ADVERTISEMENT

AR-15s, are they just popular because they look "cool"?

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
According to what I'm reading, they don't provide any functional advantage over many other types of guns available. (a glock, or a hunting rifle)

Or is that inaccurate?

Yes. You can get them, or build them into, in all kinds of configurations, they come in different colors, add all kinds of different accessories on them and they look like what the military carries. Plus they are widely available.

Note, every time you see a cult standing around with them in large numbers, they have them configured in a way that is only needed for combat. None of that stuff is useful for personal or home defense. Heck, an AR is crap for home defense, pistols and shotguns are far better. Their only good use is combat and intimidation.

Very easy to use. Low recoil. Not a coincidence that complete novices can buy one and shoot 10-20 people the next week.

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk
According to what I'm reading, they don't provide any functional advantage over many other types of guns available. (a glock, or a hunting rifle)

Or is that inaccurate?

I checked your link.

I love the fact that some there think that more people dying from hammers than from guns is relevant.

Besides, is that even plausibly true?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time we banned assault rifles we grandfathered in all the existing ones.

I think we should do that again. The value of mine will go up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time we banned assault rifles we grandfathered in all the existing ones.

I think we should do that again. The value of mine will go up.

What is an assault rifle, exactly? Like functionally. Because from what I was reading, they're just semi-automatic rifles. Is the semi-automatic functionality what was being banned?

Definition of assault weapon​

Under the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, the definition of "assault weapon" included specific semi-automatic firearm models by name, and other semi-automatic firearms that possessed two or more from a set certain features:[14]

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and has two or more of the following:
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
  • Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
  • Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
  • A manufactured weight of 50 ounces (1.41kg) or more when the pistol is unloaded
  • A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
  • Folding or telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
  • Detachable magazine.

The law also categorically banned the following makes and models of semi-automatic firearms and any copies or duplicates of them, in any caliber:

Name of firearmPreban federal legal status
Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (AKs) (all models)Imports banned in 1989*
Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and GalilImports banned in 1989*
Beretta AR-70 (SC-70)Imports banned in 1989*
Colt AR-15Legal
Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN-LAR, FNCImports banned in 1989*
SWD (MAC type) M-10, M-11, M11/9, M12Legal
Steyr AUGImports banned in 1989*
INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22Legal
Revolving cylinder shotguns such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12Legal

Their popularity has a lot to do with looking cool.

That said they are more dangerous for mass shootings than most other weapons.

If you are thinking about a mass shooting especially in a place like a school there are 3 things that figure into how dangerous it is. Power, Effective range, and ammo capacity.

Pistol rounds don't have the power a Remmington 223 round has. The speed of the round will go right through people and the round is longer and will often tumble when it hits flesh which tears up internal organs.

Shotgun shells are more powerful than Remmington 223 rounds but only at close range. Even a slug can't go nearly as far or as accurately as a rifle round.

Ammo capacity is where the AR-15 shines here. Standard mag is 30 rounds and it reloads fast. You can also get a 50 round drum mag. With the right outfit or equipment you can carry like 10 standard mags if not more.

A lot of pistols can reload fast but their ammo capacity ranges from 6 to 18 rounds depending on the pistol.

Shotguns are usually limited to somewhere around 8 rounds and are much slower to reload. The magazine is usually internal so you can't just quickly swap out magazines like the AR-15 does.

In terms of effective range rifles are king. Some rifles may have more effective range than an AR-15 but you can still be accurate and lethal at several hundred yards with an AR-15. You arn't doing that with a shotgun or pistol. So the AR-15 allows you to drop people running away from you down a long hall way that might not be possible with a shotgun and the aim would be more difficult with a pistol.

So is the detachable magazine something that makes a gun a lot more dangerous from the perspective of being able to get through lots of shots quickly? (and quickly refreshing the ability to get off more shots)

Reactions: Gimmered
What is an assault rifle, exactly? Like functionally. Because from what I was reading, they're just semi-automatic rifles. Is the semi-automatic functionality what was being banned?

I think it’s the full auto functionality. I’m sure any weapon that can switch to full auto can be produced or modified into assault rifle

While there a bunch of studies showing little impact of assault guns on homicides, some other studies are interesting.

According to research done by the Violence Policy Center, in 2016 one in four law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty were killed by an assault weapon.[41] A 2018 study examined the types of crime guns recovered by law enforcement in ten different cities and found that assault weapons and semiautomatic guns outfitted with large capacity magazines generally accounted for between 22 to 36% of crime guns recovered by police.[41]

Reactions: h-hawk
So is the detachable magazine something that makes a gun a lot more dangerous from the perspective of being able to get through lots of shots quickly? (and quickly refreshing the ability to get off more shots)

Pretty much. . . you buy a bunch of magazines, put the rounds in the magazine ahead of time and then you can switch magazines in 2 seconds or less.

For example my handguns have detachable magazines and I keep the magazines out of the gun (and locked up) but I can have one ready to fire in about 30 seconds. About 25 seconds of that is getting to the safe and unlocking it, the last two steps are load the magazine and rack the gun (which puts a round in to the chamber and draws the striker back)

Most pistols except for revolvers and most rifles except for maybe some bolt actions have detachable magazines.

Most shotguns however have an internal magazine which requires the rounds to be loaded individually into the gun which takes far more time. A lot of people on here like to defend the AR-15 by claiming that if someone used a shotgun it would be more deadly. This is where that argument fails. While yes the shotgun would be even more powerful and deadly against kids at close range loaded with either buckshot or a slug, once the user had fired off all the shells the reload process would give a lot of people time to escape or even possibly a chance to counter attack the shooter.

Here is a youtube video of loading an AR-15 a lot of it is explaining and a lot of the checks he does are of no meaning if you are in the middle of shooting people

Consider how little practice or effort it takes to do that and you get 30 rounds every load.

On the other hand here is someone showing you how to reload a shotgun fast.

Consider that he had to practice at this loading method (this isn't a natural movement) and it still takes longer to get 6 rounds.

Even if you ignore the effective range and make the argument that a shotgun is deadlier at close range (which it is) a ordinary shotgun still takes all that effort and time to reload 6 to 8 rounds. Which is why mass shooters don't carry shotguns, they carry AR's.

Last edited:

Or is that inaccurate?

thats the problem of people reading and not knowing the differences. As far as aim and deadly force. An AR would have 99% confidence. A 9mm would give it 50% if 10’ away. Try target shooting sometime. Hand guns are very difficult to hit targets.

I no longer have any guns except for an old double barrel Parker Brothers 12 gauge I bought for $10 about 40 years ago. Once upon a time I used it to hunt pheasants and ducks. Now It sits in the upstairs front entrance where the wife hangs vistors coats and such. I buy new shells every so often and have fun shooting tin cans down the lower drive toward the septic field with the old ones. It's the only gun I'll ever own now. I only keep it around just in case.

thats the problem of people reading and not knowing the differences. As far as aim and deadly force. An AR would have 99% confidence. A 9mm would give it 50% if 10’ away. Try target shooting sometime. Hand guns are very difficult to hit targets.
Length of barrel? Is that an advantage with most shotguns then?

Yes more accurate with longer barrel. If someone has a handgun run zig zag like from a gator. They would not hit you with a hand gun. Trained our kids never ever get in a car and take your chances running.

They're extremely accurate and extremely easy to fire with almost no recoil and they almost never jam. Add in that you can get extremely large magazines for them pretty easily and they make a really effective weapon for shooting lots of people really quickly. There are actually other weapons that would be better, especially in closed spaces. And really any semi-automatic that isn't prone to jamming is perfect though.

Reactions: h-hawk and Gimmered
Shotguns are going to fire over a 10 foot area, so they don't require accuracy. Just fire into a crowded room and you're going to hit people. Use the right shell and you're killing several of them. Shotguns generally have strong recoil and require time to reload though.

Curious as to what realistic situation may arise that you would NEED an AR-15.
xd472du805h61.jpg

Ummmm for starters, ZOMBIES!

Reactions: stout1

Or is that inaccurate?

Assault rifles have high capacity magazines, high muzzle velocity, are lightweight, low recoil, and highly accurate.

Some hunting rifles will shoot larger rounds that are relatively high velocity but they are often bolt action with limited capacity and re-loading involves manually inserting bullets one at a time.

Pistols don't deliver nearly the same kinetic energy as an assault rifle like an AR-15. Compare a .357 to an AR-15. People generally think of the .357 as a powerful hand gun, right? The AR-15 will generally have about twice (up to 3x) the muzzle velocity of the .357 and will be a lot more accurate and easier to operate.

Bolt action .308 hunting rifle:

M4A3 Carbine (AR-15) shown below.

Note the accessory rails on the top and bottom. You can fit scopes, laser sights, lights etc...

You can remove the top handle and replace with a variety of scopes.

bushmaster-xm-15-m4-a3-carbine-rifle-1326455-1.jpg

With some accessories:

58983821ee2d73debf553d0548dd543a--assault-rifle-google-search.jpg

Reactions: Colonoscopy

Or is that inaccurate?

The only logical reason for having an AR-15 is that you're a state certified dumbass.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
They're extremely accurate and extremely easy to fire with almost no recoil and they almost never jam. Add in that you can get extremely large magazines for them pretty easily and they make a really effective weapon for shooting lots of people really quickly. There are actually other weapons that would be better, especially in closed spaces. And really any semi-automatic that isn't prone to jamming is perfect though.
They don't jam with a standard 30 round magazine. They are prone to jam with higher capacity mags, especially a drum mag. People tape mags together to make switching a second faster.

iu

Curious as to what realistic situation may arise that you would NEED an AR-15.
The next time the wingnuts stage an insurrection?

Liberals need to face facts. We aren't getting serious gun control. When will you think about arming yourself?

Gandhi wouldn't live more than a few minutes against the American Right.

If blacks, women and liberals generally start getting locked and loaded, I wonder if Rs will suddenly show interest in gun control?

Reactions: stout1
The last time a bayonet lug was the difference.

post-4983-0-16410800-1377216314.jpg

Really don't see many bayonets at the range anymore, but the do make slings and tripods that attach to these deadly devices.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT