ADVERTISEMENT

Arland Bruce has arrived & is practicing w/ Brody Brecht at Ankeny. FINALLY, ON OCTOBER 1, Ruled ELIGIBLE to Play.

Would be surprised if they allow him to play this week until they hear the case. Surprised IHSAA took that position with the judges statement, seems to be spiteful on their part. However, that has been my experience working with that specific law firm.

Last edited:
I believe there is a hearing at 1:30 PM today....hopefully it is with the same judge and therefore there will not be the need to bring another person up to speed on the facts of the case.

So legend, are you leaning towards that they should allow the injunction, until the case is likely heard next week? Surprised that is your viewpoint, thought you were actually more on the side of the IHSAA.

Wow, what a piece of work the boy$ in Boone are. In a recent stretch I watched two all state kids get an 'apartment' in a small town, their parents stayed in their house in a neighboring town, siblings stayed in the original schools and no eligibility issues arose out of that.

Some salty individuals in the IHSAA didn't want Ankeny to benefit from transfers.........

Good ole fashioned hypocrisy.

I understand their viewpoint, its to avoid power schools getting unnecessary kids into their district for sports reasons. However, they are making an economic decision in this case. What is the threshold for rent that has to be considered reasonable? You are basically allowing those who are more financially wealthy to be able to get through their rules than those who do not.

Wow, what a piece of work the boy$ in Boone are. In a recent stretch I watched two all state kids get an 'apartment' in a small town, their parents stayed in their house in a neighboring town, siblings stayed in the original schools and no eligibility issues arose out of that.

Rumblings in Ankeny are saying this has been going on for years in Ankeny. Kids "transfer" to Centennial from Ankeny to play sports. Watching Ankeny win the boys basketball title and play for the baseball title was pretty damn sweet for this Ankeny Hawk. The football game this year was awesome. 48-6 Hawks.

Last edited:
Reactions: wad57
Rumblings in Ankeny are saying this has been going on for years in Ankeny. Kids "transfer" to Centennial from Ankeny to play sports. Watching Ankeny win the boys basketball title and play for the baseball title was pretty damn sweet for this Ankeny Hawk. The football game this year was awesome. 48-6 Hawks.
National Championship....

The IAHSAA blows. They should have their powers stricken and the Iowa high schools can build a new association from the ground up.

I understand not allowing athletes to transfer schools just to get on a better team, however in this case the student's school was not playing football due to COVID. I would think that should be a special exception. Everyone is having to make accommodations due to this virus why not let the kid play?

I’m curious to read the impressions of legal counsel pertaining to yesterday’s hearing.

It was Judge Paul Scott. Aurora - the Judge seemed a little more focused on the “right” versus “privilege” issue than necessarily on the remedy issue which as you know was Judge Hanson’s main issue. Quite frankly, not overly confident. Feel just awful for the Bruce family. Watching his former team now decide to play after he was already enrolled at Ankeny and also seeing a former teammate from Kansas play for Waukee while it is clear the Association has a hard on for Arland.

It was Judge Paul Scott. Aurora - the Judge seemed a little more focused on the “right” versus “privilege” issue than necessarily on the remedy issue which as you know was Judge Hanson’s main issue. Quite frankly, not overly confident. Feel just awful for the Bruce family. Watching his former team now decide to play after he was already enrolled at Ankeny and also seeing a former teammate from Kansas play for Waukee while it is clear the Association has a hard on for Arland.

I'm speaking at the IDCA conference this morning. I'll email you some thoughts later in the day.

Are you saying one of his teammates was approved to play and he was not? If that is the case, how can anyone justify that?

Scott is a good judge but have no idea how he will rule on this. What I just don't understand is why IHSAA just won't say they are going to make exception because of these weird times? That way they don't establish any precedent for an interpretation they don't like while at the same time letting the kid play.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Aurora - sounds good. I have spoken at those seminars before. And I am all for having rules but for one, if you draft them and they are vague, ambiguous and/or silent on certain issues that is your fault. You should not be allowed to add additional language after the fact when people relied on what was actually written. Second, you are not entitled to enforce them in an ad hoc manner which is clearly the case here. I could discuss the facts of other out of stare transfers who are playing and it is quite shocking the disparate treatment of Arland.

Abby - yes that was the salt in the wound part. His former teammate from Kansas caught the game winning TD for Waukee with like 10 seconds left will Arland stood and watched ineligible.

Aurora - sounds good. I have spoken at those seminars before. And I am all for having rules but for one, if you draft them and they are vague, ambiguous and/or silent on certain issues that is your fault. You should not be allowed to add additional language after the fact when people relied on what was actually written. Second, you are not entitled to enforce them in an ad hoc manner which is clearly the case here. I could discuss the facts of other out of stare transfers who are playing and it is quite shocking the disparate treatment of Arland.
Now they say a number of Des Moines HS players are planning to transfer, because of the impasse with DMPS going all virtual classes and that means kids can't do sports.

I am - it already happened. I am friends with a family who’s kid is transferring from Roosevelt to Dowling and plans to suit up on the line. I said it before. The Association has taken a very keen interest, for whatever reason, in the Bruce case.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I am - it already happened. I am friends with a family who’s kid is transferring from Roosevelt to Dowling and plans to suit up on the line. I said it before. The Association has taken a very keen interest, for whatever reason, in the Bruce case.

It sure as hell seems like it. Is there any possible way to file a lawsuit on the grounds of something prejudicial? There have been crazier lawsuits. Would love to see these dickheads feet to the fire. They can eat shit and rot.

Black and Gold - won’t say whether will or won’t or how it would be done. That said, would absolutely love to know exactly what due diligence or investigation they did on all these other kids that are eligible. Because there is no way they all sold their houses in Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, etc. within a week of being told their high school was not playing, moved the whole family to Iowa (we already know a Dowling player didn’t as he said it on the paper that his Mom and siblings still live in Illinois), and enrolled in school. Yet all these kids are somehow eligible. I am guessing each of these kids have a couple pages in their file with the Association while Arland for whatever reason has a book.

And tom Keating had lots of girls transfer to Dubuque Wahlert to win his 11 state championships. He is a piece of garbage

Now they say a number of Des Moines HS players are planning to transfer, because of the impasse with DMPS going all virtual classes and that means kids can't do sports.
This is not true. I talked to the Roosevelt head football coach the other night and he is still fielding constant calls about players wanting to transfer in. Not a word about anyone transferring out.

Black and Gold - won’t say whether will or won’t or how it would be done. That said, would absolutely love to know exactly what due diligence or investigation they did on all these other kids that are eligible. Because there is no way they all sold their houses in Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, etc. within a week of being told their high school was not playing, moved the whole family to Iowa (we already know a Dowling player didn’t as he said it on the paper that his Mom and siblings still live in Illinois), and enrolled in school. Yet all these kids are somehow eligible. I am guessing each of these kids have a couple pages in their file with the Association while Arland for whatever reason has a book.

It's awfully inconsistent, as if there is an ulterior motive for denying Bruce. I absolutely hate bureaucracy and politics, especially when it's at the expense of a kid. I'm sure, though, it's because Tom Keating and whatever other self-important assholes who make these determinations care so much about following the letter of the law. 🙄🥴 Riiiiiiiiight.

Whatever you can do to make their lives miserable, do it.

This is not true.

tenor.gif

Fran - great question. We don’t know. Nor do we know about all the other kids who are eligible and why. It has been a moving target. What we heard was dual residence, whole family moves at once, etc? No clue. Because I do know about 5 eligible kids who would violate those reasons.

It sure as hell seems like it. Is there any possible way to file a lawsuit on the grounds of something prejudicial? There have been crazier lawsuits. Would love to see these dickheads feet to the fire. They can eat shit and rot.
what are the current salaries of these people and how do they get voted out?

Fran - great question. We don’t know. Nor do we know about all the other kids who are eligible and why. It has been a moving target. What we heard was dual residence, whole family moves at once, etc? No clue. Because I do know about 5 eligible kids who would violate those reasons.
I hope a lawsuit is filed and damages are awarded

My understanding is that a parent already lived in Waukee and the kid moved in with the other parent. Not 100% sure, but is what I have heard. If true is a totally different circumstance from that of Bruce whose family was relocating.

Fran - not going to comment on a lawsuit. But I do think with what we already know on players eligible the Association will look really bad. Aurora Hawk can comment if he wishes.

ADVERTISEMENT