ADVERTISEMENT

Arland Bruce has arrived & is practicing w/ Brody Brecht at Ankeny. FINALLY, ON OCTOBER 1, Ruled ELIGIBLE to Play.

As someone with limited time to read this thread and a very limited understanding of what’s going on in regard to Bruce’s eligibility, can someone please provide a brief summary? Who got him ruled ineligibile? What does it have to do with CF and/or ISU? Are people posting in this thread representing Bruce legally? What a mess this seems like!

Legend - it went fine. Actually very good. I won’t comment anymore on the merits but will on the procedure. They will not email the ruling but only send it by mail. So by that even if they ruled today in Arland’s favor to play we wouldn’t know until at least Saturday. Another missed game. Even though they have emailed other documents and info. Not hard to attach a ruling going out in regular mail to an email. That is simply unbelievable IMO. Actually ridiculous.

I am assuming you have heard something Legend?

Nothing. I don't know how the process works when it gets this far so am interested to see if Bruce finds out today he can or can't play...or if they at least give them a timeline for deciding.

Would be odd to see the IAHSAA go against Bruce if they know the case will be put back into the same judge's hands, but not sure if just letting him play opens it up for many others and they don't want to do that.

Legend - good point but “many others” would be 3. As they need to have already been enrolled and implemented the process. As far as the association has told us it is a total of 3 ruled ineligible. And don’t know if the other 2 appealed. So really wouldn’t be floodgates opening. But understand your point.

Legend - good point but “many others” would be 3. As they need to have already been enrolled and implemented the process. As far as the association has told us it is a total of 3 ruled ineligible. And don’t know if the other 2 appealed. So really wouldn’t be floodgates opening. But understand your point.
Not this year, but in upcoming years it could be crazy.

Yep agree Calm. But who they already ruled eligible is gonna be used against them. But whatever they decide they decide.

Not this year, but in upcoming years it could be crazy.
If you read the rule, its seems none of these kids should have been given eligibility right away. They are all here to play football, and that is it, which goes against the foundation of the actual rule

Once they started to pick and choose, the IHSAA opened themselves up to scrutiny.

Perhaps they can fall back on covid and how that impacted the interpretation of the rules should some other event drive kids to Iowa to play high school football. But they handled this poorly from the start.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
If you read the rule, its seems none of these kids should have been given eligibility right away. They are all here to play football, and that is it, which goes against the foundation of the actual rule

Once they started to pick and choose, the IHSAA opened themselves up to scrutiny.

Perhaps they can fall back on covid and how that impacted the interpretation of the rules should some other event drive kids to Iowa to play high school football. But they handled this poorly from the start.

Anytime you leave things to the interpretation of others intent you are going to have a major problem with enforcement.

Their intent to be here just to play should have zero bearing at all on anything. Are they living in the district? Are they attending school? Are they passing their classes? Those are objective.benchmarks. Anything beyond that is bs

Anytime you leave things to the interpretation of others intent you are going to have a major problem with enforcement.

Their intent to be here just to play should have zero bearing at all on anything. Are they living in the district? Are they attending school? Are they passing their classes? Those are objective.benchmarks. Anything beyond that is bs

But, what if they have an apartment in one district and in another........ The bs part is not allowing everyone to do the same thing, as it has been happening for years.

Points raised are interesting. I will say this. First, the Association drafted and promulgated the rules. So if they are ambiguous or actually silent that is on them. Not other people. Second, on the spirit to prevent kids from transferring just to play, there is a kid eligible who transferred from Illinois and said explicitly he transferred “only” to try and get a college scholarship. Arland already has one. So still not sure the basis. That said, I told Legend will stop on the merits. But very pissed on this timing. They have had everything and now to add to it they have to “mail” the ruling. They already emailed the first ruling to Ankeny HS and how hard is it to attach the ruling to an email regardless of what it is so decisions can be made as expedient as possible as the season ticks down.

But, what if they have an apartment in one district and in another........ The bs part is not allowing everyone to do the same thing, as it has been happening for years.

Lots of wealthy people have multiple residences. If the kid is living in the apartment and attending school that should be all that matters. Especially the attending school part.

We are looking at buying a second home in Florida right now. If we were to make that our residence during the school year and my kid attends school every day why would it matter if their younger brother is living in Iowa and attending school here?

It doesn't matter. Are you renting or owning within the district? Are you attending class? Are you passing?

Anything beyond that is putting the power of perception into someone's hands that shouldn't have that power.

The ihsaa is going to get slapped around by this judge if it comes back in front of him. As they should.

The attorney should look at filing civil litigation if the kid doesn't play tomorrow night. We can only mail our response out? Bullshit

Reactions: BigTenHawkeye
Points raised are interesting. I will say this. First, the Association drafted and promulgated the rules. So if they are ambiguous or actually silent that is on them. Not other people. Second, on the spirit to prevent kids from transferring just to play, there is a kid eligible who transferred from Illinois and said explicitly he transferred “only” to try and get a college scholarship.

Did the kid from Illinois transfer or move? There is a difference and I think that is where the IAHSAA is looking for determining eligibility, right or wrong.

Lots of wealthy people have multiple residences. If the kid is living in the apartment and attending school that should be all that matters. Especially the attending school part.

Bruce and his mother are living with another family in Ankeny....their lease with that family is for $100 per month per court records.

We are looking at buying a second home in Florida right now. If we were to make that our residence during the school year and my kid attends school every day why would it matter if their younger brother is living in Iowa and attending school here?

It doesn't matter. Are you renting or owning within the district? Are you attending class? Are you passing?

Anything beyond that is putting the power of perception into someone's hands that shouldn't have that power.

The ihsaa is going to get slapped around by this judge if it comes back in front of him. As they should.

The attorney should look at filing civil litigation if the kid doesn't play tomorrow night. We can only mail our response out? Bullshit

But what about statements like "I am going to school in Iowa to play football"

Thomas%20mask%20bullshit.jpg

With all the crap going on in the world, let the kid play for cryin out loud.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Legend - here are the quotes (paraphrased) on the kid from Illinois at Dowling. My Dad and I live in apartment. My Mom and siblings who still live in Illinois will be taking the “interstate” each week to watch me play. I just hope to get a scholarship offer somewhere. Those be the quotes from the kid himself.

Thanks Doff. Wish you ran the Association! So does the Bruce family.
Real quick, without going thru all 9 pages of this thread, can you give the bullet points of what is required in Iowa HS sports of a transfer (in state or out of state, like Arland) to be eligible at the CURRENT school? And then, in Arland's case, where the problem(s) lie?

TIA

Real quick, without going thru all 9 pages of this thread, can you give the bullet points of what is required in Iowa HS sports of a transfer (in state or out of state, like Arland) to be eligible at the CURRENT school? And then, in Arland's case, where the problem(s) lie?

TIA

Sounds like they haven’t spelled it out...which is why it can’t be rectified. Will be interested to hear his reply and see if remedies can be done if the rulings and court go against him.

Can imagine Bruce is especially pissed since his old HS team is playing tomorrow night and sounds like there is no way he will be.

TIA

The basic rule.

The student will become eligible at 4:00 PM on the 90th day. In ruling upon the eligibility of transfer students, the executive board shall consider the factors motivating student changes in residency. Unless otherwise provided in these rules, a student intending to establish residency must show that the student is physically present in the district for the purpose of making a home and not solely for school or athletic purposes.

It is not even up for debate if the kids were playing football in their home state they would be asking to play in Iowa. At its core the reason to come here is to play football.

But there are exceptions to the rule however and I believe its #9 on the list of exceptions is the one that is causing the discussion. Fair and reasonable is a rather broad topic :)

(9) In any transfer situation not provided for elsewhere in this chapter, the Executive Board shall exercise its administrative authority to make any eligibility ruling which it deems to be fair and reasonable. The Executive Board shall consider the motivating factors for the student transfer. The determination shall be made in writing with the reasons for the determination clearly delineated,

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
Sounds like they haven’t spelled it out...which is why it can’t be rectified. Will be interested to hear his reply and see if remedies can be done if the rulings and court go against him.

Can imagine Bruce is especially pissed since his old HS team is playing tomorrow night and sounds like there is no way he will be.
I thought he moved because his old HS wasn't playing?

IAm - his prior high school started football after he was already enrolled at Ankeny. So thus far he has been screwed on both fronts. Of note, his former teammate in Kansas who was ruled eligible did catch the game winning TD for Waukee against Ankeny as Arland watched from the sidelines last Friday.

"The rules do not require the entire family to move at one time. If that is what they are hanging their hats on ... they are reading additional language" into the rules, Bruce's attorney says.

"What message are we trying to send? That if you're a single parent and don't have a lot of money, then we're going to punish your child," the family's attorney said.

Arland had to sit out another game on Friday, Sep 11. The IHSAA deliberated on Thursday Sep 10 and planned on mailing Bruce its ruling following Sep 10's appeal hearing. Bruce's attorneys were hoping for a quick, emailed ruling.

The Story:

Last edited:
"The rules do not require the entire family to move at one time. If that is what they are hanging their hats on ... they are reading additional language" into the rules, Bruce's attorney says.

"What message are we trying to send? That if you're a single parent and don't have a lot of money, then we're going to punish your child," the family's attorney said.

Arland had to sit out another game on Friday, Sep 11. The IHSAA deliberated on Thursday Sep 10 and planned on mailing Bruce its ruling following Sep 10's appeal hearing. Bruce's attorneys were hoping for a quick, emailed ruling.

MAILING THEIR RULING? Come on, this is 2020. At the very least they could send their ruling via a horseback messenger. What a sh!tshow. The state of Iowa looks very backwards here.

Could comment but after talking to multiple other lawyers who post on here or read these these boards who have sided with me I agree to totally not do it. Legend is simply a bad person. There is a reason many people don’t post anymore. Legend hope you are happy you accused my Mom of suicide as she died slowly by cancer. You are a sick f. Will keep my inside to the wrestling board where people are not insane.

MAILING THEIR RULING? Come on, this is 2020. At the very least they could send their ruling via a horseback messenger. What a sh!tshow. The state of Iowa looks very backwards here.

You mean after they emailed the original ruling? Pretty petty move by the boy$ in Boone and their a$$ ociation

Reactions: hawkedoff
CID - that is the most ridiculous part of this. I mean we can guess how they are gonna rule since nobody wants to admit they are wrong. But to say they need to mail it when we agreed email is not only fine but requested as time is critical. They basically said rules are rules. About the only time they have followed their own rules in this matter but I digress. That said, they didn’t have much of an answer when they were reminded that their original ruling was sent by email so I think they kind of waived the “snail mail” supposed requirement. But mail it is. Really is unreal and not only petty but prejudicial. Let’s say they did the ruling Thursday or even yesterday and God forbid admitted they were wrong, so we get it today or Monday after Arland already missed another game? Or they simply rubber stamped their decision and we have to go to Court for an emergency hearing which could have been done yesterday in time for the game but we won’t know either way until the mail truck comes. Sorry for the bitch but come on.

CID - that is the most ridiculous part of this. I mean we can guess how they are gonna rule since nobody wants to admit they are wrong. But to say they need to mail it when we agreed email is not only fine but requested as time is critical. They basically said rules are rules. About the only time they have followed their own rules in this matter but I digress. That said, they didn’t have much of an answer when they were reminded that their original ruling was sent by email so I think they kind of waived the “snail mail” supposed requirement. But mail it is. Really is unreal and not only petty but prejudicial. Let’s say they did the ruling Thursday or even yesterday and God forbid admitted they were wrong, so we get it today or Monday after Arland already missed another game? Or they simply rubber stamped their decision and we have to go to Court for an emergency hearing which could have been done yesterday in time for the game but we won’t know either way until the mail truck comes. Sorry for the bitch but come on.

They are showing their true colors. Might be time for influential people to start looking at some form of an alternative organization.

CID - totally agree. Merits are what they are. But procedurally it is a joke. Can’t email a ruling now when you did previously?! When you know you have a truncated season and the kid is going to school and practicing? Basically just hamstringing the timeline for whether a kid can play. The way they are playing the long game the season will be over. And obviously then a moot point. A very sad commentary on the process especially the ad hoc decisions on when to apply the “rules” or not. Just be f’n transparent and not play a shell game. As Brody Brecht tweeted (I don’t know how to do twitter but my kids do) in a nutshell just be fair and consistent.

CID - totally agree. Merits are what they are. But procedurally it is a joke. Can’t email a ruling now when you did previously?! When you know you have a truncated season and the kid is going to school and practicing? Basically just hamstringing the timeline for whether a kid can play. The way they are playing the long game the season will be over. And obviously then a moot point. A very sad commentary on the process especially the ad hoc decisions on when to apply the “rules” or not. Just be f’n transparent and not play a shell game. As Brody Brecht tweeted (I don’t know how to do twitter but my kids do) in a nutshell just be fair and consistent.

The way they have it set up there is no accountability or oversight to make sure they are consistent or fairly. It is a monarchy where the ruling is made by the king and reviewed by the king. If I had unlimited $’s we would start soliciting alternative options.

The Story:

NOTE that Ankeny head coach Rick Nelson said he'd want Arland to play even if he had transferred to Dowling.

Posts this:
Could comment but after talking to multiple other lawyers who post on here or read these these boards who have sided with me I agree to totally not do it.

Then follows with this:

ADVERTISEMENT