ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any “new” practice nuggets….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
there are a couple people on the board convinced that the rogue Quarterback/Coaching talk in the other thread is inhibiting people from posting new practice nuggets…

Now for me, that seems asinine especially considering the amount of extra junk in every damn thread on this board but to appease them please let’s have some new practice nuggets here and I pity the asshole that talks about anything else. I don’t care how relevant it may be….

😊

Reactions: sober_teacher
there are a couple people on the board convinced that the rogue Quarterback/Coaching talk in the other thread is inhibiting people from posting new practice nuggets…

Now for me, that seems asinine especially considering the amount of extra junk in every damn thread on this board but to appease them please let’s have some new practice nuggets here and I pity the asshole that talks about anything else. I don’t care how relevant it may be….

😊
It's totally obscured by bullshit posts like yours.
😉

Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
It's open QB competition. With SP being the #1 day 1 of Spring ball and AP, Labas holding his water as part of their equal snaps.

Have you talked with Dolph about how pissed you are he said Petras is clearly ahead?! Seems like your issue should be with him?

Petras is great when he is not allowed to be sacked. If we can be the best o-line in Iowa history he will silence all the haters.

Petras is great when he is not allowed to be sacked. If we can be the best o-line in Iowa history he will silence all the haters.
Are you sure ? I'm not convinced !

I hope your correct but have my doubts from the past for reference , the O-line could be better with 1 more year under their belt, but the QB might not be ?

If the running game is much improved along with the O-line maybe the QB will look better.
I still doubt it silences the QB debate.

Guess will see come fall.

As has been the case for 23 years, KF knows nothing about QBs. His stubbornness is his greatest weakness. Most observers outside Fort Kinnick seem to believe Padilla is better than Petras and that Labas has, by far, the highest ceiling of the three. But KF will not budge. He grudgingly admits Labas does make some good plays at times, but he ALWAYS follows any minor compliment with a criticism. The man who picked McCann over Banks, Christensen over Stanzi, and Rudock over Beathard is at it again. Another great Iowa defense and excellent special teams will have to carry this team again if KF has his way. And that's a damn shame.

As has been the case for 23 years, KF knows nothing about QBs. His stubbornness is his greatest weakness. Most observers outside Fort Kinnick seem to believe Padilla is better than Petras and that Labas has, by far, the highest ceiling of the three. But KF will not budge. He grudgingly admits Labas does make some good plays at times, but he ALWAYS follows any minor compliment with a criticism. The man who picked McCann over Banks, Christensen over Stanzi, and Rudock over Beathard is at it again. Another great Iowa defense and excellent special teams will have to carry this team again if KF has his way. And that's a damn shame.
Nailed it!!

Do you think you have more knowledge about QBs and coaching than ANYONE on this staff? Talk about hubris. Banks has stated that he wasn't ready his first year and he clearly wasn't. McCann had been in the program 3 more years and was a winner. Stanzi ended up starting over Christensen but not after a damn rocky start. Beathard ended up starting over Ruddock, then Ruddock transferred and started at MI - both were good QBs, but Ruddock was never "picked" over Beathard. There was an open competition that Beathard won, same as with Stanzi. It should also be noted that in both cases, the higher ranked QB recruits lost out to lesser-ranked QBs.

As Joe would say , Come on man ! Your act insinuating you know more than the coaches is BULLSHIT !

Reactions: cmhawks99
He's gonna play Petras until he graduates.

Padilla will transfer. Labas will be the next QB (if he sticks around), but will only play when Petras graduates.

That is the way it will play out. Deal with it or find another team to root for....

• Wow
Reactions: not_mantiteo
I think the only chance of Petras not starting is if Padilla beats him out. Either way, I don't think the QB situation will be improved next year. They will need to focus on developing the OL and having a really good running game.

I think the only chance of Petras not starting is if Padilla beats him out. Either way, I don't think the QB situation will be improved next year. They will need to focus on developing the OL and having a really good running game.

I do think if one QB, LaBas or Padilla was clearly better, he’d play, but that doesn’t appear to be happening

Reactions: BBHawk
Again, would you play hard for a coach who was biased, unfair and incompetent?

The lure of NFL money is powerful.

Players go to play for position coaches like Phil Parker as a DB. The head coach is a figurehead. KF is tenured and has a lifetime deal. Chris Doyle was a world class S&C coach. That would be a draw, but he is gone now.

Would I personally play at Iowa if I were a talented TE recruit? Yes, even if I did think the head coach was a doddering old fool when it came to QBs. A kind, mostly genuine fool, but a fool nonetheless.

Every coach is biased.
Every coach can be unfair from time to time. Rob Bruggeman was jerked around at Iowa in favor of Rafael Eubanks, it was a joke.
Every head coach has strengths and weaknesses. KF strength is OL, no argument there, QB, a weakness.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ronman and HawkOn15
The lure of NFL money is powerful.

Players go to play for position coaches like Phil Parker as a DB. The head coach is a figurehead.

Would I personally play at Iowa if I were a talented TE recruit? Yes, even if I did think the head coach was a doddering old fool when it came to QBs. A kind, mostly genuine fool, but a fool nonetheless.

Huh….. dude somebody that nefariously plays the wrong people is not a fool, that’s not only a bad coach that’s a bad person.

Rarely does anybody, let alone around 100 “anybody’s“ play hard for a 20 year old dodging fool to the point they’ve gotten better and better and better. I suspect that even though I think you’re pretty stupid you knew where I was heading and so you hedged your answer.

Not to mention recruiting at all positions, QB recruiting has even gotten better. If anyone important (meaning not you or Iowa douchebag) believed this tripe you like to perpetuate coaches all over the nation would be using it and our coaches would be explaining themselves all the time and recruiting would not be better…

There really is truth to the old saying “the proof is in the pudding” the shit you say doesn’t hold water after 24 years I’m sorry, I know you badly want it to be true!

The closest you've been to Fort Kinnick is probably Fort Madison.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Huh….. dude somebody that nefariously plays the wrong people is not a fool, that’s not only a bad coach that’s a bad person.

Rarely does anybody, let alone around 100 “anybody’s“ play hard for a 20 year old dodging fool to the point they’ve gotten better and better and better. I suspect that even though I think you’re pretty stupid you knew where I was heading and so you hedged your answer.

Not to mention recruiting at all positions, QB recruiting has even gotten better. If anyone important (meaning not you or Iowa douchebag) believed this tripe you like to perpetuate coaches all over the nation would be using it and our coaches would be explaining themselves all the time and recruiting would not be better…

There really is truth to the old saying “the proof is in the pudding” the shit you say doesn’t hold water after 24 years I’m sorry, I know you badly want it to be true!

QB recruiting has gotten better? Why, pray tell, is Petras still in the program? A guy has a season like that, he doesn’t get another.

QB recruiting has gotten better? Why, pray tell, is Petras still in the program? A guy has a season like that, he doesn’t get another.

Why exactly aren’t you coaching… I sure as hell hope you don’t lead people with that negativity.

So I’ll play long do you think Joey LaBas is a good quarterback recruit, Carson May, Mario Leniez…

Last edited:
Why exactly aren’t you coaching… I sure as hell you hope you don’t need people with that negativity.

So I’ll play long do you think Joey LaBas is a good quarterback recruit call me Carson May, Mario Leniez

My thoughts on Joey Labas’s film are documented on this site.

Then you would have to conclude that former OL coach Reese Morgan is a bad person. I don’t believe so. Was he biased? Sure? Did he play favorites? Sure.

Then you would have to conclude that former OL coach Reese Morgan is a bad person. I don’t believe so. Was he biased? Sure? Did he play favorites? Sure.

Ooohhhh…..so that happens? It’s a coach thing, and maybe the coach has reasons that don’t have a f$&@?ing thing to do with idiots on a message board….geez I would’ve never thought about that?

and you say it so nonchalantly like it’s okay… Thank you for finally coming to the light!

ADVERTISEMENT