ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN discusses IOWA crashing the CFP! Says we are down to 15 teams that could make CFP

Every P5 team can play their way in by going 13-0.

G5 teams don't belong, whether they like it or not.

I dunno.... I think if a G5 team schedules and beats 3 tough P5 teams, and sweeps their conference and championship game, they should be considered. UCF and USF don't fall in that category this year, but in years past there have been some worth considering, like Boise St. There have been enough "game of the century" battles between SEC, ACC, BIG teams, that having an underdog with a legit resume could be exciting... like once or twice a decade.

I think it would have been wise to wait another couple weeks before making that list. LSU has already replaced Georgia on the list, Oregon has replaced Washington and Iowa has replaced PSU. In a couple more weeks the list will probably be down to 6-7 teams with a realistic chance. Of course there will be a few more than that with very slim chances.

Pick two BCS NC games that had MORE controversy than now?
And do you really think the other bowls games haven't lost some meaning?
I think most Iowa fans would admit that losing in the last minute in the Big Ten championship in 2015 and not making the college football playoff, where we ended up in the Rose Bowl, was a huge letdown. It used to be where if you got to the Rose Bowl, that was huge. Now you only want to get to the Rose Bowl if it's tied to the college football playoff. I'm not sure if you can call the Rose Bowl the granddaddy of them all anymore because the granddaddy would be tied to the college football playoffs.

I'm not sure if you can call the Rose Bowl the granddaddy of them all anymore because the granddaddy would be tied to the college football playoffs.

So, because it's not part of the CFP this year, the Rose Bowl does not pre-date all other bowl games now? Link?

Some interesting Strength of Schedule numbers are at the end of this post.

3 UNDEFEATED teams continue to be on track for the CFP:
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame

But what about the 4th team?
* A one loss B1G Champ?
* A second SEC team?
* One loss Texas, which lost to Maryland?

What P5 Conference gets left out?
* PAC12?
* Big 12?
* B1G?

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW

cbaed104-de72-466b-8edd-90a0a74cf32b.png

Here's my update going into Week 9:

8 teams control their own destiny, in that I see no way that any of these teams could be left out of the CFP if they win out:

Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky
Clemson
Michigan
Notre Dame

Of the above teams, I think Alabama is the only team that could get into the CFP with a loss.

In addition, these 6 teams are also in the running for the CFP, but in addition to winning out, would need help:

Oklahoma, Texas, W. Virginia
Ohio St
Washington State
Iowa

What worries me is SEC bias. Again.

This could be our CFP Final 4:
1. SEC champion
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. SEC one loss team

Left Out:
B1G (every team currently has at least one loss)
Big 12 (every team currently has at least one loss)
PAC 12 (every team currently has at least one loss)

Oct 23, 2018 Update from ESPN.com.

The playoff's biggest questions one week from the first rankings

The 13 members of the College Football Playoff selection committee meet for the first time this season in Grapevine, Texas, and release their first ranking on Oct. 30.

This is not your weekly Associated Press Top 25 poll.

New committee chairman Rob Mullens, Oregon's athletic director, said the process is "completely different."

"We don't start until after Week 9, so everything is based on work to date, results to date, résumé to date," he said. "It is not based on any sort of projection or look forward or even prior years' performance. It's 100 percent based on the results through Week 9 when our first ranking comes out."

One storyline to watch when the first ranking is released next Tuesday is
Which team is in a position to make the biggest jump?

Just because a team doesn't start in the top 10 doesn't mean it can't finish in the top four. Ohio State (No. 16 in 2014) and Oklahoma (No. 15 in 2015) both made the playoff after starting outside the initial top 10. Any one-loss Power 5 team that is still in contention to win its conference can't be ruled out -- at least not yet. That means keep an eye on Iowa this week, because if the Hawkeyes can pull off the upset at Penn State, they might have the best chance to make the slow climb up the ranking. The Nittany Lions are the only remaining opponent Iowa isn't favored to beat, according to ESPN's Football Power Index, but the Hawkeyes have a second straight difficult road trip to Purdue on Nov. 3. They also need Wisconsin to lose again, as the Badgers own the head-to-head in the division race.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ayoff-selection-committee-deliberation-topics

Last edited:
If you really think iowa is good enough to be mentioned with the top 4 teams then you need your head examined. The 86 Rose Bowl team is likely the only one talented enough in the modern era to lay that claim. Kirks best team was 2002 and they got thir asses handed to them in front of the world

Um, 2009 and the Six Seconds of Hell Defense would like to have a word with you.

Let me put it this way. Northwestern still has a chance to be the B1G conference champion, even with three out of conference losses including to Akron. Even if they won the CCG there is no reason they need to be in the CFP.
Disagree, not gonna further the argument, because it's pointless. We will see 8 team playoff sooner than later.

Disagree, not gonna further the argument, because it's pointless. We will see 8 team playoff sooner than later.
i heard it discussed on BTN that a 6 team playoff might work where the top 2 seeds get a bye and the teams seeded 3 thru 6 play the week after the conf championship games

but how soon can they expand from 4 to 6 (or 8)?

You might be correct. I understand the viewpoint of a tournament that lets these arguments get settled on the field. My opinion is that that over saturates the product and more games become less important. The controversy around who is in the top 4 generates a lot of interest in the sport that is overall positive. Your viewpoint is probably more popular and may win out.

The B1G being butt hurt over being left out last year doesn’t change the fact that the 4 best teams were in the playoff and the best team was the champion. It might not have been totally fair but it got the correct outcome and some very compelling games.

i heard it discussed on BTN that a 6 team playoff might work where the top 2 seeds get a bye and the teams seeded 3 thru 6 play the week after the conf championship games

but how soon can they expand from 4 to 6 (or 8)?
6 would be better as I would assume every P5 champ is guaranteed a spot, but then you'd only have 1 wild card team. IMO, 8 is the magic number. I may be wrong, but I believe there is some kind of deal in place to keep the format as it is for a pre determined amount of time. Once that timeline ends, implement new playoff system, much like the BCS came to an end. JMO.

6 would be better as I would assume every P5 champ is guaranteed a spot, but then you'd only have 1 wild card team. IMO, 8 is the magic number. I may be wrong, but I believe there is some kind of deal in place to keep the format as it is for a pre determined amount of time. Once that timeline ends, implement new playoff system, much like the BCS came to an end. JMO.
The week after the conf championship games you could play 4 quarterfinal games with the higher seed hosting; ie,

8 at

5 at

6 at

7 at

I agree with you.

Why would this not work?

With one extra week, you could include all P5 champs plus 3 wild cards. You get the entire nation's eyes on 4 games and 4 games only. And you quickly get to a final 4, where those 2 semi final games are played on Jan 1..

Or maybe you determine the 8 teams as determined by the CFP Committee? For example, if Purdue won the B1G title, would you want a 3 loss team in? Maybe you do. Would create some "December Delirium," that's for sure.

Reactions: The_Joker13
Or maybe you determine the 8 teams as determined by the CFP Committee? For example, if Purdue won the B1G title, would you want a 3 loss team in? Maybe you do. Would create some "December Delirium," that's for sure.

Nobody seemed to care all that much when the UConn men's basketball team ran the table a few years back.

Nobody seems to care when an NFL wildcard team that went 10-6 runs the table.

I don't think Notre Dame should be allowed to be the in playoff until they join a conference. Force them to play by the same rules as everyone else.

I suppose you could penalize them for never having to play a conference championship game, but oh, we unfortunately set precedent last year with Alabama... so, probably not going to work.

At any rate, Notre Dame's schedule is tougher than most P5 teams so I don't think it makes a ton of sense to keep them out based on not having to play a CCG.

Some more ESPN love:

16. Iowa (6-1, 3-1 Big Ten)
i

Week 8 result: Defeated Maryland 23-0
What's next: vs. Penn State (3:30 p.m. Saturday)

On a day when wind gusts topped 40 mph in Iowa City, the Hawkeyes took the air out of the game and stuck to bullying Maryland along both lines of scrimmage. Iowa held the ball for more than 40 minutes, holding the Terrapins to just 115 yards and seven first downs in its first shutout of a Big Ten opponent in nearly two years. Heading into next week's showdown in State College, few teams in the nation are playing better than the Hawkeyes, who've won their past three games by an average of 21 points. It's not hard to imagine Iowa continuing this impressive run against Penn State.

Reactions: Ree4
Ya, everyone knows the B1G East is stronger, just look at the champions through da years. Hawkeyes got pounded and manhandled by Wisconsin 38-14, so that win against OSU last year does not look repeatable. I think Michigan would take exception to Iowa owning them LOL And Iowa is 2-10 against OSU over da last 21 years.
Iowa State would be 0-12 against OSU in the last 21 years , PS in the last 20 years Iowa has done quite well against Penn State and Michigan but You only bring up the OSU record
Let me put it this way. Northwestern still has a chance to be the B1G conference champion, even with three out of conference losses including to Akron. Even if they won the CCG there is no reason they need to be in the CFP.
So make the criteria that no team with more than 1 loss is eligible for the playoff no matter whether its 4 or 8 teams that would keep a 3 loss NW team out.

Getting back to some more short-term speculation... if we win vs. PSU, where will the Hawks appear on the first CFP ranking? I say between 9-11. Maybe behind Kentucky or possibly OSU, but ahead of teams like Wash St. and WVU. I see Florida losing to Georgia. Perfect position for the stretch run.

Man... I just hope we are having that conversation on Monday!

I suppose you could penalize them for never having to play a conference championship game, but oh, we unfortunately set precedent last year with Alabama... so, probably not going to work.

At any rate, Notre Dame's schedule is tougher than most P5 teams so I don't think it makes a ton of sense to keep them out based on not having to play a CCG.

I just think they have an advantage because other teams can get knocked out of the playoffs by losing their championship game and they just get to sit there. All teams should be playing be the same rules as much as possible. Same number of conference games, have to play in a championship game, etc.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
Getting back to some more short-term speculation... if we win vs. PSU, where will the Hawks appear on the first CFP ranking? I say between 9-11. Maybe behind Kentucky or possibly OSU, but ahead of teams like Wash St. and WVU. I see Florida losing to Georgia. Perfect position for the stretch run.

Man... I just hope we are having that conversation on Monday!
if we win at Penn State, this board is gonna go bonkers with excitement leading up to the reveal of the initial CFP rankings

You might be correct. I understand the viewpoint of a tournament that lets these arguments get settled on the field. My opinion is that that over saturates the product and more games become less important. The controversy around who is in the top 4 generates a lot of interest in the sport that is overall positive. Your viewpoint is probably more popular and may win out.

The B1G being butt hurt over being left out last year doesn’t change the fact that the 4 best teams were in the playoff and the best team was the champion. It might not have been totally fair but it got the correct outcome and some very compelling games.

My problem with the system as it is, is that there are 5 power conferences and four playoff spots. There could be 5 undefeated power conference champs and one of them, by definition has to be declared "unworthy".

I still think we're heading for an eventuality where we get to 4 "super conferences", probably each with 2 8-team divisions. At that point, division winners are effectively in the playoff and the conference championship games serve as the first round. It's going to take some time to get the last independents into conferences and get the P5 to a P4, but it'll happen eventually.

Reactions: naturalmwa
My problem with the system as it is, is that there are 5 power conferences and four playoff spots. There could be 5 undefeated power conference champs and one of them, by definition has to be declared "unworthy".

I still think we're heading for an eventuality where we get to 4 "super conferences", probably each with 2 8-team divisions. At that point, division winners are effectively in the playoff and the conference championship games serve as the first round. It's going to take some time to get the last independents into conferences and get the P5 to a P4, but it'll happen eventually.

I think it's more likely they'll expand the playoff to 6 or 8 so each P5 champion gets an automatic berth. Then you have 1 or 3 "wildcard" teams. This leaves room for an undefeated G5.

6 team playoff - top 2 get a bye. Bottom 4 have a "week 15" play in. Winners advance and the losers get shuffled into the bowl picture.

It's much simpler to expand the playoff than it is to shuffle conferences.

I think it's more likely they'll expand the playoff to 6 or 8 so each P5 champion gets an automatic berth. Then you have 1 or 3 "wildcard" teams. This leaves room for an undefeated G5.

6 team playoff - top 2 get a bye. Bottom 4 have a "week 15" play in. Winners advance and the losers get shuffled into the bowl picture.

It's much simpler to expand the playoff than it is to shuffle conferences.

The conferences are shuffling themselves. It probably takes another decade, but I still think it's going to happen.

In the mean time, I agree with your scenarios above, except that I doubt you get all P5s in unless they go to 8. Eight with the P5s plus three WCs would work pretty well. They could even add a rule where ND or the highest non-P5 makes it in as a WC if they're in the top 10.

what i hate, too, is that Notre Dame is a partial ACC conference member for football where the ACC champ AND Notre Dame could make the CFP.

Does the ACC deserve 2 teams (the champ and ND) in the CFP?

Also, Notre Dame does not have to face Clemson in an ACC conference championship game where all the other P5 conferences are playing that extra game. That's not fair.

The conferences are shuffling themselves. It probably takes another decade, but I still think it's going to happen.

In the mean time, I agree with your scenarios above, except that I doubt you get all P5s in unless they go to 8. Eight with the P5s plus three WCs would work pretty well. They could even add a rule where ND or the highest non-P5 makes it in as a WC if they're in the top 10.

There will likely be changes over the next decade, but what they are no one can knows. At one point, it looked like 4 super conferences of 16 teams each would happen. I think there is less chance of that happening than a few years ago. The huge money from TV contracts is going to change in some way, and until that gets figured out the conferences aren't going to undergo further changes. There is still plenty of money to be made from broadcasting games, but the model of getting cable carriage fees of every TV subscriber on a platform is going away. College fans will play for their games, but how is that going to happen in the new order? What if Netflix or Amazon gets more into the live games?

Personally I'd like to see 16 team playoff (or even 24) but I won't hold my breath about that.

Just heard the guys on college football espn show mention Iowa as a dark horse for cfp. Most said they like that pick, and that this year’s team is worth consideration vs the 2015 team. Not sure I agree yet, but worth watching the season unfold. Maybe those guys know the most.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Just heard the guys on college football espn show mention Iowa as a dark horse for cfp. Most said they like that pick, and that this year’s team is worth consideration vs the 2015 team. Not sure I agree yet, but worth watching the season unfold. Maybe those guys know the most.
They cant ignore the 3rd ranked defense and potential at QB AND TE this year.

I think this team is much better than the 2015 team but there's no way a 1 loss Iowa team this year gets more consideration than an undefeated 2015 team. There's a good chance if we make the Big 10 championship game that we wont have a win over a team that's ranked in the top 25 team at that point. They'll kill our schedule. If we are a 12-1 Big 10 champ though I think we get in over Big12/Pac12 for sure.

Reactions: T. Kimball
Iowa wins this weekend in convincing fashion there will be a lot of hype out there building for us crashing the CFP

Based on our remaining schedule and the EAST looks beatable now in the CHAMP game.

Here’s your test... Spot #4 comes down to 1 loss teams:

Iowa, Wisconsin or Notre Dame
Choice will be Notre Dame

Iowa, Wisconsin or Clemson
Choice will be Clemson

Iowa, Wisconsin or Oklahoma/Texas
Choice will be Oklahoma/Texas

Iowa, Wisconsin or USC
Choice will be USC

Iowa, Wisconsin or Florida/Georgia
Choice will be Florida/Georgia

I agree with what you're saying to an extent but, not completely.

A one loss Iowa would be fresh off a B10 conference championship with a quality win. I think Alabama and Clemson will not lose. The committee will take a 1 loss conference champ Iowa over any second place SEC team if Alabama is already in the playoff. The committee would probably also take Iowa over 1 loss ND because of the conference championship. 1 loss Texas might not get in over Iowa if you consider our common opponent, Maryland. I agree a 1 loss Oklahoma might get in over Iowa.

Iowa wins this weekend in convincing fashion there will be a lot of hype out there building for us crashing the CFP

Based on our remaining schedule and the EAST looks beatable now in the CHAMP game.
If this team is like the 2002 team (where both teams had a very disappointing early loss), then our big road win against the blue blood would be this Saturday against Penn State, just like the HUGE road win at Michigan in 2002.

But one step at a time. We have to win on Saturday first. LOL If we do, the parallels between 2002 and 2018 will continue, imo.

Last edited:
Leistikow: Iowa Hawkeyes can become playoff dark horse with upset over Penn State

Chad Leistikow, Hawk Central
Published 5:50 p.m. CT Oct. 23, 2018 | Updated 7:16 p.m. CT Oct. 23, 2018

IOWA CITY, Ia. — On Oct. 26, 2002, a one-loss Iowa football team went into Michigan Stadium and whipped the eighth-ranked Wolverines, 34-9. It remains one of the most significant and memorable road wins of the Kirk Ferentz era.

Exactly 16 years and one day later, a one-loss Iowa team can make a similar statement against a higher-ranked opponent in one of college football’s most vaunted venues.

It’s No. 18 Iowa at No. 16 Penn State, with a crowd of 106,000-plus expected for Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. CT, ESPN-televised game at Beaver Stadium.

“If we come ready to go — offense, defense, special teams,” senior free safety Jake Gervase said, “it’s going to be a fun day.”

The 6-1 Hawkeyes are confident for a reason.

Only three previous Ferentz-coached teams — the ones in 2002, 2009 and 2015 — started 6-1 or better. Each of those teams went on to win at least 11 games and collectively account for Ferentz’s three BCS bowl appearances.

“If we can follow up like those three teams did, that’d be great,” Ferentz said Tuesday. “That’s the challenge in front of us.”

Only one of those three special teams, though, had exactly a 6-1 mark through seven games.

You guessed it: 2002.

The comparisons to that magical season, which ended with nearly 50,000 Hawkeye fans flocking to the Orange Bowl in Miami, are growing increasingly credible.

The 2002 Hawkeyes could run the ball and pass it at a high level. They had a star-studded defensive line. And they kept gaining steam after a bitter early-season home loss to a program rival.

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

In 2002, it was one bad third quarter that turned a 24-7 lead against Iowa State into a 36-31, Week 3 defeat.

In 2018, it was two special-teams gaffes that led to a 28-17 loss to Wisconsin on Sept. 22 at Kinnick Stadium, a game that Iowa led until the final minute.

“I don’t know if anything changed (after that loss),” offensive lineman Tristan Wirfs said. “We just knew where we stood in that game.”

Translation: The better team, at least in the Hawkeyes’ minds, lost that night.

Probably the way the 2002 team felt after losing to Iowa State.

And so far, the response from these Hawkeyes appears to be on the same track as it was in 2002.

Next, they need that signature win.

Beating Penn State (5-2, with late losses to Ohio State and Michigan State) in Happy Valley certainly would qualify. The Hawkeyes are 6½-point underdogs

Parker Hesse, the only current Hawkeye to start on that 2015 team that started 12-0 and went to the Rose Bowl, is the quintessential team leader. Ferentz on Tuesday unofficially crowned him the team’s MVP to date.

Hesse has seen things come together for one of Ferentz's special seasons; he's also endured early-season struggles that swiped the dreams of the 2016 and 2017 teams.

He knows how precious it is, to get to this point of the season and still have a chance to be something great. The players believe they can be, on the heels of three straight Big Ten wins by an average margin of 22 points.

"Everyone around here realizes the potential we have. We could be a really good team,” Hesse said. “I think that has been focusing us each and every day, making sure we prepare to the best of our abilities.”

He continued.

“We take every meeting, every practice, every lift as serious as we can. Because we know this is an opportunity that not many people get — to be a really good football team at the end of the year.”

The 2002 offense remains the gold standard of the Ferentz era. That unit, led by Heisman Trophy runner-up Brad Banks, averaged 37.2 points per game. No Hawkeye team since has topped 30.9.

Iowa’s scoring average this year is at 30.6, with some of the Big Ten’s worst defenses coming up in November.

Sixteen years ago, Iowa went into Ann Arbor with a quiet confidence — and surgically dismantled a college football blue-blood before 111,496 stunned fans.

One man’s opinion: That was the day when Iowa football under Ferentz officially arrived on the national radar. It served as a launching point for back-to-back-to-back national top-10 finishes.

Flash forward 16 years (and one day).

And here’s a major chance for the Hawkeye program to (re)assert itself as a national player.

“It’s a huge opportunity for us," quarterback Nate Stanley said, "to go out and show the amount and quality of work that we’ve put in. We work all year for 12 opportunities.”

Win this one, and “IOWA” will be prominent in the first College Football Playoff rankings that come out Tuesday. Yes, a 7-1 Iowa would be a playoff dark horse — with major momentum toward taking back the Big Ten’s West Division.

Lose this one, and a November scramble to max out at 9-3 or 10-2 doesn’t have the same buzz.

“It’s an awesome opportunity for this team to keep growing,” Gervase said, “(and) keep going in the direction we want to go.”

It’s probably fitting to close this with some final words from Hesse, as he spoke about the anticipation of trying to pull the upset in front of 100,000-plus fans.

“You like to go in and kind of embrace that villain role,” he said, “and (say), 'We’re going to come in, and we’re going to steal one from you.'"

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 24 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-stadium-college-football-playoff/1735076002/

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepperman
I guess we went from 9 teams (on Oct 2) to 15 teams (Oct 24).

Per ESPN, 15 teams are left to vie for the FOUR coveted spots in the Dec. 29 semifinal games in north Texas and south Florida.

The CFP contenders are listed in order of ESPN FPI rank.

As you can see, IOWA comes in at #10.

Where will Iowa be after the Penn State game?

The 15 Teams Still in Contention for the College Football Playoff:

i
Alabama Crimson Tide
Trending
: EVEN
No team has ever finished 15-0. Alabama, through eight games, appears on track, sharing a level of play with a select few in college football history. The Tide have trailed for just three plays all season. QB extraordinaire Tua Tagovailoa still has not taken a fourth-quarter snap this season.

i
Clemson Tigers
Trending
: UP
So much for the struggles with NC State. QB Trevor Lawrencedeftly picked apart the Wolfpack, which tried too often to send blitzers at the true freshman. Among playoff contenders, the Tigers now face the easiest road to a spot in the semifinals, starting with a trip to Florida State this week.

i
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Trending:
EVEN
The Irish were off Saturday and sit in a spot similar to Clemson's: as big favorites to win every game left. Could Notre Dame still slip into the final four with a loss in its last five games? It might not be a good idea to find out.

i
Georgia Bulldogs
Trending:
DOWN
Off a loss to LSU, uneasiness surrounds the Bulldogs, as Florida awaits in Jacksonville ahead of a trip to Kentucky. Talk has focused on the quarterbacks --- if freshman Justin Fields deserves a shot to use his arm -- but what of that defense, first gouged by Mizzou for four rushing touchdowns, then by LSU for three scores and 275 yards on the ground?

i
Michigan Wolverines
Trending:
UP
That's seven straight wins to enter a bye before Penn State. The Wolverines mastered the formula for late-season Big Ten success on Saturday at Michigan State, rushing for 144 yards on 37 designed runs inside tackles as they held the Spartans to 15 yards on the ground.

i
Oklahoma Sooners
Trending:
UP
Kyler Murray and the one-loss Sooners steered back on track with a rout of TCU, posting 536 yards as the QB threw four touchdowns to keep pace with the numbers of 2017 Heisman winner Baker Mayfield. The defense, under new direction, held the Horned Frogs to three points after a rough four-minute stretch in the second quarter.

i
Ohio State Buckeyes
Trending
: DOWN
Sure, the Buckeyes probably still control their fate as a potential one-loss Big Ten champion. But when do the mounting losses by TCU and Penn State's sloppy play impact Ohio State? More pressing, OSU has allowed 35 plays of 25 or more yards in eight games. Dwayne Haskins, despite 73 pass attempts, completed just four balls thrown 15 yards or more downfield.

i
LSU Tigers
Trending
: UP
They're a top-four team today because of that smothering D, which forced four Mississippi State turnovers on Saturday -- as many as the Bulldogs had committed all season. All four were interceptions of Nick Fitzgerald, who enjoyed no success on downfield throws. Up next, that defense takes aim at Tagovailoa in the most appealing matchup anywhere this season.

i
Florida Gators
Trending:
UP
Another idle Week 8 contender, the Gators, with five straight wins, can take a giant step toward the SEC East crown with a win over Georgia this week. Florida, without another league road game, ought to feel great about LSU's performance in the two weeks since the Tigers lost in Gainesville.

i
Iowa Hawkeyes
Trending:
UP
Other than a Week 4 loss to Wisconsin, these Hawkeyes look a lot like the 2015 group that stayed perfect until December. Headed to Penn State after holding Maryland to 115 yards, Iowa remains a serious long shot to make the CFP but poses likely the greatest threat to spoil the Big Ten's shot at a bid in Indianapolis.

i
West Virginia Mountaineers
Trending
: DOWN
After the four-turnover showing in a Week 6 win over Kansas, something didn't feel right about WVU as an unbeaten playoff front-runner. Well, Iowa State righted matters. The Mountaineers stay afloat because three opportunities remain to beat Texas and Oklahoma.

i
Texas Longhorns
Trending:
UP
As the dominoes fell nationally, the Longhorns advanced a notch or two by sitting out. How does the committee this week treat Texas, with its loss to Maryland, now floundering, and tight wins over Tulsa, K-State and Baylor? The Big 12 front-runner is concerned only with an arduous road over the next four weeks and the ailing shoulder of QB Sam Ehlinger.

i
Washington State Cougars
Trending:
UP
Wow, what a Saturday, and congrats to the Cougars, the only Pac-12 team left with a shot at the CFP. But the league is likely going to be shut out of the semifinals again. Even if Wazzu runs the table, it figures to pay a high price for the September scheduling of Wyoming, San Jose State and Eastern Washington.

i
Kentucky Wildcats
Trending
Style points matter little for an SEC title contender. That's a good thing because the Wildcats won ugly on Saturday, 14-7 at home over Vanderbilt. And yes, Kentucky remains in the mix, with a trip to Missouri before a Nov. 3 visit from Georgia that will likely settle the East division if both teams win this week.

i
Texas A&M Aggies
Trending
What if the Aggies win out, LSU beats Alabama, then A&M beats the Tigers and finds a way into the SEC title game, in which they beat a one-loss Georgia or Florida? Even that might not earn a spot. But it could, which is reason enough to keep the Aggies alive with their losses to the two best teams nationally.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../eliminator-unbeaten-ucf-two-loss-texas-alive

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT