ADVERTISEMENT

Are wind farms Ioway's most interesting skyline?

Hawki97

HB Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Des Moines hacks try to come at you with these over-stylized and over-filtered shots of Principal's big brown juicer and EMC's Absolut bottle, and the bridge to the courthouse but come on - it sucks. It's the most Ioway little brother thing ever to try and compare it to a real city scape. And we all know everywhere else blows - CR, the 'loo, Dirty D.

And just endless corn and beans are boring AF. Sure, snap the pic at just the right sunrise / sunset and it looks fine - but so could a mow shed in Waukee suburbia if the angles are just right.

So, are the sharp modern white lines of a windmill breaking up the contrasting greens, yellows, and blues of the natural landscape Iowa's most interesting skyline? I say yes.

A non-stylized, non-overfiltered picture for your review.

583038333487e.image.jpg

Des Moines hacks try to come at you with these over-stylized and over-filtered shots of Principal's big brown juicer and EMC's Absolut bottle, and the bridge to the courthouse but come on - it sucks. It's the most Ioway little brother thing ever to try and compare it to a real city scape. And we all know everywhere else blows - CR, the 'loo, Dirty D.

And just endless corn and beans are boring AF. Sure, snap the pic at just the right sunrise / sunset and it looks fine - but so could a mow shed in Waukee suburbia if the angles are just right.

So, are the sharp modern white lines of a windmill breaking up the contrasting greens, yellows, and blues of the natural landscape Iowa's most interesting skyline? I say yes.

A non-stylized, non-overfiltered picture for your review.

583038333487e.image.jpg
There are very few redeeming aesthetics in Iowa, and windmills on the plains are not one of them.

IMG-1601.jpg
At least Davenport is on a proper body of water. Buildings are only mid-rises, but it’s attractive with the river and bridges.
More interesting than identical white turbines IMO.

Funnily enough, I took an “artsy” urban pic downtown last night when I went to Mac’s for dinner:

IMG-1598.jpg

Any water pic in Ioway's problem is that it looks like a pond, lake, or river of shit.**

**because it probably is

Actually - yes. I wish they were higher though.
It is uniquely Iowa to be surrounded by corn, with wind turbines all around, I just fall in and out of love with them. Every now and then it's cool to see the big blinking lights, sometimes you just want a unobstructed view.

.....wonder if I can sneak 9 in this afternoon.

Reactions: Hawki97
I like the windmill farms. Think they are unique and neat to look at.

I can only speak for my hometown but my favorite part of Sioux City's skyline is at night about only 6 letters of the "Welcome to Sioux City" sign works. Super unique and beautiful.

The upper Mississippi is much cleaner than the interior rivers. It’s been muddy since before industrialization and monolithic agriculture.

Still ugly (to me) when compared to the emerald and blue glacial rivers / lakes and the turquoise of the oceans. Beggars can't be choosers though, I guess.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
It is uniquely Iowa to be surrounded by corn, with wind turbines all around, I just fall in and out of love with them. Every now and then it's cool to see the big blinking lights, sometimes you just want a unobstructed view.

.....wonder if I can sneak 9 in this afternoon.

The endless unobstructed view is actually one of the visual things I have grown to dislike most about Ioway landscapes.

Different strokes.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The endless unobstructed view is actually one of the visual things I have grown to dislike most about Ioway landscapes.

Different strokes.
I've got a shit ton of sunrise/sunset photos from hunting you could scroll through but I don't want to ruin your thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT