ADVERTISEMENT

Are some of you going to be OK next Wednesday?

There isn't much that he understands other than back up the lies of the maga scum.
Meh. I’m going to keep at him. I’m genuinely curious how determined he is to maintain this set of easily objectively-provable outright falsehoods.

Pella is economically robust due to Pella windows and Vermeer manufacturing.
And its relative ease to the access of DSM area is a huge plus…again dandh, I refer to the WSJ article that illustrated the plight of Pella (small town) in its search for administrative talent ….in particular Pella Corp and the things the town (and Pella Corp and Vermeers) are doing to attract talent and to keep them relevant. They can get a lot of this talent to move to DSM….to move to and live in “small town Iowa” is a lot tougher, but the ease of a DSM access makes this a lot easier. Many of the key positions at Pella Corp are being filled this way…..and many Central College faculty live in DSM< and commute to Pella daily for the same reason.

And its relative ease to the access of DSM area is a huge plus…again dandh, I refer to the WSJ article that illustrated the plight of Pella (small town) in its search for administrative talent ….in particular Pella Corp and the things the town (and Pella Corp and Vermeers) are doing to attract talent and to keep them relevant. They can get a lot of this talent to move to DSM….to move to and live in “small town Iowa” is a lot tougher, but the ease of a DSM access makes this a lot easier. Many of the key positions at Pella Corp are being filled this way…..and many Central College faculty live in DSM< and commute to Pella daily for the same reason.
That does not make it part of the Des Moines metro. Knoxville is about the same distance and has 3M, but is not nearly as prosperous. Pella would be fine if it was even further away.

That does not make it part of the Des Moines metro. Knoxville is about the same distance and has 3M, but is not nearly as prosperous. Pella would be fine if it was even further away.
That's 'cause a lot of 3M execs live on the Pella side of the dam....You know at one time, 3M made it a "requirement" of their execs they live "in Knoxville"...as many were choosing to live on the other side of the dam and driving the 12 miles.
(Of course Knoxville has that "non-compete" clause with Pella when it comes to the race track and court house......)

"You're lucky you got the 2%." - Kim Reynolds to a small town superintendent when he told her that they weren't receiving enough funding. I love the small town communities but she isn't doing nearly enough to help keep some of those schools in small towns up and running. It's really sad when they close schools.
Complain to your legislators as they set the budget. And I agree, these schools should get more money with the surplus the state currently has. Kids are our future as you know and we should do everything we can to make their education the best it can be.

Do you really think a 40-45 commute is super long? In many areas of the country, that is quite low, especially given the relative lack of traffic (as noted, there's a whole lot of nothing in the 40 miles between Pella and Des Moines).

I commuted 50 miles to Iowa City and back for three years and never found it to be that big of a deal.

While I don't think Pella is "part" of the Des Moines metro area, it certainly is well within reasonable commuting distance.
So the Quad Cities are a part of Iowa City or Vice versa?

Reactions: dandh
So the Quad Cities are a part of Iowa City or Vice versa?
I was talking about economic/industrial areas of affluence in Iowa. This conversation has morphed into something else. My original thought was that Pella is closely related to tge DSM/Ames economic corridor….Pella is an easy 40 minute drive from DSM and gas benefitted greatly from its proximity to DSM… and then I referenced the WSJ article about Pella and its corporate struggles to attract “talent” to small town Iowa.

Reactions: torbee
This is true too. I still think that if Republicans take the House, one, it will be a shitshow again for 2 years with about 9 impeachments lead by MTG, but also with what's happening at the lower levels we won't be seeing another Democrat in the White House in my lifetime. Because even though there are more of us, our votes won't count.
So Joes got no shot in 24?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT