ADVERTISEMENT

Are You An Asshole About COVID?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Lots of Americans are at serious risk. Can we be civil and helpful, or is that to much to ask?

The Checkup with Dr. Wen

Last month, I received a message from Leslie in Michigan. Her husband is immunocompromised because he has Stage 4 chronic kidney disease. His nephrologist told him that a bout of covid could push him into permanent kidney failure, which would necessitate a lifetime of dialysis unless he could receive an organ transplant.

Because of his severe renal impairment, he would not able to take Paxlovid to treat a covid infection. The Food and Drug Administration has also revoked its authorization for the one remaining monoclonal antibody to treat covid and warned last week that Evusheld, the preventive therapy for those who don’t mount an adequate immune response to vaccination, might be ineffective against some subvariants, including the currently dominant XBB.1.5 strain.

“Needless to say, we are extraordinarily careful,” Leslie told me in an email. Her husband doesn’t go into any indoor public places, except for medical appointments. Though she isn’t at increased risk herself, she takes precautions to avoid infecting him. When she goes anywhere indoors, she wears an N95 mask, keeps her distance and leaves as quickly as possible.

“I realize that most Americans have moved on and are tired of the pandemic — we are too — but I am totally stunned at how selfish and unkind people can be,” Leslie wrote.

She described a recent encounter in a crowded airport bathroom. A woman came in to charge her phone, and Leslie asked her if she could please use the outlet on the other side of the bathroom.

“Rather than social distance temporarily to help protect me, she lashed out, telling me to ‘stay home’ and ‘don’t travel’ if I’m at risk,” Leslie wrote. “To make matters worse, she told people coming into the bathroom, ‘Can you believe this woman over there asked me to move because she’s at risk?’”

Most people aren’t this callous. But Leslie’s point remains: For millions of Americans who are immunocompromised or who live with someone who is, it extremely difficult to live in a country where most people no longer see covid as a threat. The same is true for elderly Americans who are more vulnerable to severe outcomes and those who simply wish to avoid the potential consequences of infection, including long covid.

Public health policy is complicated because it requires balancing the needs of various groups. Nearly every policy will be perceived as too restrictive to some and too permissive to others. Asking everyone to forgo all indoor socialization is not reasonable, nor are perpetual mask requirements in all settings.

But the challenges that Leslie’s family and many millions of others face must be acknowledged. And there are ways to address them so people are not relegated to a life of fear and isolation.

For example, I agree with Leslie’s proposals, as she wrote to me:

“Masks should be required in medical or dental situations until and unless covid becomes much less of a threat to those who are at risk. Many at-risk people already skip necessary medical and dental appointments due to fear of contracting covid, and optional masking in these venues only makes matters worse.”

“There should be an option for masked train cars and subway cars, and possibly some masked airline flights. … Public spaces should be encouraged to upgrade ventilation.”

“It is of the utmost importance that there be more funding for research on new treatments and monoclonal antibodies to treat immune-compromised people. Vulnerable people are dying unnecessarily because there are no good treatments for them.”

“Finally, it is critical that there be a public service campaign to inform the public about at-risk fellow citizens. Most people are not aware that we are out there — most at-risk people do not look any different from other people. Many not-at-risk citizens would be willing to take some steps to help protect vulnerable people if they only knew what was at stake.”

I am grateful to Leslie for sharing her story and policy prescriptions. These are reasonable policies that can safeguard the vulnerable while being minimally intrusive to everyone else. I hope governments and private entities, including medical and dentist offices, grocery stores and the travel industry, consider them.

And others should keep in mind that even if they no longer think of covid as a daily concern, there are those who still do. These individuals deserve our compassion, empathy and understanding — and our commitment to innovative solutions that can help them, too.

If the "at risk" person is wearing a mask, why does everyone else have to change their behavior?

If the person wants everyone else to mask up, too, why doesn't the person simply wear two masks? It's the same difference, right?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
It’s endemic now.

I’m sorry for him.

Boyintheplasticbubble.jpg

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Read the part in red.

That's an example of being assaholic.
I’m actually kind of with Trad here. If her husband is that vulnerable to severe complications then why is she in a crowded airport bathroom in the first place?

The other lady could have handled it better and moved over, but it seems kind of selfish to go into a crowded public place and expect people to move out of your way.

If the at risk person had a place she could move to then she is the asshole. If not, the other lady is. Can't we just be decent to each other? I'd walk 5 blocks out of my way if I knew it would help an at risk person.

Should a restaurant block off all the surrounding tables if an "at risk" person asks the restaurant to do so?

Reactions: Gimmered
Certainly not going to ever harass an individual over a mask. Also though, I am going to be a bit rolling of eyes someone trying to carve out a bubble in a very crowded and public place. Not going to make a scene, but going to roll my eyes knowing you are shortly going to be traveling on a plane with unmasked people crammed into a tiny space.

Masks in crowded public places, especially with the more contagious strains, really don’t work if only a few people have them on and no social distancing is in place. You should not be going on planes or through airports or to sporting events if you or someone you live is very immune compromised if nobody else is masked. Not going to work. Need full face respirator at that point.

Which does support concept that perhaps they should be mandatory on planes and trains. I mean clearly flu went way down until everyone I know got it this year.

Reactions: ihhawk and Gimmered
Dr Wen? Seriously? That shill has no business giving medical advice based on her history throughout the pandemic. Fuvk her.

I disagree with you on the distancing part. But it certainly isn't my responsibility to distance from the at risk person.

Well, sure. Don't come into contact with anyone and you won't get COVID.

But the six feet rule and BS like that? Doesn't work.

COVID is gonna COVID unless you're acting like Jack Nicholson.
Thank you for admitting distancing is helpful. I'll forgive you for not knowing how to interpret scientific studies showing the effectiveness of surgical masks. I can't forgive you for thinking you're smarter than the doctors and scientists who actually study this stuff.

Thank you for admitting distancing is helpful. I'll forgive you for not knowing how to interpret scientific studies showing the effectiveness of surgical masks. I can't forgive you for thinking you're smarter than the doctors and scientists who actually study this stuff.

I've seen COVID burn through a nursing home despite EVERYONE religiously following CDC/CMS infection prevention and control guidance.

Yeah, you can't provide care from six feet away, but there have been plenty of studies that show the six feet rule was complete bullshit and never worked. The BS masks most people wear are also completely ineffective, and even the gold-standard N-95 doesn't work unless you're properly fit-tested.

I would suggest you back down, Wolf.

I've seen COVID burn through a nursing home despite EVERYONE religiously following CDC/CMS infection prevention and control guidance.

Yeah, you can't provide care from six feet away, but there have been plenty of studies that show the six feet rule was complete bullshit and never worked. The BS masks most people wear are also completely ineffective, and even the gold-standard N-95 doesn't work unless you're properly fit-tested.

Lol. Yeah, I'm sure virology is in the back section of the HR manual. Stick with what you know-the current cost of Marlboros and natty light.

Yep. That doesn't give you expertise anymore than me sending patients to LTC makes me an expert on the appropriate number of gait belts to have on hand.

I sit in meetings listening to the IPCO experts tell us what's really happening out there in the real world. Surgical masks are basically useless and social distancing in a crowd is pure fantasy for infection prevention.

Someone doesn't understand how probabilities work.

I’m not a wacko, but…

I’m more and more convinced the Covid hysteria was overblown, and even talking about it still is only done by those who like control.

Last edited:
So, the "at risk" person should be able to go where ever she wants, and everyone else has to make way for her?

Who is being the asshole here?
One asked the other to do something, and the other mocked her in front of strangers. She could have just said no and moved on with her life. If you really have to ask who the asshole is in this case, you’re an asshole or socially inept. Which one is it?

One asked the other to do something, and the other mocked her in front of strangers. She could have just said no and moved on with her life. If you really have to ask who the asshole is in this case, you’re an asshole or socially inept. Which one is it?

"Everybody has to accommodate me!"

Sorry, I'm done with that shit.

"Everybody has to accommodate me!"

Sorry, I'm done with that shit.
She asked… clearly you’re so worked up over COVID you don’t know how to be a decent human. The lady was high risk. I’ll accommodate her because I’m not a selfish asshole and it’s sure as hell not as big of a deal as you’re making it out to be. You sound like a really miserable ****.

She asked… clearly you’re so worked up over COVID you don’t know how to be a decent human. The lady was high risk. I’ll accommodate her because I’m not a selfish asshole and it’s sure as hell not as big of a deal as you’re making it out to be. You sound like a really miserable ****.

She wasn't high risk. Her life-partner is. So she expects everybody in a FREAKING AIRPORT to give her social distancing space? Seriously????

Why can't she self-quarantine for 10 days after traveling before coming into contact with her significant other?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT