ADVERTISEMENT

Are We in the ‘Anthropocene,’ the Human Age? Nope, Scientists Say.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Triassic was the dawn of the dinosaurs. The Paleogene saw the rise of mammals. The Pleistocene included the last ice ages.
Is it time to mark humankind’s transformation of the planet with its own chapter in Earth history, the “Anthropocene,” or the human age?
Not yet, scientists have decided, after a debate that has spanned nearly 15 years. Or the blink of an eye, depending on how you look at it.
A committee of roughly two dozen scholars has, by a large majority, voted down a proposal to declare the start of the Anthropocene, a newly created epoch of geologic time, according to an internal announcement of the voting results seen by The New York Times.

By geologists’ current timeline of Earth’s 4.6-billion-year history, our world right now is in the Holocene, which began 11,700 years ago with the most recent retreat of the great glaciers. Amending the chronology to say we had moved on to the Anthropocene would represent an acknowledgment that recent, human-induced changes to geological conditions had been profound enough to bring the Holocene to a close.
The declaration would shape terminology in textbooks, research articles and museums worldwide. It would guide scientists in their understanding of our still-unfolding present for generations, perhaps even millenniums, to come.
In the end, though, the members of the committee that voted on the Anthropocene over the past month were not only weighing how consequential this period had been for the planet. They also had to consider when, precisely, it began.
By the definition that an earlier panel of experts spent nearly a decade and a half debating and crafting, the Anthropocene started in the mid-20th century, when nuclear bomb tests scattered radioactive fallout across our world. To several members of the scientific committee that considered the panel’s proposal in recent weeks, this definition was too limited, too awkwardly recent, to be a fitting signpost of Homo sapiens’s reshaping of planet Earth.
“It constrains, it confines, it narrows down the whole importance of the Anthropocene,” said Jan A. Piotrowski, a committee member and geologist at Aarhus University in Denmark. “What was going on during the onset of agriculture? How about the Industrial Revolution? How about the colonizing of the Americas, of Australia?”

“Human impact goes much deeper into geological time,” said another committee member, Mike Walker, an earth scientist and professor emeritus at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David. “If we ignore that, we are ignoring the true impact, the real impact, that humans have on our planet.”

Hours after the voting results were circulated within the committee early Tuesday, some members said they were surprised at the margin of votes against the Anthropocene proposal compared with those in favor: 12 to four, with two abstentions. (Another three committee members neither voted nor formally abstained.)
Even so, it was unclear Tuesday morning whether the results stood as a conclusive rejection or whether they might still be challenged or appealed. In an email to The Times, the committee’s chair, Jan A. Zalasiewicz, said there were “some procedural issues to consider” but declined to discuss them further. Dr. Zalasiewicz, a geologist at the University of Leicester, has expressed support for canonizing the Anthropocene.

I'm actually going to side with the geologists on this one. To me, the Holocene, which started 11,700 years ago pretty much means that the new period started with the rise of human civilization. The more recent changes of climate change (which will likely be a blip on the timeline when it comes to geologic time) and nuclear fallout would be part of that process. So, while I'm not an expert that would be called into this debate because I don't have a PhD in geology or a related field, the Holocene era would end when human civilization ends (the most likely scenario). I could see an argument for a new period if humans ever colonize space but then we aren't dealing with just Earth history and I don't think that would fit the definition of the naming of periods since that is Earth's geologic timeline. Maybe if humans reach a technological level that they start fundamentally changing the geology of the planet. Like they start building new continents or start genetically modifying species so much it leads to a curated ecology that is significantly different than what existed before it.

To put it another way, we won't know when we have entered a new period until several thousand years after we have entered a new period. I don't think it is something you can say immediately until there has been time to see the long term impacts of what was happening.

. Like they start building new continents or start genetically modifying species so much it leads to a curated ecology that is significantly different than what existed before it.
We’ve split continents with canals, and there are surely more domesticated animals than humans, and we genetically modified them to be what they are now. Then consider the consequence of over fishing.

We’re kind of a big deal.

I'm actually going to side with the geologists on this one. To me, the Holocene, which started 11,700 years ago pretty much means that the new period started with the rise of human civilization. The more recent changes of climate change (which will likely be a blip on the timeline when it comes to geologic time) and nuclear fallout would be part of that process. So, while I'm not an expert that would be called into this debate because I don't have a PhD in geology or a related field, the Holocene era would end when human civilization ends (the most likely scenario). I could see an argument for a new period if humans ever colonize space but then we aren't dealing with just Earth history and I don't think that would fit the definition of the naming of periods since that is Earth's geologic timeline. Maybe if humans reach a technological level that they start fundamentally changing the geology of the planet. Like they start building new continents or start genetically modifying species so much it leads to a curated ecology that is significantly different than what existed before it.

To put it another way, we won't know when we have entered a new period until several thousand years after we have entered a new period. I don't think it is something you can say immediately until there has been time to see the long term impacts of what was happening.
I agree as well …. and I am a Geologist:)

We’ve split continents with canals, and there are surely more domesticated animals than humans, and we genetically modified them to be what they are now. Then consider the consequence of over fishing.

Definitely, and we already have an epoch for that. We've been doing those things for 20,000 years. Who knows though, maybe in 5000 years we will see that the world is fundamentally different from a line that can be drawn in the middle of the 20th century. Then there will be enough evidence to change my mind, not that my mind will be around in 5000 years to be changed. The geologic time scale is about what has happened, not what might happen and the scale operates in thousands and millions of years, not a few decades.

Definitely, and we already have an epoch for that. We've been doing those things for 20,000 years.
I don’t think a time period from 20,000 years ago, when there maybe 1 million people worldwide, is really comparable to the explosion in population of the last 100 years, and the environmental changes that accompany it.

I don’t think a time period from 20,000 years ago, when there maybe 1 million people worldwide, is really comparable to the explosion in population of the last 100 years, and the environmental changes that accompany it.
It's a starting point. We aren't comparing as much as we are tracking the changes.

There's way more domesticated animals than humans.

"The Earth currently has about 19.6 billion chickens, 1.4 billion cattle, and 980 million pigs being raised as livestock."

That's over 22 billion. When you throw in turkey, lamb, goat, buffalo, duck, goose, rabbit, and venison I bet we're approaching 24 billion which is about 3 times the amount of humans.

We also think we can pick genders and defeat mother nature... we're dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT