ADVERTISEMENT

Arland Bruce has arrived & is practicing w/ Brody Brecht at Ankeny. FINALLY, ON OCTOBER 1, Ruled ELIGIBLE to Play.

Mepo - not yet. Still waiting on the appeal ruling which I think will be adverse. However, if so, the immediate action will be back to Court. Bottom line is will be shocked if we don’t know this week.

Mepo - not yet. Still waiting on the appeal ruling which I think will be adverse. However, if so, the immediate action will be back to Court. Bottom line is will be shocked if we don’t know this week.
Shouldn’t it have been delivered today?

Don’t ya think? Something about rain on a wedding day or death row pardon 2 minutes too late. But seriously, it is being sent to my office. They have 5 days from last Thursday to issue the ruling. We asked for email of the ruling and when they said no we offered to drive to their office to get it. Once again denied. Weird since they emailed the initial ruling. Just infuriating especially for Arland, his family and the team and coaches.

Don’t ya think? Something about rain on a wedding day or death row pardon 2 minutes too late. But seriously, it is being sent to my office. They have 5 days from last Thursday to issue the ruling. We asked for email of the ruling and when they said no we offered to drive to their office to get it. Once again denied. Weird since they emailed the initial ruling. Just infuriating especially for Arland, his family and the team and coaches.
5 days or 5 business days? And 5 days for it to be delivered/mailed or 5 days for them to make a decision and then mail it?

5 days to make a decision. Of course no definition in their own rules. But by law that means 5 normal days. So they can make it tomorrow and stick in the mail. Rest assured if the ruling is simply a rubber stamp ineligible ruling this will be before the Court before the game Friday. Thanks for the questions though. And as I said, the merits are what they are but the cavalier position on timing with a truncated season really is specious.

[B said:
"MepoDawg#, post: 8088776, member: 12860"]
Guessing this means he’s not eligible to play HS football in Iowa.[/B]

I didn't realize that the IHSAA had a dotted line reporting to the Swamp. The college level is one thing, oh wait, no difference , BUT for these un-elected overlords/orligarchs of the IHSAA that have zero student-athlete core values, specifically, they haven't heard the phrase, "it's for the kids", therefore, the hell with'm.

Sorry, that's what these "lockdowns & secure in place for EVERYBODY does to me.

Thanking you in advance,
A non-estential, deplorable, & incorigable poster.

I’ve learned one thing in life and that some people are just plain dicks and suck as human beings. Sounds like this board needs to have a write up on each one of them and highlight their failures or missteps in life. Then resign from the board because they clearly have ulterior motives in mind.

How sad is it they won’t email their decision when they did it the first time. Seems to me they don’t want the decision to decline his request to play so the family has time to deal with it in the court of law.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
So Tom Keating is the head of the Ihsaa right now and had this to say in the Des Moines Register in August.

Really it comes down to if a family is going to pick up and move and give up their home, wherever they’re at now, and come and make a residence in Iowa and some districts in Iowa, then by administrative code, they're eligible. If they don't, if they try to get around it by living with a relative or a friend or renting an apartment or something of that nature, then that doesn't cut it.

That is Tom Keating stating quite clearly that a kid living in an apartment doesn't qualify from his perspective. Living with a relative or friend doesn't cut it either in his mind.

Tom Keating was the coach for powerhouse Dubuque Wahlert volleyball and won 11 state titles as the coach. I remember hearing rumors of recruiting to that program for years. That girls were moving to Dubuque from all over the state of Iowa and from outside the state because of the success of the program and because if you have talent you know the recruiters will be at the games. I wonder how difficult it would be for a smart journalist or let's say attorney to do a little digging and see if the rumors are true. I have no way of knowing but it sure seems weird that a small catholic high school n Dubuque had such a long run at such a high level for so long don't you think? Was that all home grown talent?

Also find it strange that renting an apartment or staying with family is the dividing line on eligibility. Seems like a guy that is out of touch with people that don't have certain financial resources. Also seems like a pretty hard thing to defend from an adminstrative standpoint when there are obviously a whole bunch of kids that do this around the state on a regular basis. I wonder if they followed this strict interpretation at Dubuque Wahlert.

Keating is not saying you cannot move into or live in an apartment and still be eligible. Or that you cannot live with another family member (grandparent, aunt/uncle, etc)

Please provide your interpretation
So you believe that Tom Keating is saying that no Iowan can live in an apartment and be eligible to participate in iahsaa sanctioned activities? You truly believe that is what he said or is saying?

So you believe that Tom Keating is saying that no Iowan can live in an apartment and be eligible to participate in iahsaa sanctioned activities? You truly believe that is what he said or is saying?

Did you read the entire comment? And put it into the context that it was intended? I think you need to take another crack at 'reading it correctly'. He was addressing the issue of people 'moving' to Iowa for the fall.

Really it comes down to if a family is going to pick up and move and give up their home, wherever they’re at now, and come and make a residence in Iowa and some districts in Iowa, then by administrative code, they're eligible. If they don't, if they try to get around it by living with a relative or a friend or renting an apartment or something of that nature, then that doesn't cut it.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
Please provide your interpretation
You need to look at the part where he says "give up their home" and "make residence in Iowa or a district" vs simply renting an apartment (wink, wink) or staying with a relative to get around the rules.

That's the problem with the process. What exactly does it mean to give up your home or take up residency? Is it specifically spelled out, who and how are they determining this, are they applying the rules to equally to everyone? What hardships or other waivers are given? Those are the issues with the iahssa- they can never seem to define these types of things and their decision are often quite arbritary and you end up scratching your head trying to figure out how they came up with their decision. Trust me, I'm no fan of the iahsaa going back to berniw saggau and then with Alan beste. I was a HS coach and had to deal with them occasionally and it was frustrating beyond belief at times

I won’t comment on all this except to Eppy. He can’t go back to Kansas to play. You need to be enrolled in the school at the time they made a decision to play. Which was made after Arland was already enrolled and going to class at Ankeny. So not an option.

Did you read the entire comment? And put it into the context that it was intended? I think you need to take another crack at 'reading it correctly'. He was addressing the issue of people 'moving' to Iowa for the fall.

Which is ton Keating and the ihsaa basically deciding for themselves whether a kid living in an apt or with a relative is worthy of playing. So if someone with the wealth to do so buys a house it's fine right? Or if they sign a lease at 2k a month that is ok? It is a commentary on wealth not on intent.

Once again this rule sure didn't seem to apply to Tom when he was the coach at Dubuque Wahlert.

Which is ton Keating and the ihsaa basically deciding for themselves whether a kid living in an apt or with a relative is worthy of playing. So if someone with the wealth to do so buys a house it's fine right? Or if they sign a lease at 2k a month that is ok? It is a commentary on wealth not on intent.

Once again this rule sure didn't seem to apply to Tom when he was the coach at Dubuque Wahlert.

I wasn’t taking a position on the issue. Just correcting someone on how they interpreted the quote from Keating.

I think the boy$ in Boone have screwed the pooch on this one. Their decision to mail the result was a childish, petty maneuver. They need some oversight and some changes.

You need to look at the part where he says "give up their home" and "make residence in Iowa or a district" vs simply renting an apartment (wink, wink) or staying with a relative to get around the rules.

Ummm, I did. When asked for an interpretation it didn’t appear that you did.

Ummm, I did. When asked for an interpretation it didn’t appear that you did.

Hawkedoff said: "Tom Keating stating quite clearly that a kid living in an apartment doesn't qualify from his perspective." I said Keating said no such thing and asked if you honestly believed that his quote means he feels any student athlete living in an apartment, condo, mobile home, or any other type of rental home was ineligible.

My interpretation of what he allegedly said (since no link was provided and we don't have the full quotes), is that if a family gives up their home and comes to Iowa and makes a residence, then they are eligible (although those are pretty vague stipulations..........what does it mean to give up your home or to make a residence?). If they simply sign a rental agreement, that doesn't automatically mean they are eligible, as it doesn't necessarily mean the family/parent(s) have moved into the district or that the rental agreement is for an actual rental property, etc. For years, families have tried to get around the system (as Keating mentions) by getting a PO box in a school district, using a relatives address as their own, renting a place that they don't actually reside in, renting a garage or building and claiming it as their residence, giving guardianship to a coach or school employee or parent of a teammate and saying that the kid lives with them, etc. That's why he is saying simply having a rental agreement isn't enough.

Hawkedoff said: "Tom Keating stating quite clearly that a kid living in an apartment doesn't qualify from his perspective." I said Keating said no such thing and asked if you honestly believed that his quote means he feels any student athlete living in an apartment, condo, mobile home, or any other type of rental home was ineligible.

My interpretation of what he allegedly said (since no link was provided and we don't have the full quotes), is that if a family gives up their home and comes to Iowa and makes a residence, then they are eligible (although those are pretty vague stipulations..........what does it mean to give up your home or to make a residence?). If they simply sign a rental agreement, that doesn't automatically mean they are eligible, as it doesn't necessarily mean the family/parent(s) have moved into the district or that the rental agreement is for an actual rental property, etc. For years, families have tried to get around the system (as Keating mentions) by getting a PO box in a school district, using a relatives address as their own, renting a place that they don't actually reside in, renting a garage or building and claiming it as their residence, giving guardianship to a coach or school employee or parent of a teammate and saying that the kid lives with them, etc. That's why he is saying simply having a rental agreement isn't enough.

Allegedly said. My god you are a fool. Go look it up yourself in the Des Moines Register. I copied and pasted the paragraph relevant.

Your interpretation is yours and mine is mine. My interpretation though is based on his actual words and how he has followed through on those words with this kid.

You do understand the judge has already made it clear the ihsaa needs to clear him to play right? That he didn't rule because the kid hadn't exhausted his appeal to the ihsaa but told them what he expects.

Tom Keating and the board will get their asses kicked in court and maybe they should. The way they have conducted themselves here is shameful. None of them should be retained on that board.

Allegedly said. My god you are a fool. Go look it up yourself in the Des Moines Register. I copied and pasted the paragraph relevant.

Your interpretation is yours and mine is mine. My interpretation though is based on his actual words and how he has followed through on those words with this kid.

You do understand the judge has already made it clear the ihsaa needs to clear him to play right? That he didn't rule because the kid hadn't exhausted his appeal to the ihsaa but told them what he expects.

Tom Keating and the board will get their asses kicked in court and maybe they should. The way they have conducted themselves here is shameful. None of them should be retained on that board.

Well, I guess I better advise student athletes that I know that are currently living in apartments that their eligibility is in jeopardy. Please don't share that with the IAHSAA.

Wonder how many kids in Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Des Moines, etc, live in apartments and are still eligible.

Well, I guess I better advise student athletes that I know that are currently living in apartments that their eligibility is in jeopardy. Please don't share that with the IAHSAA.

Wonder how many kids in Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Des Moines, etc, live in apartments and are still eligible.

At least the ones that move to a new district with a single mother. Yeah you probably should.

It’s usually common practice to read the entire post. Taking one sentence and extrapolating like you did can make you....... well be you. If I follow your approach I could do the same..... if you sold your house and moved you will be ineligible, you can only be eligible if you give up your home. Keating said so. Do you work for The National Enquirer?

ADVERTISEMENT