ADVERTISEMENT

Are some of you going to be OK next Wednesday?

So now you've said what 75% of Iowas population is thriving. Earlier you said Iowa was dieing. Nobody in Sioux County would attribute any of their success to Sioux City. Most of Sioux city is a dump.
Well, I leave "the numbers" up to you....but I know where Iowa seems to be doing fine and it i limited greatly to the areas I mentioned....most of (rural) Iowa struggles mightily and is a comparative shitbox. I would doubt that "area-wise" the ares I mention make up 10% of Iowa's land.

Pretty sure that Iowa is still growing in population. Now look at the state to the east to see population loss...Illinois must not have any major cities or fancy jobs.
WRONG

Again...the Quad Cities, CR/IC corridor, the DSM/Ames corridor and Sioux City area...draw 30 mile circles around Quad Cities and Sioux City, DSM and Cedar Rapids and you got pretty much most of the good areas of Iowa. You might miss a couple of others but smaller areas.
( I would consider Pella in the DSM area and Sioux County in the Sioux City area. )
Pella is not in the Des Moines area.

Reactions: JMSBFD
Well, I leave "the numbers" up to you....but I know where Iowa seems to be doing fine and it i limited greatly to the areas I mentioned....most of (rural) Iowa struggles mightily and is a comparative shitbox. I would doubt that "area-wise" the ares I mention make up 10% of Iowa's land.
What areas are you referring too? Yes, small towns across Iowa are dying out and being turned back into farmland while other small towns are doing well, investing in their schools and healthcare by building new or adding onto existing facilities. I don’t think it’s as bad as you think it is.

But I don’t think it’s as good as it could be. I’m a conservative and cringe at the things Reynolds and Grassley say and do by standing with Trump or Reynolds isolating trans kids with her statement. We need politicians bringing people together and improving our schools snd natural resources by investing in them to make them and the state the best it can be by being open to all people regardless of race, gender, or political views.

Really?
In today’s world, it certainly is. Lots of commuters going both ways. The 4 lane makes it less than an hour commute. It is an easy 45 mins from my house in Urbandale to Jaarsma’s and Int Velt’s.
It’s 25 minutes from my house to the DSM airport.

Pella's 40 miles from Des Moines with nothing between. You're just wrong.

Pella's 40 miles from Des Moines with nothing between. You're just wrong.
Exactly...Pella is part (outer reaches) of the DSM Metroplex.... that was the thinking when they(the state) made #163 4 lanes 20some years ago....it’s an easy commute....you ought to read the article in the WSJ from a couple of months ago referencing this. Lots of Pella, Newton and Marshalltown folks working in DSM, too.

Lol...you don't even know it.
Holy shit, you actually got something correct. You're right I don't know it, I've never been emotionally fragile and I don't have what it takes to be a coward.
I'm not afraid of my own shadow and I'm not on some message board spouting HOLY SHIT THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME!!!

Exactly...Pella is part (outer reaches) of the DSM Metroplex.... that was the thinking when they(the state) made #163 4 lanes 20some years ago....it’s an easy commute....you ought to read the article in the WSJ from a couple of months ago referencing this. Lots of Pella, Newton and Marshalltown folks working in DSM, too.
Jeebus, Joel. So in your world Newton and Knoxville are part of the "Des Moines metroplex", too, as they're both closer to DM than Pella. LOL...It's a small city, not Chicago.

Explain burn.
Pictures help the teacher

200723171520-13-week-in-photos-0724-super-tease.jpg

Lol the loser who has been caught at least three times and admitting to having alt handles continues to spread baseless lies about others.
I spread baseless lies? Are you really going to do this?

You have claimed that I express support for white supremacy. There’s zero evidence of this.

You have claimed that I express antisemitic sentiments and that I hate Jews. There’s zero evidence of this.

You have claimed that I express disfavor of Buddhism and that my feelings against Buddhism are rooted in racism. There is zero evidence of this.

You have claimed that I have admitted to deleting lots of posts. There is zero evidence of this.

You live in an ever-changing alternate reality where nothing you say matters, you believe that whatever you say is true simply because you said it — kinda Trump-like in this manner — and you bear zero accountability to defend your made up accusations and claims.

Yes, I created some other handles, without question. And it was fun for a while. But nobody ever “caught” me. I never tried to hide it, rather I made it plainly obvious.

Why would you think I was “caught”? Who “caught” me?

All this is, again, amusing given you claimed to pay little attention to me. Yet you seem to being paying very close attention.

An ever-changing, ever-self-affirming alternate reality.

It’s really interesting to observe.

Should we all be a pussy like you & click ignore to people we disagree with?
I don't have anyone blocked outside of ciggy because of his previous volume. I have zero problem having conversations with people that want them. Some of the posters on here can't control their emotions.

Jeebus, Joel. So in your world Newton and Knoxville are part of the "Des Moines metroplex", too, as they're both closer to DM than Pella. LOL...It's a small city, not Chicago.
According to his definition about 90% of Iowa's population lives in a "metro" area. There is an area Northwest of Fort Dodge and between Shenandoah and Mt. Ayr that can be excluded from "metro" Iowa. So now we know where the poors live in Iowa.

Reactions: dandh
Technically Pella is part of the Des Moines micropolitan area, not the Des Moines metro area.

Reactions: notlongago
I don't have anyone blocked outside of ciggy because of his previous volume. I have zero problem having conversations with people that want them. Some of the posters on here can't control their emotions.
Read your posts in this thread. Not sure you’re one to judge.

I spread baseless lies? Are you really going to do this?

You have claimed that I express support for white supremacy. There’s zero evidence of this.

You have claimed that I express antisemitic sentiments and that I hate Jews. There’s zero evidence of this.

You have claimed that I express disfavor of Buddhism and that my feelings against Buddhism are rooted in racism. There is zero evidence of this.

You have claimed that I have admitted to deleting lots of posts. There is zero evidence of this.

You live in an ever-changing alternate reality where nothing you say matters, you believe that whatever you say is true simply because you said it — kinda Trump-like in this manner — and you bear zero accountability to defend your made up accusations and claims.

Yes, I created some other handles, without question. And it was fun for a while. But nobody ever “caught” me. I never tried to hide it, rather I made it plainly obvious.

Why would you think I was “caught”? Who “caught” me?

All this is, again, amusing given you claimed to pay little attention to me. Yet you seem to being paying very close attention.

An ever-changing, ever-self-affirming alternate reality.

It’s really interesting to observe.
Nice whataboutNC5ism.

What areas are you referring too? Yes, small towns across Iowa are dying out and being turned back into farmland while other small towns are doing well, investing in their schools and healthcare by building new or adding onto existing facilities. I don’t think it’s as bad as you think it is.

But I don’t think it’s as good as it could be. I’m a conservative and cringe at the things Reynolds and Grassley say and do by standing with Trump or Reynolds isolating trans kids with her statement. We need politicians bringing people together and improving our schools snd natural resources by investing in them to make them and the state the best it can be by being open to all people regardless of race, gender, or political views.
"You're lucky you got the 2%." - Kim Reynolds to a small town superintendent when he told her that they weren't receiving enough funding. I love the small town communities but she isn't doing nearly enough to help keep some of those schools in small towns up and running. It's really sad when they close schools.

Um, not sure you understand whataboutism.

And nice deflection.
It’s not about me- yet you lead with nothing but false claims about me. We were simply discussing your spreadsheet of handles, and somehow my name gets drug through the mud.

It’s not about me- yet you lead with nothing but false claims about me. We were simply discussing your spreadsheet of handles, and somehow my name gets drug through the mud.
Nope. None of those claims are false. And it is absolutely about you. You have attacked my character over and over and never, upon my challenging your attacks, are you able to defend your attacks with actual evidence. Not one single time.

So for you to pass judgment on others with respect to being factual or fair or really anything, well I’ve chosen to call your bullshit and have supported my calling your bullshit with actual fact.

Everything I said about you with respect to me is 100% fact.

You cannot find me expressing antisemitism, support of white supremacy, anti-Buddhism, racism, admission of deleting lots of posts, or hatred of Jews.

You can’t find one piece of evidence to support any of those things you’ve claimed/accused of me.

That’s a fact.

As a job magnet, it is. There are a lot of folks who need the DSM wage/job to afford their small town cost of living. But, we digress. In DSM it is fIr to include towns w/in 30-40 miles as part of it...These folks work in DSM, shop in DSM, entertain in DSM and live in smaller towns in the area.

WRONG

Yes some how they re-ran the numbers and come up with a higher estimate after the fact...though they are not even running those new numbers on their main page

Illinois’ population declined by a record 113,776 residents from July 2020-July 2021, according to estimates released Dec. 21 by the U.S. Census Bureau.

That would the year following the official census numbers, and would not be part of their revision.

As a job magnet, it is. There are a lot of folks who need the DSM wage/job to afford their small town cost of living. But, we digress. In DSM it is fIr to include towns w/in 30-40 miles as part of it...These folks work in DSM, shop in DSM, entertain in DSM and live in smaller towns in the area.
Lots of people from Des Moines come to the Twin Cities to shop, and I know two who worked here. Plus there's a 4- lane road between them So by those metrics I guess Des Moines is part of the Twin Cities metro. The population ratio is roughly the same as Des Moines to Pella, too.

YES, I'm mocking you.

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Lots of people from Des Moines come to the Twin Cities to shop, and I know two who worked here. Plus there's a 4- lane road between them So by those metrics I guess Des Moines is part of the Twin Cities metro. The population ratio is roughly the same as Des Moines to Pella, too.

YES, I'm mocking you.
Do you really think a 40-45 commute is super long? In many areas of the country, that is quite low, especially given the relative lack of traffic (as noted, there's a whole lot of nothing in the 40 miles between Pella and Des Moines).

I commuted 50 miles to Iowa City and back for three years and never found it to be that big of a deal.

While I don't think Pella is "part" of the Des Moines metro area, it certainly is well within reasonable commuting distance.

Do you really think a 40-45 commute is super long? In many areas of the country, that is quite low, especially given the relative lack of traffic (as noted, there's a whole lot of nothing in the 40 miles between Pella and Des Moines).

I commuted 50 miles to Iowa City and back for three years and never found it to be that big of a deal.

While I don't think Pella is "part" of the Des Moines metro area, it certainly is well within reasonable commuting distance.
No, but that doesn't make Knoxville part of the Des Moines metro. I'm in the very outer ring of the Twin Cities metro, and my town is less than 20 miles from St. Paul.

By his definition, Janesville is part of the Madison metro area.

Yes, but It's not part of the Madison metro.
Agreed.

However, I think Joel's overarching point stands: Pella likely would not be quite as economically robust if it were, say, 100 or more miles away from Des Moines rather than 40. That makes quite a big difference.

The more remote and rural, the tougher the economy generally here in the Midwest.

The bigger metro areas serve as hubs for economic activity and towns within 50-75 miles of them derive benefits thereof.

Agreed.

However, I think Joel's overarching point stands: Pella likely would not be quite as economically robust if it were, say, 100 or more miles away from Des Moines rather than 40. That makes quite a big difference.

The more remote and rural, the tougher the economy generally here in the Midwest.

The bigger metro areas serve as hubs for economic activity and towns within 50-75 miles of them derive benefits thereof.
Pella is economically robust due to Pella windows and Vermeer manufacturing.

Reactions: globalhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT