ADVERTISEMENT

ARIZONA: Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian

Think about scale: There was also least a few billion or more miles driven by humans yesterday than there was by autonomous robots. Multiply this incident to equal the number of human drivers/miles to robot drivers/miles and now we are somewhere in the realm of tens of thousands of deaths.
3 trillion per year. I don't think he thought the math through on this.

From what I understand we're going to need some major infrastructure like microchipped roads and wifi service everywhere. I question major spending on infrastructure like this when we have an aging energy grid, bridges and roads in disrepair, unhealthy drinking water, lack of water in areas of the country, etc. It's irresponsible to spend resources on something like this when our current infrastructure is falling apart. I think the people of Flint would rather have drinking water than self driving cars.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Think about scale: There was also least a few billion or more miles driven by humans yesterday than there was by autonomous robots. Multiply this incident to equal the number of human drivers/miles to robot drivers/miles and now we are somewhere in the realm of tens of thousands of deaths.

Still depends on the cause, though. If there's a flaw in the system that needs to be fixed, then yes, that's somewhat projectable. If, however, the pedestrian darted out of the dark at the last instant into the car's path, then it's less an autonomous car issue and more an inherent risk of large thing moving fast issue.

3 trillion per year. I don't think he thought the math through on this.

I never had the math. I said that right away. One company already was claiming they had the 4 million mile mark as of last year. Who knows what that number is now, and how much of that was on public vs. closed roads? Google cars hit the million mile mark last year as well. Same question still applies. And as far as I know no fault has been issued so far in this ONE incident. It still could be just an accident... Someone wasn't looking and didn't see a car and stepped out in front of it. Happens every day, regardless of who's driving the car.

So, should Jaywalking be a capital offence? This doesn't seem a step forward to me.
Perhaps reduced liability for the driver or driverless car if you cross outside of a designated area.

What I don’t get is why hire all the programmers, code writers, software engineers to develop self-driving cars from places where no one has any friggin clue how to drive in the first place?

Police release the video pretty clear to see this technology is still a work in progress. The person in the car was totally pointless.

Reactions: Gimmered
Can't wait till all the cars on 380 are going exactly the speed limit as will be demanded by all the insurance companies and their lobbyists.

446px-Boyslifecars.jpg
I have a bunch of Boys Life magazines from the 1960s.
After seeing the video I can see how the accident happened. The woman stepped out of almost total darkness and in front of the car. Wonder what she was thinking.

I have a bunch of Boys Life magazines from the 1960s.
After seeing the video I can see how the accident happened. The woman stepped out of almost total darkness and in front of the car. Wonder what she was thinking.
She didn't just step out, she was more than half way across the street and it was a lighted intersection. A human paying attention would have seen her easily.

I was thinking the same thing, if she was outside of a zone that would impact the performance of the vehicle, what are the expectations?

Well. I think the primary expectation would be for a self driving vehicle that doesn't run down pedestrians,... Be they in a defined crosswalk or jumping out from between parked cars chasing a ball....

Reactions: Gimmered
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT