ADVERTISEMENT

Arbitrator Rules In Favor of Yianni

I'm good with the best wrestler representing the USA. Yanni is other wordly... But I'm not fine with courts making the deciding. This sucks that a court several months later decides the winner. Should have been determined right there ...that day. If it was opposite and Zain petitioned courts...I'd feel the same way. Whatever it takes.....GET the courts out of sports.

Imagine it happening during game 7 of the World Series of a strike 3 call that was actually a ball...or if your Canadian..the last match for the Canadian Curling Championship.

Imagine this...wrestler A wins the National Championship and puts his team ahead by 2 points, which is all it takes to win the Team National Championships. Wrestler B petitions the courts and 2 months later they negate the match for whatever reason (right or wrong). Now we don't have a National Champion at a weight and no team champion yet....2 Months later. Now both wrestlers are now walking around 20 pounds over weight and have to start cutting. Since both wrestler A and wrestler B need time heal (weight issue) and both want to wrestle in Spain as a warm up....we set the wrestle off for August. For the March National Championship team and individual at that weight.

Except the courts didn't decide who won the match. As a matter of fact, nobody won the match. What they decided was that the challenge was invalid and should not have been accepted, and we shouldn't have scenarios where one wrestler believes he's winning for the last 45 seconds of the match and then have that changed after the match is over and he has no chance to respond.

I agree with the outcome, but not sure about your logic. I don't know how Zain can "win" here since he has to re-wrestle a match he "won" and could very well lose his WT spot.

He wins because he's not tied 1-1 like he should be, since the challenge was invalid for the sequence in question. He wins because he only has to win 1 of 2 matches, while Yianni has to win 2 of 2.

I agree with ya Vak. It was the right call to say the challenge shouldn't have ever been entertained. Therefore it should go on as it was 1-1. Its a bit sad that they ruled to basically "throw Zain a bone" because they felt bad for saying they had no grounds to allow the challenge and committed a "make up call for Zain".

Now all that being said what is going to be funny is when Yianni takes the 2 matches because from what I was watching that day is that Zain was looking good and Yianni wasnt quite on. It would have been in Zain's best interest to not challenge and wrestle that 3rd place match because I would have likely favored Zain that day. But Cael messed up and karma is coming. Yianni is clearly the better of the 2 and I dont see him being lets say "off" again. Deep down PSU fan knows it and it hurts and this is why they still cry when Zain is even given this gift.

I am a definite Yianni fan this time because I think he got screwed in "winning" the court decision. The appropriate ruling was made regarding the rules and fairness being trampled in the original decision, but if the ruling was that the challenge should not have been accepted, that would mean that Yianni won the match and the next match should be winner takes all instead of Yianni having to win first to be in the place that he should be.

Reactions: AFHawk86 and el dub
I believe the UWW rulebook says a score cannot be changed once it’s final. The only option was to throw the match out and rewrestle it because the only thing that Cornell could hang their hat on was referee conduct...which is in the same section under protest. Too lazy to look it up.

Reactions: Tcalumet
I think they made the correct and most fair ruling in having them re-wrestle the match. Remember the sequence that was in question was scored 2 for Yianni by the mat referee, 2 for Zain by the table judge and ultimately scored 2-2 by the chair which was an invalid ruling. Per the rule book the chair has to decide either 2 Yianni or 2 Zain or call for a consultation to figure it out, he can not score it 2-2 that is not an option and that was another procedural violation. That's why you can't just say Yianni won match 2 because he would have won due to a procedural violation, no different than Zain winning due to a procedural violation with the untimely challenge. It's a shame it took this long but I think they ultimately got it right.

Last edited:
I think they made the correct and most fair ruling in having them re-wrestle the match. Remember the sequence that was in question was scored 2 for Yianni by the mat referee, 2 for Zain by the table judge and ultimately scored 2-2 by the chair which was an invalid ruling. Per the rule book the chair has to decide either 2 Yianni or 2 Zain or call for a consultation to figure it out, he can not score it 2-2 that is not an option and that was another procedural violation. That's why you can't just say Yianni won match 2 because he would have won due to a procedural violation, no different than Zain winning due to a procedural violation with the untimely challenge. It's a shame it took this long but I think they ultimately got it right.
People seem to miss ( to bias ) the actual error but keep talking about a late towel thrown. Bottom line Zain was the better man that day and won 2 matches to 0. Yanni is the one who caught a break. With that said I do think he wins both matches and represents if Zain is < 100%. We as fans are in a no lose situation Yanni, Zain doesn't matter its 2 guys we all can root for.

People seem to miss ( to bias ) the actual error but keep talking about a late towel thrown. Bottom line Zain was the better man that day and won 2 matches to 0. Yanni is the one who caught a break. With that said I do think he wins both matches and represents if Zain is < 100%. We as fans are in a no lose situation Yanni, Zain doesn't matter its 2 guys we all can root for.

Spinning wheel gots to go round

Reactions: Inthecircle
I'm always in favor of getting things right and I feel they did as good of a job possible here. If the arbitration process deemed Yianni the winner of match 2 it would have been a complete contradiction to the rationale that went into overturning the initial outcome of the match. Like you said I feel like a lot of people are over looking the initial procedural error that made the score 8-6 in favor of Yianni.

Actually no. Refs do make mistakes in error to scoring. That can be subjective. That is why you can immediately throw the brick to protest.

What is not subjective is waiting until the end of the match to throw the brick. You cant debate something that isnt up for debate later outside of the procuderes. There is a human element to being a ref. They aint perfect in any sport. However there is nothing up for debate about the challenge process. You cant go back and review a TD catch from the 3rd QTR after the game regardless if the ref got it wrong. Needs to be addressed then because it dictats the rest of the outcome so you dont know had Zain scored if Yianni doesnt force a scramble for a TD to win in that last minute.

We got robbed as fans because Cael is too dumb too understand a procedure. Hes a little slow being a caveman and all.

Good news is the best man will still win and EVERYONE in wrestling now knows you immediately challenge. IMO a lot of good came out of an unfortunate situation.

We got robbed as fans because Cael is too dumb too understand a procedure. Hes a little slow being a caveman and all.

Ha! Yeah, because dumb people exceed at the highest levels in everything they do...... :confused: You may not like him, but Cael is not dumb.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Ha! Yeah, because dumb people exceed at the highest levels in everything they do...... :confused: You may not like him, but Cael is not dumb.
Maybe not dumb, but he's definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT