ADVERTISEMENT

Are you a boo bird, "stalling" fan?

Chainsawcity

Scout Team
Oct 4, 2019
Hung out with an Iowa fan. He doesn't approve of the "boo" "he's stalling" people. It kind of makes Iowa wrestling dirty. What's your take?

My take is you suffer from a room temperature IQ and have way too much time on your hands. There is a crack in the PSU armor and you ****s are squirming. Feel free to keep posting mindless squabbles to reinforce what we already know, Iowa has you worried for this year and the upcoming future.

Hung out with an Iowa fan. He doesn't approve of the "boo" "he's stalling" people. It kind of makes Iowa wrestling dirty. What's your take?
Ever hear about the Carver Effect? Passionate, rowdy, sometimes pre gamed fans are a big part of it.

My take is you suffer from a room temperature IQ and have way too much time on your hands. There is a crack in the PSU armor and you ****s are squirming. Feel free to keep posting mindless squabbles to reinforce what we already know, Iowa has you worried for this year and the upcoming future.

Chainsaw is a Goopher not a Lion. He trolls on BWI too.

Some Jackass in Section K was whining about this very thing. You may have heard his “Go Bid Re-eeeeed!” exactly three times last night: once at the beginning of the meet, and after their two Ws. He wasn’t whining until we were running away with it. I yelled down the aisle that he must have hit the concession stand and had the world famous Carver sour grapes.

I despise their fan base, their coaches, their wrestling, everything. Assad’s flex was the moment of the night.

I was sitting next to a guy last night who was attempting to explain how scoring works to his kid. He was clueless but he is still there with his family cheering on the Hawks. He was yelling for stalling in several matches when the Nebraska wrestler was in on a shot. Clearly he and many common wrestling fans don’t understand all the rules but the reason why Carver is such a magical place is because of all the support. You can’t wrestle for too many schools in front of 13k on a typical Saturday night with sub zero windchills. The point is for every educated wrestling fan that knows what stalling is and knows when the time is right to start calling for it there is a fan out there that is there to support one of the best programs ever but doesn’t understand the rules. I’m fine with it.

There was a "Real Men of Genius" on "1st period What's Bottom Doing?" guy and I can never find it. "Jorts inventor" might be 3rd best.

An asinine question for this forum, considering there is a statue of the world's greatest coach outside carver doing this:

4f8fdb3327048.preview-620.jpg

Here is some of what I consider stalling in CHA IF the wrestler isn't wearing an Iowa singlet:
backing up (even one step)
leg riding
head touching the mat on bottom
not running back to the center after going out of bounds
getting injured
sprawling
choosing top
leg pass
bleeding

That's definitely not a complete list, but if you witness an opposing wrestler pulling any of that sh** then you better believe the crowd is going to let the ref know about it.

mark Manning seemed pretty good at it last night, stomping the floor even.

how White was not called for stalling at least once on bottom is beyond me and worthy of all the booing the crowd gave him.

Watch Ad match 3rd period AD down 8 seconds into and every Nebraska guy is calling stalling. Manning is louder than them all with his fist raised up wanting the ref to call it.

Here is some of what I consider stalling in CHA IF the wrestler isn't wearing an Iowa singlet:
leg riding
getting injured
sprawling
choosing top
leg pass
bleeding

That's definitely not a complete list, but if you witness an opposing wrestler pulling any of that sh** then you better believe the crowd is going to let the ref know about it.

You forgot adjusting knee pad or tying shoes.

I'll probably catch flak for this, but... It IS a bit much sometimes. Sometimes it's legit, but often (including some last night) the call could go either way, and it just makes our fans look stupid. Sorry, but that is the truth. I've hollered it myself when warranted, but often it is not. I'm also tired of the Ric Flair wooo. It was funny the first time and was in context then, but now it's embarrassing. Sorry if you don't agree, but that's how I feel.

I try not to reply to troll threads, but this really does bug me sometimes, so I felt like chiming in. Maybe most of you don't feel that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: rollinghawk
I'll probably catch flak for this, but... It IS a bit much sometimes. Sometimes it's legit, but often (including some last night) the call could go either way, and it just makes our fans look stupid. Sorry, but that is the truth. I've hollered it myself when warranted, but often it is not. I'm also tired of the Ric Flair wooo. It was funny the first time and was in context then, but now it's embarrassing. Sorry if you don't agree, but that's how I feel.

I try not to reply to troll threads, but this really does bug me sometimes, so I felt like chiming in. Maybe most of you don't feel that way.
I’ll take heat as well I’m sure. I really don’t mind the woo. It’s just a signature thing people are doing to draw attention. Sort of annoying, but nothing for me there really... Ups the volume which is great. I will say when screaming things and booing, or calling for things that aren’t there falls to being unrealistic, it makes it makes it tough to defend the educated fans idea that we all pride ourselves on.

I think it can definitely help the atmosphere and make it more hostile, so it’s tough to say I hate it. However, for context, watch a power program match or a hostile type environment that Iowa is not in and see if bothers you when the RAC, Corelli Center, Rec Hall, or Gallagher Iba gets out of hand with calling things. It is definitely noticeable, and I try to be objective.

All that being said, it would carry more weight if it came from an objective/Hawkeye point of view rather than being posted by another off-worlder (Star Wars reference.)

My two cents.

Damn I thought the “wooooooo” thing had some underlying meaning. My group that I go to meets with we’re all like what the hell is going on right now. It was loud, funny, and annoying all at the same time. Mostly annoying since it was the very last match.

Reactions: FarvaHawk14
Hey you STUPID dingleberry. I'm not a PSU fan you FOOOOOL! This thread is relevant, and others agree the overwhelming boos are sometimes not appreciated. And for everybody else dog piling on me:
tenor.png

Last edited:

Boo.

Reactions: FarvaHawk14
Hey you STUPID dingleberry. I'm not a PSU fan you FOOOOOL! This thread is relevant, and others agree the overwhelming boos are sometimes not appreciated. And for everybody else dog piling on me:
tenor.png

What’s he doing with this thread? Boo... boo...

leg riding
getting injured
sprawling
choosing top
leg pass
bleeding

I got all kinds of looks when I was performing my Iowa duties of yelling “STALLING” when UNI came to ODU down in Norfolk. Pretty fun, afterwards I got a chance to speak with Mark Schwab. I never thought he would get beat.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
The better your team is and the longer they stay good, the bigger the fanbase becomes. Once you do get that type of fanbase and an arena to house them, all it really is, is HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE. That SHOULD happen in all sports. CH may be best known for this, but it is happening at Rec Hall now ALL THE TIME. Which I think is a good thing. If the fans can influence the refs, good for them.

Simply put, if you want to beat a wrestler in CH, and now Rec Hall and even Bryce Jordan, you have to be on it from whistle to whistle. It is a testament to Iowa that they have the fanbase to do this and PSU is almost there as well. It's a shame we don't have 50 more.........

Reactions: bigs22
Yes I am but I am not bias about it either. Example I would have dinged Nebraska vs Desanto on top but I would have done the same to Marinelli when he was on top. Probably get hammered for that but that’s the way I would have called it.

Yes I am but I am not bias about it either. Example I would have dinged Nebraska vs Desanto on top but I would have done the same to Marinelli when he was on top. Probably get hammered for that but that’s the way I would have called it.

That's part of what I was saying. Either of those two situations could have been called either way, depending on how the ref looks at things.In both situations, the point could be made for calling a stall either way.
DeSanto had his head on the mat much of the time, but didn't have his arms to support himself, so he had to use his head much of the time. He kept his base under him most of the time, so he wasn't flattened out, lying there arms spread, trying not to be turned. Lovett started out with legs in, then got chickenwing and took legs out, but stayed parallel the whole time, never busted the base and got off to the side and tried to run it. He kept a leg trapped, sitting on it most of the period, so he didn't make a real effort to turn. Anyone who uses arm-bars knows if your hand goes past 90 degrees with the spine, you're asking for a PD call unless you turn them instantly, so the PD call was warranted.
In the Marinelli/White match, Marinelli did have a leg trapped some, but was off to the side much of the ride, just couldn't break base or control arms enough to turn. White kept his base much of the time, but never sat out or seldom tried to build up from base to a stand-up. Never really worked for hand control to get out.
In both scenarios, I have seen stall calls both ways. Part of the problem with stalling is it is too subjective, and refs who never wrestled don't always understand the intricacies of what it takes to turn or escape.

That's part of what I was saying. Either of those two situations could have been called either way, depending on how the ref looks at things.In both situations, the point could be made for calling a stall either way.
DeSanto had his head on the mat much of the time, but didn't have his arms to support himself, so he had to use his head much of the time. He kept his base under him most of the time, so he wasn't flattened out, lying there arms spread, trying not to be turned. Lovett started out with legs in, then got chickenwing and took legs out, but stayed parallel the whole time, never busted the base and got off to the side and tried to run it. He kept a leg trapped, sitting on it most of the period, so he didn't make a real effort to turn. Anyone who uses arm-bars knows if your hand goes past 90 degrees with the spine, you're asking for a PD call unless you turn them instantly, so the PD call was warranted.
In the Marinelli/White match, Marinelli did have a leg trapped some, but was off to the side much of the ride, just couldn't break base or control arms enough to turn. White kept his base much of the time, but never sat out or seldom tried to build up from base to a stand-up. Never really worked for hand control to get out.
In both scenarios, I have seen stall calls both ways. Part of the problem with stalling is it is too subjective, and refs who never wrestled don't always understand the intricacies of what it takes to turn or escape.

When in doubt, call the double-stall. Serious.

I was sitting next to a guy last night who was attempting to explain how scoring works to his kid. He was clueless but he is still there with his family cheering on the Hawks. He was yelling for stalling in several matches when the Nebraska wrestler was in on a shot. Clearly he and many common wrestling fans don’t understand all the rules but the reason why Carver is such a magical place is because of all the support. You can’t wrestle for too many schools in front of 13k on a typical Saturday night with sub zero windchills. The point is for every educated wrestling fan that knows what stalling is and knows when the time is right to start calling for it there is a fan out there that is there to support one of the best programs ever but doesn’t understand the rules. I’m fine with it.

I think I heard him...was saying to myself, "but our guy is not doing anything" lol.

Reactions: Lsanders20
My take is the home Iowa Wrestling meets draw over 10 K fans. Minnesota home meets have around 100 fans...unless Iowa is in TOwn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT