ADVERTISEMENT

Arctic air to drive cold deep into the Sunshine State and beyond...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
page-4-5.jpg

A rapidly intensifying storm that is projected to pound parts of the Eastern Seaboard with snow and wind this weekend will also unleash frigid air and send temperatures nosediving as far south as Cuba and the Bahamas. Freezing temperatures could grip areas as far south as the Florida Everglades amid the bitter blast, putting records and crops in jeopardy, AccuWeather forecasters warn. Farther to the north, those who will feel the effects of the storm will also endure icy air in its wake — with dangerous consequences in some areas.

The second half of January has already delivered some waves of cold air to the Southeast, including a couple of frosty nights that extended as far south as northern Florida. Freezing air will surge southward again, but with even more ferocity than any previous cold blast this year. In fact, temperatures could reach the lowest levels in years across some parts of the Southeast.

The cold air will settle into the Southeast from Friday night into Sunday. Temperatures from Mississippi to Georgia and upstate South Carolina will slip into the 20s F Friday night and will be stuck in the 30s for daytime highs Saturday. However, Saturday night is when temperatures in most of the region will take the biggest plunge.

The daily record low for Jan. 30 in Orlando, Florida is 31 degrees set back in 1966. Low temperatures will challenge that reading by dawn Sunday in Orlando, and many outlying areas around the city will plummet into the middle to upper 20s F.

“From 15% to 20% of the citrus groves in the central part of the Florida Peninsula could be below 28 degrees for 2-3 hours Saturday night,” AccuWeather Senior Agricultural Meteorologist Dale Mohler said. Lower temperatures are likely to last longer over the northern parts of the state, while areas farther south are likely to dip below freezing for a brief time.

FlaFreeze26JanNoon.jpg

Temperatures this low can lead to citrus and berry crop damage in the region. AccuWeather forecasters advise frost and freeze mitigation measures to be taken in order to minimize or prevent damage.

Even Miami could have temperatures drop into the 30s, threatening the record for Jan. 30 of 39 degrees also set on the date in 1966.

Marathon, Florida, in the Florida Keys, could fall into the upper 40s Saturday night. Marathon has only fallen below 50 degrees six times in the past 10 years, most recently on Jan. 22, 2020.

The cold won't stop there as it will even make its way into parts of the Caribbean. High temperatures ranging from around 80 to around 90 Friday across Cuba will be replaced with highs in the 60s and lower 70s Sunday. In Havana, Cuba's capital city that lies along the northwestern coast of the island, the high will reach 79 Friday before dipping to 65 Sunday. The normal high for late January is 79 F.

Back across the United States in areas that lie farther north, the air will be even more bitter. Temperatures across much of Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas will crash into the teens. The last time the temperature in Atlanta dropped below 20 degrees was on Jan. 18 of 2018. Even locales as far south as Tallahassee, Florida, could flirt with temperatures in the upper teens Saturday night.

4b.jpg

Along with threatening cold-sensitive crops, temperatures plummeting this far below freezing can also cause pipes to freeze.

Despite plenty of sunshine expected during the day Sunday, high temperatures will still struggle to rebound. Orlando is forecast to be stuck in the mid-50s for a high temperature Sunday, while Miami may just barely reach 60 degrees, which is around 15 degrees below normal for each city.

In Atlanta, Saturday is forecast to be the coldest day of the weekend, with high temperatures failing to get out of the 30s. The normal high temperature in Atlanta in late January is around 55 degrees.

Iguanas will be falling out of the trees! Orange juice futures will skyrocket! Cats and dogs sleeping together! Mass hysteria!

• Wow
Reactions: Ole Jim and h-hawk
Oh, and nobody down here knows how to protect pipes, either. Plumbers will have lots of business next week.

I see the highs forecasted for the weekend on Marco Island are 57 and 58. The lows are projected to be 38 and 41. They will not be good beach days. Winds from the northwest at 20 to 30 mph with gusts over 40 mph on Saturday.

I was on a zoom meeting with some people on Marco yesterday. It was 60 degrees and
they had scheduled it outdoors in a Tiki Hut. They kept it there and they were saying they are just freezing to death,

Edit: I am in Iowa. Have not made it down there.this winter yet. Too much to do up here and life has got in the way.

People in Iowa don't give a poop. Doesn't most of our citrus come from Brazil anyways? Have fun catching iguanas from trees.

Reactions: BlIIlken2
I see the highs forecasted for the weekend on Marco Island are 57 and 58. The lows are projected to be 38 and 41. They will not be good beach days. Winds from the northwest at 20 to 30 mph with gusts over 40 mph on Saturday.

I was on a zoom meeting with some people on Marco yesterday. It was 60 degrees and
they had scheduled it outdoors in a Tiki Hut. They kept it there and they were saying they are just freezing to death,

It was a damp 60 degrees today. Gets down into your bones.

