, TOP ammunition on the market). It says most are accurate up to 150 yds. Sabots. I think you are assuming deer hunters hunt with the top of the line Olympic sharp shooting equipment.
Just because its not your experience, doesnt mean its not true.
300 yd muzzleloader
Another 300+ yd muzzleloader
1000+yd muzzleloader builder from right here in Iowa
Heres the 200+ yd slug ammo. Available at any sporting goods/farm fleet type store. Far from anything rare or unique.

ADVERTISEMENT