ADVERTISEMENT

Are There Any Good Conservative Ideas?

Originally posted by wildcatdad:
Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

You didn't explain why, just said your tax advisor said it was.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Pro = everyone pays and contributes
Con = the rich can afford it much easier than the poor or middle class can

I doubt we will ever see a flat tax implemented. 

Can't the rich do lots of things easier than poor and middle class?

Exactly.  And I would suggest that people who make less think more like the rich in terms of tax rates,  don't ask for higher ones.  And with a flat tax that is what you are doing. 

Wouldn't it depend on the flat tax rate? Stop talking in absolutes, especially when you're clueless.

I doubt we will ever see a flat tax implemented.ÂÂ

Exactly. And I would suggest that people who make less think more like the rich in terms of tax rates, don't ask for higher ones. And with a flat tax that is what you are doing.Â

Wouldn't it depend on the flat tax rate? Stop talking in absolutes, especially when you're clueless.
If a flat tax is going to collect the same income the current system collects then the lower income folks will pay more to make up for the cuts the upper income folks will enjoy. Its regressive by design. So if you are currently in the upper income bracket, you might like this idea. If you are not, this isn't in your best interests.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

Exactly. And I would suggest that people who make less think more like the rich in terms of tax rates, don't ask for higher ones. And with a flat tax that is what you are doing.Â

If a flat tax is going to collect the same income the current system collects then the lower income folks will pay more to make up for the cuts the upper income folks will enjoy. Its regressive by design. So if you are currently in the upper income bracket, you might like this idea. If you are not, this isn't in your best interests.
Once again, I think its a good idea for everyone to pay something. I also believe its ridiculous to penalize people who have succeeded in life. Theres no such thing as fair in this world especially when talking about taxes when some people (besides elderly and mentally disabled) don't pay taxes yet get refunds, so to continue to preach this is pointless.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:
The best idea would be to follow the U.S. Constitution
and recognize that we have 3 branches of government.
We are falling into an imperial presidency where there
are no checks and balances against executive power
that overextends itself.
Not a bad point, except there are still checks, Congress refuses to do its job.
I agree, but so does the POTUS. He makes his own laws and Congress let's him get away with it. He is King!

Once again, I think its a good idea for everyone to pay something. I also believe its ridiculous to penalize people who have succeeded in life. Theres no such thing as fair in this world especially when talking about taxes when some people (besides elderly and mentally disabled) don't pay taxes yet get refunds, so to continue to preach this is pointless.
I don't think what describe is actual reality. Can you prove that there are people getting refunds who never paid the tax in the first place? That just doesn't pass the smell test. But if you find the conversation pointless, why ask the question in the first place?

I don't think what describe is actual reality. Can you prove that there are people getting refunds who never paid the tax in the first place? That just doesn't pass the smell test. But if you find the conversation pointless, why ask the question in the first place?

Actually, no I can't prove that there is ppl who get refunds who don't pay taxes. I don't think I know of anyone who doesn't have a job right off the top of my head. However, my ex had a friend. This friend got pregnant with twin boys by a guy from another country and his student visa was about expired. This dumbass ended up marrying the guy to keep him in the country for the kids, knowing that the guy was screwing around on her and had another girl pregnant at the same time. Anyway, getting back to the tax debate. This girl, graduated from UNI and refuses to get a job where she makes more than $12/hr or all of her benefits she receives from the government will cease. I don't know about last year but in 2012 she got a refund of close to $9,700....

We know she didn't pay nearly that amount in, but she's on all of these programs and still gets a refund like that. It's not not paying taxes, but she is definitely reaping the benefits more than most ppl I would think.

Clueless sounds more like your understanding of taxes. Let me know when a pure flax tax is implemented. Its not happening because Republicans much less Democrats will not support it. It a bad idea sold to the minions who think somehow everyone is getting over on them.

This post was edited on 3/7 4:10 PM by wildcatdad

Clueless sounds more like your understanding of taxes. Let me know when a pure flax tax is implemented. Its not happening because Republicans much less Democrats will not support it. It a bad idea sold to the minions who think somehow everyone is getting over on them.

When it comes to this board, and describing the two of us....... Clueless fits.

Hint: It aint me sport.

When it comes to this board, and describing the two of us....... Clueless fits.

Hint: It aint me sport.

I look forward to your flax tax proposals and implementation schedule. You need to share your brilliance with us all.

I guess I missed getting elected into congress, in short it isn't my job.

As to my proposal, skeet skeet skeet in your mouth.

In my internet wanderings I stumbled across a book called Room To Grow, which bills itself as "Conservative reforms for a limited government and a thriving middle class" and about which David Brooks says "[T]he most coherent and compelling policy agenda the American right has produced this century."

So naturally I took a look. You can download the whole book or download chapter summaries. I thought I'd link it here in case anyone wants to discuss any of the topics. I've just started reviewing the chapter summaries and I'm sorry to say I'm not impressed so far. Maybe that will change as I read more. Or maybe some here will find parts they like that they want to talk about.

Here's a list of the chapter headings and their authors:

The Problem: The anxieties and worries of Middle America
Written By: PETER WEHNER

The Solution: A conservative governing vision
Written By: YUVAL LEVIN

Health-care reform to lower costs and improve access and quality
Written By: JAMES C. CAPRETTA

Tax reform to strengthen the economy and lighten the burdens families bear
Written By: ROBERT STEIN

K-12 Education reform to give the next generation a chance to thrive
Written By: FREDERICK M. HESS

Higher-education reform to make college and career training more effective and affordable
Written By: ANDREW P. KELLY

Safety-net reforms to protect the vulnerable and expand the middle class
Written By: SCOTT WINSHIP

Employment policies to get Americans working again
Written By: MICHAEL R. STRAIN

Energy reforms to cut utility bills and enable growth and innovation
Written By: ADAM J. WHITE

Regulatory and financial reforms to combat cronyism and modernize our economy
Written By: JAMES PETHOKOUKIS

Labor, tax, and fiscal reforms to help parents balance work and family
Written By: CARRIE LUKAS

Pro-family policies to strengthen marriage and give kids a better shot at the American dream
Written By: W. BRADFORD WILCOX

Recovering the wisdom of the Constitution
Written By: RAMESH PONNURU

Room to Grow
Anybody who has a "conservative plan for governing" is not a conservative

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT