ADVERTISEMENT

Are ISU fan's still bragging about their viewership numbers?

Week 1 vs Indiana according to thus link was the 21st most watched game week 1.

4 million seems like a solid but expected result. A quick look will tell you this is a number Iowa can get and beat with good B1G matchups each year. A quick look will also tell you ISU may never get a number like that again unless they find themselves in the Big 12 championship, even then they'd need very very generous viewership.

Having the act-Hawk game on ABC vs BTN for the Iowa Indiana game creates opportunities for more viewers that ISU fans should be able to understand since all their games are regulated to the Longhorn network or Cyclone network or B12 channel. Oh, that’s right, there are neither of those last two. Ouch. Maybe their games will be shown on the Ocho or ESPN+, maybe one of the Fox channels or MSNBC. Really ouch if you are a Clone fan. LoL.

Given ISU's miserable showing last Saturday, high viewership was the worst possible scenario for their program.

Now, Merica knows what Hawk fans have known for decades.

Oh well... they'll always have the Covid season to say they didn't lose to Iowa.

Given ISU's miserable showing last Saturday, high viewership was the worst possible scenario for their program.

Oh well... they'll always have the Covid season to say they didn't lose to Iowa.
Yep. They pushed all their chips onto the middle of the table and lost. Now it is all damage control

I came here to say that. Their coach gave up. Their players gave up. Their fans gave up. And 4M people saw that on national TV, yikes! This ending was WAY worse than 2019.

Reactions: Ree4 and MitchLL

In their eyes they have only lost to Iowa 'one year in a row'

Reactions: MitchLL
I came here to say that. Their coach gave up. Their players gave up. Their fans gave up. And 4M people saw that on national TV, yikes! This ending was WAY worse than 2019.
The ending in 2019 resembled something from a "Bloopers" video. The 2021 loss by ISU was slow and painful, kind of like bleeding to death from a knife cut.

Both were embarrassing, tho.

I seriously think the combination of Saturday's brutal beatdown in Ames and the very real possibility that they'll be a G6 program in a few years has some of them in a really bad place. They're going full scorched earth with the racism thing. Genuinely feel for some of them, they're hurting.

The ending in 2019 resembled something from a "Bloopers" video. The 2021 loss by ISU was slow and painful, kind of like bleeding to death from a knife cut.

Both were embarrassing, tho.
Both were indeed, but I'd much rather lose in a "fluke" turnover than the way they did on Saturday. That loss spoke volumes about their program and fans.

Reactions: MitchLL
Beating Iowa has been, and always will be, very important to ISU. Recruiting is the life blood of college sports, and ISU needs to do better with Iowa kids. Beating Iowa consistently will help there.

Having said that, ISU can still accomplish another goal by winning the Big 12. I guess if I had to choose, Of course I would choose beating Iowa AND winning the Big 12. If I had to choose one, I would say win the Big 12. I won't lie though, losing to Iowa (especially so soundly) sucks.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Week 1 vs Indiana according to thus link was the 21st most watched game week 1.

So some simple number crunching for the 2019 season:
Iowa and ISU each had ten games listed

Iowa-20.04 total viewers or 2.0 mil average
ISU 9.629 total viewers or 963K average

If we are being honest, the 5.02 mil viewers for Iowa's game were predominantly Michigan fans similar to the 3.17 mil who watched the OU/ISU game.
Iowa's lowest game was 529K against MTSU on The Deuce.
ISU's lowest total was 159K (yikes!) against ULM on FS1.
So, twice as many viewers saw Iowa play compared to ISU in 2019. That is not the narrative Pollard's Chimp was peddling before it got the ban hammer.

Reactions: iafan44
So some simple number crunching for the 2019 season:
Iowa and ISU each had ten games listed

Iowa-20.04 total viewers or 2.0 mil average
ISU 9.629 total viewers or 963K average

If we are being honest, the 5.02 mil viewers for Iowa's game were predominantly Michigan fans similar to the 3.17 mil who watched the OU/ISU game.
Iowa's lowest game was 529K against MTSU on The Deuce.
ISU's lowest total was 159K (yikes!) against ULM on FS1.
So, twice as many viewers saw Iowa play compared to ISU in 2019. That is not the narrative Pollard's Chimp was peddling before it got the ban hammer.
Pivot tables were not available for that data. For some reason the poster who was so thorough on the 2020 information has disappeared from here. Do we think a wellness check is needed for that poster?

Now the narrative will change to "the real prize is a Big12 title".

Or........".We beat UNI"!
But at least they sold out both games. I like how after game on CF talking about how Iowa has diminishing results at kinnick. Even though IU game had 1000 from sellout and psu announced sellout. Or fact kinnick has 8K more seats and we avg far greater than their max capacity.

Last edited:
Pivot tables were not available for that data. For some reason the poster who was so thorough on the 2020 information has disappeared from here. Do we think a wellness check is needed for that poster?

Was it CyRail or the Chimp? I believe the Chimp got the ban hammer for stinking up the Patterson commit thread. He will be back with a new name if the Clowns win tomorrow or whenever Iowa loses.

Was it CyRail or the Chimp? I believe the Chimp got the ban hammer for stinking up the Patterson commit thread. He will be back with a new name if the Clowns win tomorrow or whenever Iowa loses.
ISU's situation after the Hawk beatdown can be compared to eating "crumbs off the floor" after everyone has gone to the entertainment room to watch football on Thanksgiving Day.

Beating UNLV/Kansas/Texas Tech doesn't erase the stench of Saturday's pounding.

Beating Iowa has been, and always will be, very important to ISU. Recruiting is the life blood of college sports, and ISU needs to do better with Iowa kids. Beating Iowa consistently will help there.

Having said that, ISU can still accomplish another goal by winning the Big 12. I guess if I had to choose, Of course I would choose beating Iowa AND winning the Big 12. If I had to choose one, I would say win the Big 12. I won't lie though, losing to Iowa (especially so soundly) sucks.
I agree with you on that. You tell me in 02’ beat isu and go 9-3 with out big 10 title or still lose and go undefeated rest of the year I’d take 11-1 and big 10 champs every day of the week. I think game is huge because you look at the seasons since 02’ and years we have lost to isu iowa has had a lot of their poor to mediocre seasons. Lot of 7 win teams and 2 of KF worst seasons (not counting first 2 years) in 07’ and 12’.

But at least they sold out both games. I like how after game on CF talking about how Iowa has diminishing results at kinnick. Even though IU game had 1000 from sellout and psu announced sellout. Or fact kinnick has 8 more seats and we avg far greater than their max capacity.

ISU fans rag on Iowa for only 68k at the Indiana game, while ISU has never had more than 61,500 in the history of their program.

And that number only comes to watch Iowa. 🙂
It's actually pretty funny to see the Wiki for Jack Trice. They sellout so seldom that they actually have a list of sellout crowds. 8/10 are for Iowa or UNI. The only other two games are against OSU. This is dating back to 2015 when they expanded. The old numbers pre-expansion had the trend of 80-90% of their sellouts being for UNI/Iowa as well.

If they've pre-sold out of any other games this season I have not heard about it. During their biggest season ever. That's just sad. Must be waiting to see how the crops are doing before getting tickets late in the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Trice_Stadium

I think it was psyclone with LC providing support.

The clowns lost their game of the century. On ESPN Gameday, on national TV. And it wasn't that close.

If they were Japanese they would already have pulled out their suicide sword. Very important, I DO NOT SUGGEST THAT.

Game of the Century, heck it's only 2021. In only 80 years they will have another chance.

Only because I've been tracking this all season for all teams, and we could all use a laugh after last week, for those interested in total viewers through 7 weeks:

IOWA: 17.2 million total viewers
ISU: 6.77 million total viewers (over half from the Iowa game alone)

ISU's game against OK State on Fox this week should be pretty revealing about how the new "top dogs" of the Big 12 will garner interest. Don't hold your breath for big numbers.

Only because I've been tracking this all season for all teams, and we could all use a laugh after last week, for those interested in total viewers through 7 weeks:

ISU's game against OK State on Fox this week should be pretty revealing about how the new "top dogs" of the Big 12 will garner interest. Don't hold your breath for big numbers.
Pivot table or it didn’t happen. Some poster who was pretty bold, brash and confident made that rule. That poster has been fairly conspicuous with their absence since the 2020* numbers have been shown to be an outlier. Perhaps LC can do a wellness check on the poster?

The numbers may be higher than usual as there aren’t many good games this week. Wisconsin vs Purdue? Oregon vs UCLA? Maybe.

I'm fairly certain more people saw the Iowa-Penn State game than have seen the Clones' 6 games combined. I'm sure the the Oklahoma schools and Texas game will show a bit of an uptick, but there's no way they come close to catching us in total viewers unless Iowa doesn't play another game.

This may all be for naught though. We'll have to wait until the pivot table bears it all out for us. Maybe the Penn State game won't count since it was a 3:00 kick and not a traditional start time.

Pivot table or it didn’t happen. Some poster who was pretty bold, brash and confident made that rule. That poster has been fairly conspicuous with their absence since the 2020* numbers have been shown to be an outlier. Perhaps LC can do a wellness check on the poster?
Probably still working on his spreadsheet.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawklad24
The numbers may be higher than usual as there aren’t many good games this week. Wisconsin vs Purdue? Oregon vs UCLA? Maybe.

Just guesswork, but based on what I've seen/compiled all year, Oregon/UCLA and LSU/Ole Miss are gonna draw more viewers no question. Clemson against a ranked Pitt should also draw more viewers.

These are all national broadcasts at the same exact time ISU plays.

2 million tuned into see ISU/Baylor. That was when ISU still had plenty of eyes and a high ranking against an undefeated promising Baylor team.

ADVERTISEMENT