Silver lining: an event like this makes hunting for invasive snakes much easier. They'll come out of hiding and lay on the roads trying to keep warm. Easy pickings...

Reactions: h-hawk and GOHOX69
Reactions: globalhawk
Hopefully this won't kill as many fish as died in the Keys area in early 2010 during the cold spell when Iowa beat GT in the Orange Bowl...

Oh, and nobody down here knows how to protect pipes, either. Plumbers will have lots of business next week.
The problem goes way beyond that. People in the south keep their washing machines on their porch. When it freezes their hoses will burst. (Trust me, we've seen it happen over and over from a manufacturing point of view). The problem right now, is there is a material supply problem in making washing machine hose. Raw material for rubber compound as well as reinforcement yarn, all of which come from the south BTW.

So PSA, if you are in the path of this and your washing machine is in danger of being frozen, please shut you water off to it and disconnect the hose. Your replacement may be months away.

Gonna be 25 at my house Sunday morning. The fuzzy socks and flannel jammies gonna get a workout.
I still have a heavy jacket I’ve kept from when we lived in Michigan. And my Wal Mart mittens. I’ll be fine. 🥶

Gonna be 25 at my house Sunday morning. The fuzzy socks and flannel jammies gonna get a workout.
I still have a heavy jacket I’ve kept from when we lived in Michigan. And my Wal Mart mittens. I’ll be fine. 🥶

When I walked out on the porch first thing Monday morning, the thermometer on the wall gauged a smidgen under 40 degrees. A temperature Floridians greet with disbelief.

We forgive our state a lot because winters are light and playful — just an occasional cool day to remind us of what people elsewhere live with for months on end.

In exchange for a narrow range of average temperatures, we endure wacky politics that everyone else in the nation makes fun of, an on-the-go criminal element that everyone else in the nation makes fun of, underfunded schools, out-of-control growth, hurricanes, sinkholes, lightning strikes and sharks, bears and alligators that show up at unwelcome places and times. And on cold days, watch out! Iguanas are falling from the trees! We are the Sunshine State — not the Safety State, certainly not the Mental Health State.

So when temperatures drop below 40 degrees, it feels like somebody is not living up to the terms of the contract. Excited Floridians post pictures of frosted lawns and windshields on social media just to prove to each other that this terrible thing is really happening to us.

On days like this, I miss working at a bustling office instead of at home. Because people who move to Florida gradually lose the ability to dress for colder weather — and it was always a mystery to natives — it’s fun to watch how people dress for a cold snap: The boots, the knit hats with a pom-pom on top, the heavy jackets that fit only three or four years ago…. The office is closed for COVID so I content myself with going to the supermarket or hardware store for no good reason.

I grew up here so all I know about cold weather dress is what I’ve seen on TV. This is common. Which is why when temperatures reach 40 or below, you will see people bundled with scarfs, hats and the kind of skiwear we noticed in Hallmark Channel Christmas movies.

Cold-weather clothing lasts a long time here since it’s worn only one or two weeks out of the year and as a result you’ll see a lot of vintage clothing on display this week — jackets with ‘80s shoulder-pads, funky hippie sweaters, boots and shawls, old-school biker black leather and the puffiest of puffy jackets. We dress for the heat but costume for the cold. This can make a line at Publix look like a backlot full of extras waiting to go on camera on different sets.

Me, I tend toward cold-weather denialism. I always suspect it will warm up in an hour and refuse to commit to anything too thick or dramatic. I feel I’ve done most of my part by wearing socks.

I’ve noticed that fellow underdressers will oftentimes wear a single, carefully curated piece of winter clothing along with their usual outfit. I see girls wearing earmuffs and shorts, guys with hats with ear flaps along with Hawaiian shirts, lots of ski jackets with flip-flops, and knit hats with T-shirts. Ensembles that prove you’re in the spirit of things but can be safely tossed off as soon as the sun comes out and everything heats up.

But this was a longer spell of cold and I had to dig deep into the far recesses of the closet and boxes stored under the bed for sweaters and hoodies with college logos for institutions nobody in the family had visited since the Bush administration.

When people in snowy climes chortle at my reaction to 40-degree weather, I remind them that this is a damp and windy cold. A cold so severe that my beach walking time was easily cut in half. Sadly, this silences nobody. Even when you solemnly cite a weather report’s “feels like” temperature that starts with a “3”. No exaggeration!

No matter. I’m bundled up and will contend with comes next. Even if it hiking around town in weather so unbelievable the highs were in the 50s. Damp 50s.

And remember: When calculating the “feels like” temperature for a Floridian, always subtract 10 from whatever the weather announcer says.

The MIL just called the wife. She's in Fort Myers Beach for the Winter, and she called to complain about how cold it is down there.

page-4-5.jpg

A rapidly intensifying storm that is projected to pound parts of the Eastern Seaboard with snow and wind this weekend will also unleash frigid air and send temperatures nosediving as far south as Cuba and the Bahamas. Freezing temperatures could grip areas as far south as the Florida Everglades amid the bitter blast, putting records and crops in jeopardy, AccuWeather forecasters warn. Farther to the north, those who will feel the effects of the storm will also endure icy air in its wake — with dangerous consequences in some areas.

The second half of January has already delivered some waves of cold air to the Southeast, including a couple of frosty nights that extended as far south as northern Florida. Freezing air will surge southward again, but with even more ferocity than any previous cold blast this year. In fact, temperatures could reach the lowest levels in years across some parts of the Southeast.

The cold air will settle into the Southeast from Friday night into Sunday. Temperatures from Mississippi to Georgia and upstate South Carolina will slip into the 20s F Friday night and will be stuck in the 30s for daytime highs Saturday. However, Saturday night is when temperatures in most of the region will take the biggest plunge.

The daily record low for Jan. 30 in Orlando, Florida is 31 degrees set back in 1966. Low temperatures will challenge that reading by dawn Sunday in Orlando, and many outlying areas around the city will plummet into the middle to upper 20s F.

“From 15% to 20% of the citrus groves in the central part of the Florida Peninsula could be below 28 degrees for 2-3 hours Saturday night,” AccuWeather Senior Agricultural Meteorologist Dale Mohler said. Lower temperatures are likely to last longer over the northern parts of the state, while areas farther south are likely to dip below freezing for a brief time.

FlaFreeze26JanNoon.jpg

Temperatures this low can lead to citrus and berry crop damage in the region. AccuWeather forecasters advise frost and freeze mitigation measures to be taken in order to minimize or prevent damage.

Even Miami could have temperatures drop into the 30s, threatening the record for Jan. 30 of 39 degrees also set on the date in 1966.

Marathon, Florida, in the Florida Keys, could fall into the upper 40s Saturday night. Marathon has only fallen below 50 degrees six times in the past 10 years, most recently on Jan. 22, 2020.

The cold won't stop there as it will even make its way into parts of the Caribbean. High temperatures ranging from around 80 to around 90 Friday across Cuba will be replaced with highs in the 60s and lower 70s Sunday. In Havana, Cuba's capital city that lies along the northwestern coast of the island, the high will reach 79 Friday before dipping to 65 Sunday. The normal high for late January is 79 F.

Back across the United States in areas that lie farther north, the air will be even more bitter. Temperatures across much of Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas will crash into the teens. The last time the temperature in Atlanta dropped below 20 degrees was on Jan. 18 of 2018. Even locales as far south as Tallahassee, Florida, could flirt with temperatures in the upper teens Saturday night.

4b.jpg

Along with threatening cold-sensitive crops, temperatures plummeting this far below freezing can also cause pipes to freeze.

Despite plenty of sunshine expected during the day Sunday, high temperatures will still struggle to rebound. Orlando is forecast to be stuck in the mid-50s for a high temperature Sunday, while Miami may just barely reach 60 degrees, which is around 15 degrees below normal for each city.

In Atlanta, Saturday is forecast to be the coldest day of the weekend, with high temperatures failing to get out of the 30s. The normal high temperature in Atlanta in late January is around 55 degrees.

Iguanas will be falling out of the trees! Orange juice futures will skyrocket! Cats and dogs sleeping together! Mass hysteria!
Hide yo tomatoes and lettuce, Trad!

Reactions: seminoleed
Hide yo tomatoes and lettuce, Trad!

I have terrible luck with lettuce so I stopped trying to grow that years ago.

The fall tomatoes are done but the spring seedlings are nice and warm in the house under the lights! They go in the ground around March 1st.

I'm more worried about my two-year-old Sugar Belle tangelo tree. That will need to be covered.

The older citrus trees should be okay. The harvest is over for the unknown variety tangerine tree that was on the property before I bought Tradition Manor.

I'll put a mister on the Rhode Red Valencia orange tree to keep the fruit from freezing.

I have terrible luck with lettuce so I stopped trying to grow that years ago.

The fall tomatoes are done but the spring seedlings are nice and warm in the house under the lights! They go in the ground around March 1st.

I'm more worried about my two-year-old Sugar Belle tangelo tree. That will need to be covered.

The older citrus trees should be okay. The harvest is over for the unknown variety tangerine tree that was on the property before I bought Tradition Manor.

I'll put a mister on the Rhode Red Valencia orange tree to keep the fruit from freezing.
What ended up being your favorite variety of tomatoe last year?

We have pipes on the outside of our Key West house... Very common. The Conch Train previously would stop in front of our house and point them out to the chuckling tourists from the great white north.

page-4-5.jpg

FlaFreeze26JanNoon.jpg

4b.jpg

If you just borrowed trumps black sharpie you could just move that cold front line back up to the Mason-Dixon Line.

Reactions: seminole97
ADVERTISEMENT