ADVERTISEMENT

Arbitrator Rules In Favor of Yianni

Funny thing is that Koll did not mess up. Cael did nothing wrong and the wrestlers certainly did nothing wrong.

The whole thing starts and stops at tucci.
Time for video review to end.

All the refs had to do was nothing. Let it go to the third match and let the best man win. That’s why they do 3. They decided to alter procedure and here we are. No one should be pissed at coaches or athletes. Officials blew it and doubled down. Now Joseph is upset. Could have easily been avoided.

Bo Nickal:

"This is so stupid. Have fun arbitrating every match where someone doesn’t like the outcome. Bad for the sport."
-----------

Bo must remember that Yianni was the winner on the scoreboard at the end of the match by 8-6.

Cael and Zain didn't like the outcome of the match.

So after the match was over, Cael threw the brick to review something that happened much earlier in the match.

I agree.... so stupid.

Last edited:
And the rule reads 5 seconds after the score goes up. Not after the action stops.

Reactions: vhsalum
I will support whomever wins 100%. I'm glad Yianni got some justice after that debacle. What a joke the ending of that match was. Blackeye to the sport we love

Reactions: WiscoWrastler
Bo Nickal:

"This is so stupid. Have fun arbitrating every match where someone doesn’t like the outcome. Bad for the sport."
-----------

Bo must remember that Yianni was the winner on the scoreboard at the end of the match by 8-6.

Cael and Zain didn't like the outcome of the match.

So after the match was over, Cael threw the brick to review something that happened much earlier in the match.

I agree.... so stupid.

Fortunately all Carl threw was the brick.

Why are they all upset? The series should be 1-1. This is a huge advantage for zain. If he can’t beat him once before yianni wins twice, he shouldn’t represent the US at the weight. Period.
+1
Zain is a straight thug. But beating Yianni is a different kind of task.

Can't wait to see when/where this is. Were a month out from Worlds and I believe acclimation camp departs in around 2 weeks? Hopefully they expedite this.

Funny thing is that Koll did not mess up. Cael did nothing wrong and the wrestlers certainly did nothing wrong.

The whole thing starts and stops at tucci.
Time for video review to end.[/

Your second to last sentence is all. Rick Tucci is terrible at his job. I’ll never forget the video Flo posted with Tucci explaining the calls in the Ruth-Reader match. Even though he EXPLAINED what the call should have been, that the viewers saw, he couldn’t say the words and stammered some nonsensical, back-bending, reality-altering words to back up the shenanigans.

Not that it will EVER happen, but three man mechanics should be thrown away. It’s just a shitty way to officiate wrestling. One ref, one assistant (who can only make caution/illegal calls) and video review with time going back on the clock to the point of review.

If the match in question had ended like it should have then it would be winner takes all in match 3. In this case Zain has 2 matches to win one so he should not have that much to complain about.

Zain isn't complaining.

wow I thought you meant the fans. What a whiny bunch of wrestlers. I thought DT was bad. I guess they've all taken after him.

Whiny. That's so ironic coming from you.

To be fair if this happened to one of our guys we probably wouldn’t like it.
I doubt Zain is wallowing around distraught in the abyss of despair.
He’s getting ready.
Yes - likely knew the whole time that it was the wrong outcome.

Heard Zain didn’t wrestle at all at OTC two weeks ago. Rode the bike and did stance motion. I don’t think he’s healthy.

Nickal and Joseph are just sticking up for their guy. Not much else to it.

I believe I was on the record suggesting that re-wrestling the match might make sense. Where I agree with Nickal and Joseph, though, is that we never want to see match outcomes decided in court/arbitration. I believe a great majority of us want it decided on the mat, even if it is the official deciding it. Stick with the on-mat/matside decision and, if it is determined at a later time that there was egregious error, discipline the official(s).

In the past year, we've now seen at least two HS kids protest official's calls in court, and now this ridiculously long arbitration thing. Not a trend I'm looking forward to seeing continue, or snowball.

At the end of the day I believe we all want both wrestlers to be given a fair shot at winning and in my opinion that didn't happen. I would like to believe that no matter who is wrestling! I am actually a fan of Zain and have nothing against his teammates sticking up for their guy, but I think this is the correct outcome. Although I am ok with these guys I still can't stand PSU fwiw!!:mad:

Reactions: rassling
We see a lot of comments about trend in this.
This is not new at all. USA Wrestling has done this many times as had all the other major Olympic sports. Things have gone to arbitration many times. This is just the latest. Higher profile due to the popularity the sport has gain, the wrestlers themselves and internet.

“Take the loss, bad things happen”. Well, then why throw a brick? If bad calls happen, then Bo and the boys should take this one.

“I lost in 3rd grade, let’s review it” Nice butthurt comment I guess and cute. Truth is, there is a procedure for these things and ,better or worse, it worked it’s course. Not one coach would have done any different from Koll under the same circumstances. Cael surly would have.

If Zain is injured, he should step back from this to heal for the Olympic run. Not 100%, he should do the smart thing and get to 100% where he can be deadly. Any gamesmanship on his part, Cael’s part or USA Wrestling would truly damage the sport. If he is healthy, let’s wrestle.

Video review needs to be gone. In all styles. While it helps sometimes, more often than not, it is used as a strategy. It wastes time and never really helps. Bad calls do happen. We all get that. This process clearly has not helped or changed that.

As far as Tucci and other officials go. Either change the rules you helped write or follow them. That simple. Can’t do either? Take off the shoes.

Arbitration/legal challenges have happened over the years. I remember them rewrestling the last (around) 30 seconds of a Greco match in 1984. It is the right thing to let the wrestlers decide who the qualifier is. The added bonus is that all those PSU “experts” that came over here to spout the rules and explain how this was over now get to wipe the egg off their face.

ADVERTISEMENT