ADVERTISEMENT

Are some wrestlers born to wrestle at Iowa?

mizzoufan90

HR MVP
Dec 9, 2007
People around here still talk about Dan Gable's "Iowa Style" and how it forever changed the sport.

Well, I think my 7-year-old is a future Iowa wrestler. This past weekend, the little warlord wore his body out by hand-fighting till the cows came home.

In 7 matches, he didn't fire a single shot. NOT ONE! During an injury timeout against a kid from Lockport, I asked him:

ME: "Hey hoss, he's leaving that left leg vulnerable. Why don't you fire a high-crotch attempt"

HIM: "Papa, if Alex Marinelli doesn't need to shoot to win, why should I?"

I was absolutely dumbfounded by that response. He proceeds to hand-fight the kid out-of-bounds three more times and won 3-1 due to 3 stalling points. He ended up placing 3rd, but he's a bit chunky for his age. Hoping he sheds the baby fat in the coming years.

Anyways, he's extremely excited for Friday and started a list of top hand-fighters in Iowa history. I'll share later this week after he completes it.

People around here still talk about Dan Gable's "Iowa Style" and how it forever changed the sport.

Well, I think my 7-year-old is a future Iowa wrestler. This past weekend, the little warlord wore his body out by hand-fighting till the cows came home.

In 7 matches, he didn't fire a single shot. NOT ONE! During an injury timeout against a kid from Lockport, I asked him:

ME: "Hey hoss, he's leaving that left leg vulnerable. Why don't you fire a high-crotch attempt"

I was absolutely dumbfounded by that response. He proceeds to hand-fight the kid out-of-bounds three more times and won 3-1 due to 3 stalling points. He ended up placing 3rd, but he's a bit chunky for his age. Hoping he sheds the baby fat in the coming years.

Anyways, he's extremely excited for Friday and started a list of top hand-fighters in Iowa history. I'll share later this week after he completes it.
A few years ago you were a solid contributor here. I didn’t always agree but I in no way thought you were an intentional troll. Well, these past few months you’ve officially jumped the shark.

troy-laugh.gif

1991 our coaches scored a combined 53 points in their two NCAA semi-finals matches. I surprised Gable didn't yank their scholarships.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
People around here still talk about Dan Gable's "Iowa Style" and how it forever changed the sport….
In 7 matches, he didn't fire a single shot. NOT ONE! During an injury timeout against a kid from Lockport, I asked him:…”
I noticed you chose to cherry pick Marinellli… You did not mention De Santo, Spencer Lee, Eierman etc. in your fictitious anecdote. Btw, if your kid really had seven matches and did not take a single shot, the issue obviously is not Iowa Style. …
Some kids were indeed born to wrestle at Iowa, such as, Tom and Terry Brands…Some were born not be wrestlers…
Your kid (if he even exists) sounds like the latter. Some were also born to be wrestling coaches, such as Dan Gable, and Tom & Terry Brands.
If you have a wrestler that did not take a single shot in seven matches, coaching is obviously not for you either.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
I noticed you chose to cherry pick Marinellli… You did not mention De Santo, Spencer Lee, Eierman etc. in your fictitious anecdote. Btw, if your kid really had seven matches and did not take a single shot, the issue obviously is not Iowa Style. …
Some kids were indeed born to wrestle at Iowa, such as, Tom and Terry Brands…Some were born not be wrestlers…
Your kid (if he even exists) sounds like the latter. Some were also born to be wrestling coaches, such as Dan Gable, and Tom & Terry Brands.
If you have a wrestler that did not take a single shot in seven matches, coaching is obviously not for you either.
I was going to say that there is almost zero chance that he has a child but I guess he could have adopted.

ADVERTISEMENT