ADVERTISEMENT

Arbitrator Rules In Favor of Yianni

I'm always in favor of the correct decision being rendered. Ideally, that occurs on the mat. Instant video review can help correct things if needed and an appeal like this, while not preferred, gives us a final shot at getting it right.

I don't like that it took so long and I think they still got it wrong, as Yanni clearly won that match, he at least has the chance to earn the spot.

It's unfortunate that the correct verdict wasn't delivered through video review, which highlights that none of the 3 ways are sure fire solutions to get it right. I guess if you look at this specific case, the mat call was probably the closest to getting it right and should have been upheld through review. Like we've seen over the last few years, video review seems to be a big problem and often doesn't get it right, which should not be the case.

I believe I was on the record suggesting that re-wrestling the match might make sense. Where I agree with Nickal and Joseph, though, is that we never want to see match outcomes decided in court/arbitration. I believe a great majority of us want it decided on the mat, even if it is the official deciding it. Stick with the on-mat/matside decision and, if it is determined at a later time that there was egregious error, discipline the official(s).

Which is exactly what we are going to get now that the arbitrator sided with Yianni.

I believe I was on the record suggesting that re-wrestling the match might make sense. Where I agree with Nickal and Joseph, though, is that we never want to see match outcomes decided in court/arbitration. I believe a great majority of us want it decided on the mat, even if it is the official deciding it. Stick with the on-mat/matside decision and, if it is determined at a later time that there was egregious error, discipline the official(s).

Which is exactly what we are going to get now that the arbitrator sided with Yianni.
Arbitration is not ideal, but one guy earned it by the rules and because of that, he shouldn't be eliminated from a spot he rightfully earned. A completely wrong decision reversed through Arbitration is, imo, far better than crowning the wrong guy as the champ. (which is not to say arbitration is always right either). In this case, it worked out pretty good.

I have never been a believer in sport where a wrong call of this magnitude is written off as human error or "it's sports, these things happen" or telling someone to deal with it because it's part of the game. Every attempt should be made to get the correct call if a bad call determines the final result, no matter what sport it is. If this happened next year, for an Olympic spot, telling a guy he has to wait 4 years because the official screwed up, is not acceptable.

As far as disciplining the official, that should be done in addition to the arbitration, but discipline alone is not enough imo.

Can’t really argue with Neo’s logic. This did not set a precedent as it’s happened before and will probably happen again. I would be pissed if Zain were a former Hawk but I don’t have a dog in this hunt...I’ll be rooting for whoever wins.

Can’t really argue with Neo’s logic. This did not set a precedent as it’s happened before and will probably happen again. I would be pissed if Zain were a former Hawk but I don’t have a dog in this hunt...I’ll be rooting for whoever wins.
I wouldn’t be angry if this happened to a Hawk because the other wrestler clearly won the match. It’s unimaginable that this occurred in the first place. I thought this type of thing only happened in Russia!

I watched the officiating at Yasir Dogu pretty close. I don’t recall a brick being thrown and then having the challenge decision take more than 30 seconds to resolve.
Which is the way it should be. If there isn’t overwhelming evidence, the wrong call was made, then get moving.

Screw Bo Nickel....Yahnni won the match in question, and still has to rewrestle it, to get to the 3rd match. PSU corner should be happy it isn't 1-1 with just the final match to be wrestled for the spot.Finally someone (arbitrators) said just because Cael wants a decision to go a certain way, doesn't mean it has to go that way.

I'm good with the best wrestler representing the USA. Yanni is other wordly... But I'm not fine with courts making the deciding. This sucks that a court several months later decides the winner. Should have been determined right there ...that day. If it was opposite and Zain petitioned courts...I'd feel the same way. Whatever it takes.....GET the courts out of sports.

Imagine it happening during game 7 of the World Series of a strike 3 call that was actually a ball...or if your Canadian..the last match for the Canadian Curling Championship.

Imagine this...wrestler A wins the National Championship and puts his team ahead by 2 points, which is all it takes to win the Team National Championships. Wrestler B petitions the courts and 2 months later they negate the match for whatever reason (right or wrong). Now we don't have a National Champion at a weight and no team champion yet....2 Months later. Now both wrestlers are now walking around 20 pounds over weight and have to start cutting. Since both wrestler A and wrestler B need time heal (weight issue) and both want to wrestle in Spain as a warm up....we set the wrestle off for August. For the March National Championship team and individual at that weight.

I totally agree with Neo and Chief. We all want the right result. And I will root like hell for anyone that reps our Country former Hawk or not. I just wish the process didn’t take so long. I get the legal predicates involved, but we are talking about a short span of time and limited individuals involved for the incident giving rise to the arbitration. The longer it goes the more people get ingrained in their opinions which generally include biases one way or the other and it loses any level of objectivity.

PSU Jones posted when I was. And I agree. My point is the process being flawed. Not the individuals involved per se. I am old but what is the Statute of Limitations on Drew Pearson pushing off, did Dez Bryant make the catch, Diego Maradona’s “hand of God goal,” the Saints game last year, etc. It needs to be swift and move on.

I'm good with the best wrestler representing the USA. Yanni is other wordly... But I'm not fine with courts making the deciding. This sucks that a court several months later decides the winner. Should have been determined right there ...that day. If it was opposite and Zain petitioned courts...I'd feel the same way. Whatever it takes.....GET the courts out of sports.

Imagine it happening during game 7 of the World Series of a strike 3 call that was actually a ball...or if your Canadian..the last match for the Canadian Curling Championship.

Imagine this...wrestler A wins the National Championship and puts his team ahead by 2 points, which is all it takes to win the Team National Championships. Wrestler B petitions the courts and 2 months later they negate the match for whatever reason (right or wrong). Now we don't have a National Champion at a weight and no team champion yet....2 Months later. Now both wrestlers are now walking around 20 pounds over weight and have to start cutting. Since both wrestler A and wrestler B need time heal (weight issue) and both want to wrestle in Spain as a warm up....we set the wrestle off for August. For the March National Championship team and individual at that weight.
I suppose your thoughts were tongue in cheek, but if not, I guess I don't see that scenario as even being remotely possible for a NCAA finals match. The challenge has to happen right away, which would key everyone with a brain, in to the potential effects to team scoring, if the challenge is upheld, whatever wrestling still has to happen, would occur before either guy left the mat. If not, the decision what will happen would come within days. If you know you may have to rewrestle part, or all of a match, and get 20 pounds over, that is on you.

Considering that this isn’t what happened, at all, me thinks your “I’d be just as upset the other way,” is just hogwash.

Imagine this... the deciding match to represent the USA at the world championships ends and red is the winner. Wait, blue’s coach throws the bricks. Referees review an exchange from the first period and change the call. Now blue is the winner. Sorry red...

This is what could happen in a place where there is no rule of law or way to adjudicate an injustice. Thankfully the US of A is not one of those places.

Wish these guys were wrestling today in between Ringer vs dake match. Should be no hold up - Zain wasn’t a 2018 world champ so no postponement option. Get the scales out and let’s see some fur fly TODAY!

Reactions: crablegs1
They need to get rid of the rule that returning medalist sits atop and awaits winner of us open. A lot changes in a year. Look at Dieringer and Fix. In one year they closed the gap or avenged previous losses. If they do away with that rule, nobody will have a problem with Yianni wrestling in Zain's place if he really is injured.

This is the rule PSU wrestlers should really complain about.

Imagine this... the deciding match to represent the USA at the world championships ends and red is the winner. Wait, blue’s coach throws the bricks. Referees review an exchange from the first period and change the call. Now blue is the winner. Sorry red...

This is what could happen in a place where there is no rule of law or way to adjudicate an injustice. Thankfully the US of A is not one of those places.
Precisely. Now I’ll sit back and watch more PSU fans make nonsensical whiny posts. Please proceed, it’s making my entire weekend...lol

They need to get rid of the rule that returning medalist sits atop and awaits winner of us open. A lot changes in a year. Look at Dieringer and Fix. In one year they closed the gap or avenged previous losses. If they do away with that rule, nobody will have a problem with Yianni wrestling in Zain's place if he really is injured.

This is the rule PSU wrestlers should really complain about.

Gilman didn't have a bye. Dake torched the whole world and won gold. He deserves a bye IMO.

Gilman didn't have a bye. Dake torched the whole world and won gold. He deserves a bye IMO.
I never said Gilman had a bye. Gilman beat Fix last year handily. This year he lost to Fix. One year. Dieringer got teched by Dake a year or so ago, and is a point or two inferior now. A lot can change in a year, and without everyone running through the same tournament, we are advantaging someone for their accomplishments perhaps a year ago. We may not be sending our best guys on internationally with the advantage.

The good side is that we are protecting the health of our returning world medalists.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I never said Gilman had a bye. Gilman beat Fix last year handily. This year he lost to Fix. One year. Dieringer got teched by Dake a year or so ago, and is a point or two inferior now. A lot can change in a year, and without everyone running through the same tournament, we are advantaging someone for their accomplishments perhaps a year ago. We may not be sending our best guys on internationally with the advantage.

The good side is that we are protecting the health of our returning world medalists.

It's an advantage but less so since they went to two days. They used to have to wrestle it all in one day and could end up facing a fresh dude in the finals. Now, the guy sitting has to weigh in on both days as well I believe.

Reactions: TarpHawk
For the record, Drew Pearson most definitely DID push off on Nate Wright. Still in my craw all these years later.
The original Hail Mary pass I believe! Worst day of my life at that time [I was 12] and yes he ABSOLUTELY pushed off! Still hate the cowboys because of that play!

Reactions: depelland
Wow. I actually like Vincenzo from interviews and podcasts hes been on, but if he cant see the vast difference between his Fargo match and a Final X best of 3 match he is an absolute idiot. What a dumb comparison.

Don't worry, man, he knows the difference. He saw an opportunity to make a joke while backing his guy and went for it. Good humor requires only a grain of truth . . .

Reactions: Jaybird319
Sorry for reopening wounds of the original Hail Mary. Pains me to this day. And Gary f’n Anderson. Anyway, can’t wait for this event. A couple of the matches with future Hawks are worth the price and I hope there is a great turnout.

Don't worry, man, he knows the difference. He saw an opportunity to make a joke while backing his guy and went for it. Good humor requires only a grain of truth . . .
Thats good humor? Vincenzo knows good humor and no one was in stitches or even slightly giggling over his comparison I am sure. I could see a Cornell wrestler responding with that quote in irony to show how this is obviously a much bigger deal now and not the same at all, but for Vincenzo to say it in humor doesnt really make sense unless he is making fun of Bo. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
At the end of the day I believe we all want both wrestlers to be given a fair shot at winning and in my opinion that didn't happen. I would like to believe that no matter who is wrestling! I am actually a fan of Zain and have nothing against his teammates sticking up for their guy, but I think this is the correct outcome. Although I am ok with these guys I still can't stand PSU fwiw!!:mad:
I love the PSU guys once they graduate. Lol

Thats good humor? Vincenzo knows good humor and no one was in stitches or even slightly giggling over his comparison I am sure. I could see a Cornell wrestler responding with that quote in irony to show how this is obviously a much bigger deal now and not the same at all, but for Vincenzo to say it in humor doesnt really make sense unless he is making fun of Bo. Am I missing something here?

I think you might be taking his tweet a bit too seriously. It was hyperbole, another common ingredient in humor. He's making fun of the system. I chuckled.

Reactions: andegre

Chief - didn't Zain "win" in this ruling? The Arbiter, ruled that the match is void. Therefore, I interpret that as Yianni should've won the match but not for an "untimely" and/or unallowable challenge that flipped the score. Alternatively stated, Zain should've lost and and the series should probably be 1-1. I think that is a "win" for Zain.

I don't have a dog in this fight either but I'm happy with the fair outcome.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Chief - didn't Zain "win" in this ruling? The Arbiter, ruled that the match is void. Therefore, I interpret that as Yianni should've won the match but not for an "untimely" and/or unallowable challenge that flipped the score. Alternatively stated, Zain should've lost and and the series should probably be 1-1. I think that is a "win" for Zain.

I don't have a dog in this fight either but I'm happy with the fair outcome.

I agree with the outcome, but not sure about your logic. I don't know how Zain can "win" here since he has to re-wrestle a match he "won" and could very well lose his WT spot.

ADVERTISEMENT